never eat my 1200 points but always over sodium protien can someone help me with that

Options
hi, I am just starting with this, and love it breaks everything down, have done weight watchers for years and I never knew if I was eating properly or not. I cook all my own food, don't use can or package food, eat huge amount of fresh fruits and veggies. my problem is I have gone over my sodium every day and most time my protein. (not including extra they give for exercise) but don't eat all my calories every day. what can I eat to add calories not add sugar and sodium and protein?? i am never hungry and don't see how i can eat anymore. any help would be wonderful.

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies. How much are you going over your sodium by ? If you aren't sure about Sodium what is the offical Recommended Daily Amount for salt ? If you are going over protein a little, I really wouldn't worry. Your body will take what it needs from the protein that you eat and discard the rest.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your diary is closed. If you don't eat processed food (or eat out a lot) - it's highly unlikely that you are going way over on sodium - unless you are adding lots of salt to your veggies and meat.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It looks like the Sodium RDA is around 2300 mg per day.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Going over the lame amount of Protein MFP sets are you target is a VERY GOOD thing. :)
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My dietician said to not pay too much attention to the sodium count on homecooked things. I don't use any salt in cooking or at the table, yet MFP says everything has a ton of sodium. She said that's because whoever put the recipe in was using salt and counted it as part of the recipe. So, if you aren't using salt, the counts won't be accurate. I wouldn't worry about the protein. You need it so you won't lose lean muscle mass as you lose weight.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    My dietician said to not pay too much attention to the sodium count on homecooked things. I don't use any salt in cooking or at the table, yet MFP says everything has a ton of sodium. She said that's because whoever put the recipe in was using salt and counted it as part of the recipe. So, if you aren't using salt, the counts won't be accurate. I wouldn't worry about the protein. You need it so you won't lose lean muscle mass as you lose weight.

you should be creating your own recipe instead of using whats in the MFP database
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PS, For extra calories, a glass of skim milk does the trick. So does using oil in cooking/logging the oil you use when you cook.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    I have been consistently under on my sodium. When I input my foods I put all the ingredients separately, e.g., olive oil for sauteeing, onion, meat, beans, whatever, rather than taking a full meal off the list like "homemade chili." Nijitaliana is probably right, if you aren't cooking with salt and not eating processed foods, I wouldn't worry about the salt. More protein, fewer carbs is probably a good thing. I only worry if I go over on carbs or on fat. In order to add more calories and eating healthy, try things like avocadoes or nuts.
  • Mauigirl62
    Options
    If I do put salt on anything I count it as a separate entry.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP default goals, then don't be afraid to go over on protein. Protein is good for you. It helps to keep you full and protects your muscles while you're losing weight. Try to get into the red every day (assuming you don't have a medical reason to keep your protein low, of course).

Sugar and sodium, meh. I don't really track either of them. If you want to keep them low then you can, but going into the red on either won't hurt your weight loss (again, barring any medical issues).

As for what to eat without protein, your choices would be more carbs or more fat. I usually aim for more fat myself (it's more filling for me) but it's really your choice.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP default goals, then don't be afraid to go over on protein. Protein is good for you. It helps to keep you full and protects your muscles while you're losing weight. Try to get into the red every day (assuming you don't have a medical reason to keep your protein low, of course).

Sugar and sodium, meh. I don't really track either of them. If you want to keep them low then you can, but going into the red on either won't hurt your weight loss (again, barring any medical issues).

As for what to eat without protein, your choices would be more carbs or more fat. I usually aim for more fat myself (it's more filling for me) but it's really your choice.

I don't track sugar or sodium either...I switched those out for fiber and calcium, both of which I'd like to eat more of.

You really don't need to worry about going over on protein unless you have kidney disease or gout. So, enjoy!
  • susanforrester5209
    Options
    omg! so many reply's so quickly, thank you all, I did not realize I could switch out fiber and calcium and those are real important to me. I will have to check how to do this, I do love this program though! I guess I will try more carb and fat. I am actually trying to wean myself off fake sugar and butter and every other thing like that, I think all this no fat low fat is making me fat in my mid life
  • troutrouter
    Options
    If you have a heart condition or hypertension, the RDA is 1500mg.
  • absurdic
    absurdic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wait, you're eating less than 1200 kcal?! :disappointed_relieved: