Breaks from tracking

Options
Thinking of going off the grid, tracking wise. Flying to Yucatan this weekend. Would break a 481 day streak with MFP about the same with Fitbit (weight, steps, sleep, blood pressure). Be gone a little over two weeks. Lost about 50 lbs from September 2013 through May 2014. Have maintained a 24% body weight loss since about May 2014 with some minor ups and downs. Would like to drop another 5 or so pounds but also want to increase lean mass - since retirement have added some resistance training and will add some high intensity workouts in near future. Thinking a vacation from the data collection would do me no harm in the long run. Hard to predict what foods will be available. Anybody want to talk me out of taking a break tracking?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Awww, I've considered it but I'm darn proud of my tracking streak. I am steamed that I lost my streak mid-summer when I lost wi-fi for a day or two in the hospital. You might "cheat" and enter one calorie count a day until you get back.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Breaking your streak will only lead to ruin in this life and eternal damnation in the next, keep it going. (Did I talk you out of it? :)
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I used to track every day religiously but now I only track during the week and don't bother on weekends anymore. I already know how to eat sensibly now so I don't really to be so persnickety about it anymore. In truth, tracking had become an ingrained habit with me and I noticed I would feel anxious whenever the day was drawing to a close and I hadn't logged my food yet - my streak would be ruined! OMG, it's 11:40PM! I need a computer or smart phone! Stat!

I decided this was silly so I forced myself not to track on the weekends. After a few weekends, the anxiety disappeared and now I'm even OK if I miss a day during the week. Tracking for me has changed to become more about reinforcing my eating habits and discovering how to fit new foods into my diet. I like it this way a lot better.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Some vacations make it impossible to log. Enjoy your time off. Get in some movement where you can. Don't go crazy with the food, but enjoy those things you wouldn't be able to find where you're from. Sometimes you just got to live and enjoy!

• jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're more concerned about breaking your streak since you know what to do diet-wise. I get that and that's a HARD decision. I think you'll have to do whatever you're most comfortable with mentally/psychologically or whatever. Congrats on your progress and enjoy your vacation! :smile:
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy your vacation! I know, not talking you out of it, but you should live a little and celebrate all the hard work you've done by not worrying about!(:
  • johnthomasmoore
    johnthomasmoore Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm back on the grid. Had a wonderful vacation. Eating was a bit challenging. Airport choices were limited. In Yucatan, avoided fruits and veggies I couldn't peel. Ate in some restaurants and had little idea what I was eating. Suspect I ate less fiber and more simple carbs. Probably slightly more calories. Weight trend, accounting for variation, slightly up but scale says fat mass down. Did lots of walking, out looking for birds. Saw 106 species, including 43 life birds. Had a wonderful time. The sky didn't fall when I took my break from tracking diet, weight, sleep. Did track my steps. Now that I'm home, increasing resistance/body weight exercise.
    3m.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I did a two week diet break a few months back, it was awesome and I will definitely do it again.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a break right now because I wrecked my bicycle on Friday and injured myself. (People need to quit letting their dogs run loss in the streets.) I haven't been doing much snacking, so I'm probably doing okay, but it is just easier for me not to track right now.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    I used to track every day religiously but now I only track during the week and don't bother on weekends anymore. I already know how to eat sensibly now so I don't really to be so persnickety about it anymore. In truth, tracking had become an ingrained habit with me and I noticed I would feel anxious whenever the day was drawing to a close and I hadn't logged my food yet - my streak would be ruined! OMG, it's 11:40PM! I need a computer or smart phone! Stat!

I decided this was silly so I forced myself not to track on the weekends. After a few weekends, the anxiety disappeared and now I'm even OK if I miss a day during the week. Tracking for me has changed to become more about reinforcing my eating habits and discovering how to fit new foods into my diet. I like it this way a lot better.

Samsies!!! My phone went kaputs on me right after New Years and I couldn't log for a day or 2 while waiting for my new one to arrive. I lost my 100 day streak and realized that I knew how to eat healthy and didn't always need the crutch. So I only log during the week days now and just make sensible choices on the weekends. I've been at this long enough to know how to make good food decisions.

• Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Samsies!!! My phone went kaputs on me right after New Years and I couldn't log for a day or 2 while waiting for my new one to arrive. I lost my 100 day streak and realized that I knew how to eat healthy and didn't always need the crutch. So I only log during the week days now and just make sensible choices on the weekends. I've been at this long enough to know how to make good food decisions.

Same as well. The anxiety was too much for me, I felt the need to get on the website, so I think this planned break from logging food will help. I've had 90 day streaks once or twice, but due to being out later than planned, I lost it. They don't give gold medals those streaks, do they? :smile:

So today I just came on to log my exercise, and will continue my weight log ins, but I've basically been training for this for 7 months now with the food, and I know way more now than I knew before!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a great vacation!