How much weight did you lose in the first month?

Options
I started my weight loss journey 11 days ago, and I've lost 9 lbs since then. I'm 5'6" and I started at 222 lbs. I would be so happy if I could lose 9 more pounds this month.

Replies

• kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs my 1st 4 weeks. It was great motivation when I started and couldn't actually see the progress in the mirror yet.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    17 pounds in my first month, the first 10 came off in the first and second weeks. It was GREAT!
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I was around 15 or so pounds in 4 weeks. I started at 240. I've lost almost 50 in less than 4 months.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    8.8lbs in the first month.
    6lbs in the second month.
    6lbs in the third month.

There's always some water weight early on. You shouldn't expect the rate of loss to continue as quickly in subsequent months.

Slow and steady wins the race.
  • mycrazyturtles
    Options
    Loosing weight it great. Slow and steady still wins the race. Just don't get disappointed if you hit a bad week. If your not loosing wt change up your routine and then get back to it. But we all focus to much on the scale. (even me)
    But I can tell you that I'm still fat but my heart rate is no longer 200 when I'm on the arc trainer or elliptical and that number is way more important to me than how much I weight. I really have to push hard to get my heart rate up over 170 now. So just enjoy the ride of getting there. Been Faithful since Oct 31, 2014 and I am down 26 pounds. But most important Im feeling healthy.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    11 the first month
    7 the second
    3.6 the third

You have to keep in mind some months will be better than others, don't set yourself up for the unnecessary frustration.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that losing too much too quickly isn't necessarily a good sign. If you set up MFP with a goal of, say, 1lb/week, then a month where you drop 4lbs is average. Except for an initial water weight drop in the first few weeks, you probably want to come in around that 4lbs -- some months a bit higher, some a bit lower, but on average. If you're losing too quickly, you could be dropping muscle mass as well as fat, and that is certainly something to avoid. Also, you could be eating too little, and feeling tired and hungry all the time.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    16 the first month
    12 the second
    6 the third

I was close to 50 pounds overweight when I started. This was about 2 years ago and before I started using MFP. I ran a daily 5k from day 1 in addition to making healthier eating decisions.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    12 lbs the 1st month. 10 - 12 the next 3 months. Then gradually got slower the closer I got to my target.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    5lbs. But I only have 10 total to lose. In the normal BMI range. It comes off way slower when you only have a little to lose. Something to look forward to...LOL
  • sammcneil
    sammcneil Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up if those numbers slow down. It's important you keep eating right and working hard. Good luck!