How to make oven cooked chicken breast moist?

Options

Replies

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Don't over cook it?

This. People are so paranoid about under cooking their chicken that they over cook it and it TURNS TO SAWDUST IN YOUR MOUTH. Thermometers are your friends.

Also, a whole hour for one chicken breast? For real?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Maybe a higher temp, and definitely a shorter time. As soon as the meat is "done" and no longer, get it out of there.
  • GAJulie78
    GAJulie78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think as well ovens with fans are convection ovens, correct? Things cook in those much faster than regular ovens from the get-go. Google cooking chicken in convection oven and it will give you some good estimates.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i tend to not bake boneless skinless breasts. i either cook them on the stove or braise them. the oven is a dry heat and you have to be so precise...

i agree with others about the searing though. if you must, sear first. also consider bone in skin on, then remove the skin after cooking. the calories may be higher but not by a lot, and in my opinion eating blah dry chicken is just not my idea of a good diet. anyway the bone and skin add flavor and lock in moisture too,,, and can always be removed after. plus they can be cheaper...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    If I must bake a boneless skinless breast (I agree with chadya; baking isn't the best way to go for those), I dip it in a low-fat Greek yogurt sauce first. Just mix half a cup or so of plain Greek yogurt with curry powder or whatever seasonings you like, quickly dunk the chicken -- the yogurt sauce should be a thin sheen, not a thick coat -- and then bake.

I also agree with the people who said you're overbaking, though. Bake it for a shorter time and let it rest a few minutes before serving.
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    Skyz4dayz wrote: »
    Don't over cook it?

How helpful of you! HERE IS YOUR GOLD STAR!

I don't see what's wrong with saying "don't over cook it". I feel like that's a perfectly valid statement, given that an hour for one chicken breast at 350 is an excessive amount of time. Perhaps you feel that more in depth instruction on how NOT to over cook the chicken breast was warranted?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip, don't cook by time, cook by doneness, bake to about 150, and you're good to go, well, at least in better shape.

Yesterday I cooked some chicken breasts at 140F for 10 hours in a water bath, then seared one up for lunch today. It was amazingly juicy and tender.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Buy more tender cuts.
    Don't over cook. People really do tend to over cook meats.
    Leave the skin on while it cooks, if it still has skin, then remove it after it bakes.
    Marinate.
    Roast with Olive oil.

Some people swear by covering or tenting with foil.

Don't rub salt on it before it cooks. That's just encouraging moisture to leave.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Don't over cook it?

Uh… It is in fact helpful.

The problem isn't the chicken, the problem is overcooking it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't over cook it?

that IS the correct answer to the question though.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Broil it.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    An hour is way too long :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Don't over cook it?

When you learn to cook, you'll learn it's good advice.
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Don't over cook it?

Reminds me of my least favorite chef instructor:

"How long do I bake it for?"
    "UNTIL IT'S EFFING DONE!"

D:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Don't over cook it?

Sweet, it's been awhile since I got to use the Flag!

My opinion: use chicken thigh instead.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sear in a pan, Put a little chicken stock/apple juice/whatever liquid you would like in said pan after searing. Put in oven till cooked.

^^^This!!!

I do in my cast iron pan. Delish!!!
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Don't over cook it?

Sweet, it's been awhile since I got to use the Flag!

My opinion: use chicken thigh instead.

I agree! But didn't say this just because you were asking about chicken breasts. But even though thighs have a little more fat/calories, they taste WAY better and it's really hard to overcook them. They are totally worth it.
  • aekeron
    aekeron Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast doesn't need to hit any higher (you can get away with lower in fact) 60C internal temperature. Purchase a decent thermometer (http://thermapen.co.uk/) and use it to check the internal temperature of the breast every few minutes whilst you sear it in a very hot pan.

It will take less than ten minutes to cook and even less again if you flatten it before cooking.

Brining is a very good tip too. Dry brine is probably the easiest. Just apply a very thin dusting of salt all over the breast the day before you plan to use it and leave it uncovered in the fridge. You'll end up with chicken that is more moist and more flavoursome.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip, don't cook by time, cook by doneness, bake to about 150, and you're good to go, well, at least in better shape.

Yesterday I cooked some chicken breasts at 140F for 10 hours in a water bath, then seared one up for lunch today. It was amazingly juicy and tender.

You don't find the chicken is too... gelatinous at that temp? I agree there is no real reason to cook it to death, and the water bath method allows for lower fully-cooked temps. But 140 seems like it would still be a bit... jelly-like? I may be wrong and at 140 its perfect.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Don't over cook it?

Reminds me of my least favorite chef instructor:

"How long do I bake it for?"
    "UNTIL IT'S EFFING DONE!"

D:

He is very right. You cook it until it's done. Why worry about time? Ambient temperature, oven variations, even your elevation above sea level will affect the TIME it takes to cook something. It's cooked when it reaches the right temperature. Hard to say how long that takes, everything in a cookbook talking about time is only an approximation.