What is THE best, #1 core move?

Options
If I were to only do ONE core move for the rest of my life, which should I do? Go.

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Squats, preferably with weights
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Squats, preferably with weights

You mean like this?

4617c8deffc540b4a127f019cecf59e7d166.jpg

Got it covered. But lets say I want to add an additional, core specific exercise. I'm looking for opinions on the best one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Overhead Squat...

The overhead squat makes your core work overtime because the weight is over your head, making your center of gravity much higher. Also, because your torso is elongated, the tension in your deep inner-core muscles will be very intense.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Planks.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    PLANKS
  • ItIsTJ
    ItIsTJ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ugh...this depends on level of strength. Flag poles, front levers, dragon flags and planching will rape squats or any other core movement that there is...but you need to be at elite level strength.

Torture twists are pretty much top of the beginner and intermediate food chain. 180 degrees of core conditioning and it's been used by the "savant" of strength training.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Side plank with hip extension. If you only had to choose one this one is great for ab, obliques, and hip flexors.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have had to go to Zercher Squats because working out at home without a squat rack I was not able to progress past a certain point with back squats. This works more core muscles than the traditional back squats do.
  • notelling123
    notelling123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Vigorous and frequent sexual activity. I suppose this depends on how you define "#1".
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If I were to only do ONE core move for the rest of my life, which should I do? Go.

It depends. What is your overall goal? And what results are you trying to get from core-specific exercises? Go.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

It depends. What is your overall goal? And what results are you trying to get from core-specific exercises? Go.

I dunno. I'm getting more into training for mountain bike racing. I figured I should add in a core specific move since core strength is important for biking. I've been doing compound (squats, deads, bench, etc) lifting for a good 3 years.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I dunno. I'm getting more into training for mountain bike racing. I figured I should add in a core specific move since core strength is important for biking. I've been doing compound (squats, deads, bench, etc) lifting for a good 3 years.

On one of my workout days I'm doing reverse lunges, pushups and dumbbell rows. I really feel my core after that workout. I also really feel the core after chin ups.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    Yeah, I can definitely feel it in my abs after chin-ups and OHP. I was just looking for something a little extra. Right now I'm leaning toward RKB Planks.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-training/top-3-core-training-exercises-for-xc-trail-riders/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

serious about the OH squat. You don't need a lot of weight or anything...it will do a number on your core and improve general mobility. It's not something you really want to do a lot of weight with or try to build muscle or strength with...it's totally a mobility and core training movement.

For a real kick in the pants do it with one arm for reps on each side with a kettle bell...the off balance of doing only one side is a kick in the nuts.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    burpees
  • hadiachatila89
    hadiachatila89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Planks
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Suspension trainer planks are pretty tough.

TRX Plank Progression Exercises
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the format of the question is silly. there's tons of great things you can do for you core despite the SQUATS OR DEADLIFTS OR GTFO mantra of the MFP forums. but asking for The One Move For Ever and Ever makes the question impossible to answer. your core does several vital things (rotating, bending, extending, resisting bending and rotation, flexing) so thinking of it in terms of "okay, i'll do something for my core but just this one thing" is counterproductive.

if you're going to do it, then do it, and to hell with what the forums think.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    i'd pick pushups
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree with DavPul but if I absolutely had to answer I would agree with cwolfman13. I think the dumbbell pullover is one of the most underrated lifts there is and could be a close second. Its also one of the few lifts where I think the machine is superior to the free weight version.

The "core" includes a lot of muscles and each has its own range of motion and function.

I think people confuse core with abs a lot of times. IMO the core is pretty much everything below your pecks all the way to your pelvic floor. Front and back. The lats alone are one of the largest and strongest core muscles. They dont get a lot of work from planks.