Vegan and Gluten Free: Where does the protein come from?

My eventual goal is to eat vegan and gluten free, since I feel ill after eating both diary and gluten. I already have very limited consumption of animal products and I want that to go down to 0. I will start eating eggs again if I get my own chickens, but that won't happen for a while. In the meantime, how should/can I get enough protein to build muscle while completely avoiding animal products, gluten, and soy? Is this simply unsustainable? Will I have to almost definitely supplement with protein powders?

Thanks!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Beans, tvp, tofu, gluten free faux meat, nuts, nut butters, kale, protein powders.......
  • Laurend224
    Lentils
  • Laurend224
    I do know a few gluten free vegans, they have celiac. It is possible.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Nothing wrong with making food choices based on your own personal goals. There are lots of good vegan sources of protein out there, though if you're also avoiding soy, it's going to be tricky.

Re: Gluten free, you might want to have a look at this, though:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-sensitivity-and-study-replication-2014-5

Your decision, your call. Just, I hate to see people who make themselves miserable needlessly.
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Don't forget Peas & Quinoa.
  • Laurend224
    Oops. I overlooked the no soy.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    edited January 2015
    Is the soy an allergy or a sensitivity?

Tempeh (fermented soy) might work...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Quinoa
    Brown rice
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Tofu
    Seitan
    Tempeh
    Quorn
    Veggie burgers
    Vegan cheese
    Legumes (peas, chickpeas)
    Beans (black, white, pinto)
    Hummus
    Flaxseed
    Chia seed
    Hemp protein powder
    Edaname
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Quinoa
    Brown rice
    Broccoli
    Spinach
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Tofu
    Seitan
    Tempeh
    Quorn
    Veggie burgers
    Vegan cheese
    Legumes (peas, chickpeas)
    Beans (black, white, pinto)
    Hummus
    Flaxseed
    Chia seed
    Hemp protein powder
    Edaname

The problem with that list is that some of the things on it contain soy and gluten (which the OP wants to avoid) and that others have very poor protein-to-calorie ratios.

For anyone eating at a deficit, getting adequate protein on a restricted calorie diet means eating a lot of foods with high protein-to-calorie ratios. Most of those foods are off-limits for a gluten-free vegan.

If this is a medically-indicated diet, fine, no choice but to work with it and do the best you can.

But, OP, if this is just out of personal food preference, I really urge you to consider a more flexible version that will include some additional protein sources, within reason. Like you mentioned, adding eggs from local chickens, or maybe some fish caught with sustainable fishing methods, or soy-based proteins if the gluten-free thing isn't based on celiac's, etc.?

Make your own decisions based on your conscience, of course. But you're also a (human) animal, and animal welfare surely should include human welfare and taking care of your own health.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    There are loads of lentil/bean loaf/patty recipes out there which you can make gluten free by using gluten free oats and/or bread crumbs. I should know, I've been eating a ton of them. If any of them call for eggs, you can replace them with a "flax egg" made from 3 tablespoons of flax meal and 6 tablespoons of water.

Google is your friend! Once you have a basic loaf and/or patty recipe that you like, the possibilities are endless, because varying the veggies and seasoning in there opens up a lot of possibilities.

Also, lentils are awesome. You can make lentil chili, lentil taco meat (corn tortillas can be found which are gluten free or make taco salads, lentil meatballs (Google to the rescue again!) ... and they're cheap!
  • yeahbecky
    yeahbecky Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions and the links to resources!