How do you do it all?

I’m struggling badly. When I first started MFP I was single. I lived in a tiny apartment with two friends and paid hardly any rent. I hardly had a life so I worked a lot during the week and then just spent the weekends living it up. During this time is when I lost the majority of my weight. It was easy. I just counted calories and would take all my breaks at once and work out since I worked at home.

Now things are different. I’ve been in a relationship for almost two years with an amazing man. Before anyone says anything I want to say he is so overly supportive and I couldn’t ask for much more. Not only is he the best cheerleader I could have, but he has also lost over 20 lbs. since Jan. But now – I have another thing to concentrate on in life. Add on the fact that we bought a house and I moved 2 hours away from my home town. Add on a mortgage and the loss of my face to face support system. Add in a puppy. Add in having to work 60 hour weeks to pay bills. (Thankfully everyone tells us that the first year of being a new home owner is the hardest – I hope it’s true)

So how do you do it all? How can I work 12 hours in one day, plus make sure to clean my part of the house, plus make food, plus make sure the boyfriend is getting what he needs in a relationship, plus take care of the puppy, plus work out however long, AND get some sleep, and some time to just unwind? I’m finding that there’s ALWAYS something, or two things, that get pushed off. The house is a mess and there’s no dinner. Or I ate well but there was no work out.

It all became so much that finally the last few weeks I just said, “F it” to everything. Yeah I know, completely stupid. This is a life change, not a diet. I can’t simply just give up because then nothing happens and I don’t become healthier and a better person. If I give up then the boyfriend gives up and I’m being a working force against him. I need to stop making excuses – and I’m not here for you to say, “Oh it’s hard” or “Just keep going” I’m seriously here asking YOU, yeah you who is just as busy as me, maybe busier, how YOU do it. Looking for some motivation, some inspiration, and a few tips to help me get to the point where I don’t say, “F it” again.

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    I made the exercise part of my work day. If I went home without doing it, it didn't get done. I was an Elementary School Principal and after the school kids went home, I went for a walk with a friend from the school. After the walk, I went back to work and finished up. Then I went home and took care of the rest of my life.

You might want to look at your lunch period or breaks to fit in some exercise if you can't at the end of the day or near the end of the day.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    You are facing so many challenges but I'm just going to throw out a suggestion that might help in one area.
    May I recommend a "full pack walk." Nothing your puppy would like better. A chance for you and your boyfriend to
    share your day and a nice bit of exercise for all of you. :happy:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Continue to count calories.....no matter what. Pack all your meals plus snacks for the day so that you aren't as tempted to make bad choices while away from home.

Do you get breaks at work? Do you have an office or a cubicle? Park nearby? Sidewalk? Walking trails? Gym? Stairs?

Even if you get 20 minutes of exercise in at a time, it's still better than nothing. You may just have to think outside the box though.....if it's important you will find a way; if it's not you'll find an excuse.

You CAN do this :smile:
  • One day make a weeks worth of food and freeze it for quick meals-bags of crock pot blends or casseroles. Cleaning-pick one room a day and clean it top to bottom OR one chore and do the entire house one day and another the next day.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    make time for just you and your goals. set aside 1 hour a day that belongs only 2 you. once everyone is aware of how much you respect yourself then they will be forced to do the same thing. and most important STICK TO YOUR GUNS!! DO NOT BREAK!!!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Good advice above. And once you get all this under control, have a kid so you can look back upon these days with fondness!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    I work at home - which helps me be lazier. I used to take all my breaks at once and work out during that time. Lately with the long shifts I've been taking them towards the end of my shift and just laying down because I'm tired. I'm thinking that I just need to get back into taking them during the day and just suck it up and go for a walk.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    Good advice above. And once you get all this under control, have a kid so you can look back upon these days with fondness!

BAHAHA! This is why I made sure to put " or people who are busier" because I have NO idea how I would do this right now if I also had a kid in the mixture. I seriously look up to all the mama's out there doing this.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Marry rich.

2q3ywdu.jpg
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    I work at home - which helps me be lazier. I used to take all my breaks at once and work out during that time. Lately with the long shifts I've been taking them towards the end of my shift and just laying down because I'm tired. I'm thinking that I just need to get back into taking them during the day and just suck it up and go for a walk.

The activity could quite possibly help the fatigue.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Cleaning and yard work, done with energy, do count as exercise in my book. Cook on the weekends with your BF, and it becomes together time AND fills the freezer with easy-to-serve meals. Take the stairs at work, if that's possible. Since your time is so limited, make it count double when you can.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Grab the puppy and the boyfriend and TAKE WALKS. Or runs.

Count the cleaning and gardening calories. That's exercise.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    I am extremely OCD. I have a routine. if i dont stick to my routine I feel as if I cannot function.

I am also not only doing this for myself this time. I was asked to be in a wedding in March. I am going to be the MOH for my best friend. I don't want to look like crap in her wedding photos so I remind myself everyday that not only is my health on the line but she is counting on me as well. She is very important to me.. next to my husband and kids, one of the most important people in my life. I would do anything for her.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    I am extremely OCD. I have a routine. if i dont stick to my routine I feel as if I cannot function.

I am also not only doing this for myself this time. I was asked to be in a wedding in March. I am going to be the MOH for my best friend. I don't want to look like crap in her wedding photos so I remind myself everyday that not only is my health on the line but she is counting on me as well. She is very important to me.. next to my husband and kids, one of the most important people in my life. I would do anything for her.

I feel you on this. Now that I have the bf in my life I feel even crappier when I fall off the wagon. Because I don't do this just for me. I do it for him even though not once has he ever said anything along the lines of me having to do it. I do it because when I finally get married I wanna look like somethng other than the fat slob I see in my self. And I have all these events happening over the next year that I want to look good for so I can have this sense of pride.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member

I feel you on this. Now that I have the bf in my life I feel even crappier when I fall off the wagon. Because I don't do this just for me. I do it for him even though not once has he ever said anything along the lines of me having to do it. I do it because when I finally get married I wanna look like somethng other than the fat slob I see in my self. And I have all these events happening over the next year that I want to look good for so I can have this sense of pride.

Im starting to get really excited now too... I am just about at my halfway point and I have an appt to go back and finalize my dress choice next weekend! The last time I was there I was about 20 lbs heavier and I felt like such a cow trying on dresses that wouldn't zip or only zipped halfway. I felt so limited in my choices and now I feel like I can look at some other styles because I am so much thinner.