Hints and Tips

Options
I am new to this so any hints and tips for doing it right, add me and share.

Replies

• agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    take "before" pictures. My only regret is that I didn't
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh everything that you eat. Find a good balance, you don't have to give up the foods that you like.
  • i8sushi
    i8sushi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Always take your body measurements, arm, waist, neck etc. You can also use those measurements to measure your body fat percentage and create a goal for yourself such as if you want to see your abs, aim for 9-10% body fat percentage.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Input all your stats (height, wt, goal wt, etc) into MFP

Have specific goal(s) whether it's healthier eating, lose weight, increase muscles etc.

If you are struggling with MFP calorie intake get a second opinion here: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Best of luck to you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Read the Announcements at the top of the message board threads. There is great information in them for getting started.

Baby steps are key. Don't try to change your entire life overnight or you're bound to end up frustrated and overwhelmed and those lead to quitting. Get yourself into the mindset that you're making a lifestyle change and not something that you will eventually finish. Time-based goals for weight loss are bound to lead to "failure". Weight loss is not linear and you will lose pounds faster at the beginning than at the end.

Start out by simply logging everything you eat. Every single thing. Weigh solid foods and measure liquids that can't be weighed. Don't cheat yourself by underestimating calories eaten or overestimating calories burned in exercise. You're only cheating yourself. It's important to understand how much you were really eating before you started because it helps to establish the relationship between amounts of food and why you were gaining before. It also makes it easier to see where you can make simple changes that have a big impact.

Start strength training as soon as possible. In my opinion it's more important than doing cardio. It is easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle. When we lose weight it is a combination of water, fat and muscle. Your body has built up muscles to move around your extra weight. If you can keep them as you lose weight you're going to look amazing when you've lost the fat that is covering them.

The measuring tape is a better tool than the bathroom scale for judging your progress. In addition to "Before" pictures, measure your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking especially if you're lifting weights.
  • NasMax
    NasMax Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am new to this so any hints and tips for doing it right, add me and share.

so hows it been going so far man?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    agal129 wrote: »
    take "before" pictures. My only regret is that I didn't

Definitely this! I'm so glad I did. Take it one day at a time. Not every day will be perfect, but just keep logging/ weighing/ measuring and understand that this isn't a race. Good luck!
  • feneestreats
    Options
    This great info, thank you, newbie