Any experience with Vessyl - cup that detects nutritional info of anything?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My opinion of it as a calorie counting tool is entirely based on whether or not it works.

Well then, let's assume it does work.
    I think that would be a dangerous assumption.

I'd also say that if it's seriously sub $500, it is probably far too cheap for it to actually work.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Shalaurise wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It doesn't work. Yes, I've seen the "reviews".

It doesn't work.

I haven't found this anywhere over hours of reading. Could you link please? I think it's worth it for me but definitely not if it doesn't work, lol.

I think it is more like... you can pay people to review your product positively... especially one that is not openly available to the general public for reviews from sources that were not specifically recruited to promote your product. Thus, they can say tons of wonderful things and edit tons of videos to make it look great, but that doesn't make it true.

I want to think it is possible, but I also don't want to resemble a crazy Apple fan.

funny-apple-launch-presentation-fans.jpg

It's not made by Apple. And I don't see why they'd base their whole product on being able to do 1 thing, and then it is not able to do that 1 thing. I guess we'll find out. I don't really see why there's any reason to doubt what it does, seeing as its accuracy can be verified pretty much instantly, by anyone who uses one.

Again, my question is not whether or not it works, but what ya'll think about it as a calorie counting tool.

They said they didn't want to resemble an Apple fan, not that it was made by Apple.

Also, I think nothing beats doing it yourself. Paying $99 or $199 for a cup/appliance that takes up counter space is too much for me. I would rather continue measuring myself, because my $20 food scale gets the job done.

Plus, I don't know if I would trust a cup to pick up on EVERYTHING I put into it.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat!? Shut the front door! That's awesome sauce. I didn't read the whole article to find out whether it's dishwasher friendly, though. :smiley:
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Whaaaat!? Shut the front door! That's awesome sauce. I didn't read the whole article to find out whether it's dishwasher friendly, though. :smiley:

Yes, it is. Most Apple products are.

8aqxavxw26bs.png

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds too good to be true, but if it were, that'd be really neat. It would certainly make accounting for smoothies and such (cocktails) a lot easier.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of my missed calorie accounting comes from beverages (cocktails), so it would be a great way to hold me more to my goals and such. I'm cool with weighing everything (just got a food scale recently) and adding it that way, but if there was a magic cup that measured everything poured into it, it'd be really, really neat (and helpful).

I definitely am very skeptical of this device for a number of reasons. Firstly, the guy won't talk about how the sensor works at all, which is typical for scammers. Secondly, where is the cup getting its data? Is it Wi-Fi enabled, as well? I mean, it can't have every beverage or food programmed into it. I guess it could be able to connect to Wi-Fi, so many other things do nowadays, it just seems kind of inconvenient—you would require a connection whenever you wanted to have a beverage. Alternatively it could perhaps send a signal to your phone via the Bluetooth they say it already does have which gives your phone a command to pull the information from some online source but ... it just seems needlessly convoluted, in a way.

Still, if this were a thing, I think I would probably buy it. I usually drink water but when I'm not I would like to know what's in my cup, how many calories, and track it more accurately.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That sounds really interesting, but I rarely drink anything other than water or black coffee, so not much use for me. Now if THIS thing becomes a reality, I'm willing to pay thousands for it:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ge-calorie-counter-microwave-2014-7
  • mokano7
    mokano7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    [Note: This is long, but informative. Please read everything before flipping a table. Also, I am not editing this because I am a lazy, sodding git and I already have 2.000 pages worth of material to edit.]

Okay, to be perfectly clear, I am not taking one side or the other on this debate. I simply want to present an argument that perhaps has not yet been considered.

Firstly, let's talk about technology, patents, and planned obsolescence. The Tech field demands that clever ideas and the secrets behind new, consumer technologies be closely guarded. I can imagine that they aren't telling you how the sensor works because they don't want other people copycatting them and ruining their business. Then they would have a problem with a long, ugly court battle with a patent law suit. The next thing is, tech companies have technologies you couldn't even imagine locked away, but they don't release it for years after they develop it because they want to keep consumers buying the latest and greatest thing, day after day, year after year. The iPhone you have now (since we're joking about Apple fanboys) is 10 years, at least, behind Apple's current research and development technology. For a startup company, they likely have a few features they're holding back, but the sensor right now is the biggest thing they have. So telling everyone how it works is bad for business.

Secondly, even if the above isn't true, business deals made with investors might preclude said company from revealing anything more than what the product does. They might be legally bound to withhold how it works. At that point, you're just going to have to find an engineer to take it apart and tell the world how it works and hope to God he doesn't get his butt sued off.

Thirdly, even if the above are not true, the actual workings of a chemical analysis sensor are not something anyone actually trying to sell a product is going to put in a video. That's because people go to college for 8 years to learn biomedical computing (combo of biology, chemistry, life sciences, and computer sciences) to learn how a chemical analysis sensor works. If you want to know how the vessyl works, submit an application to MIT. What I can tell you is that chemical analysis sensors take a sample of the fluid and analyse its chemical composition. If it's an FDA grade sensor, either their supplier is the same as the FDA's or they used the same science to create their own. Regardless, you don't need to know how it works, just that it works. And if it is the FDA's sensor, you'll know how it works when the government admits to its deepest, darkest secrets (i.e. never).

Fourthly, on any product development team there are people called engineers. Engineers are people whose entire job is to solve pesky little problems like, oh golly jeez, I put two bananas into my smoothie instead of one! Gosh darn! Now my vessyl won't read properly! The guy in the video is an engineer who likely has multiple degrees in his field. I'm fairly certain if, using the scientific method, which I'm certain he did, there were errors by such vast margins as you claim, they would fix them before releasing a finished product.

Fifthly, fraud will destroy you. No one wants to be convicted of fraud because then you are financially screwed. Can't get a loan, no one will invest in you, badabing, badaboom you went from being rich, to sued out of everything you own, and now you're a filthy bum on the streets pinching your pennies to get your next high. If this is a fraud, and somebody sues the crap out of them, pay attention to the news, you might just get your money back.

Now on to my arguments as to why this is probably a bad idea to buy.

Firstly, there are no consumer reports on the product to give a baseline read as to its functionality. Reviews are only as useful as the intelligence of the reviewer (in other words, pick your review sites well and look for the posts that use proper grammar, spelling, etc. And I haven't been able to find any actual documented tests on the reliability of the Vessyl. Therefore, I'm not entirely convinced by it. It could be a load of crap.

Secondly, there is no verifiable information on their webpage, no outside links to studies or tests, nothing I can see besides marketing. The FAQ is useful, but doesn't answer a lot of questions. You can't even read short biographies on the team, and there is no further information outside of names and positions. Not a big shining star for reputability in my opinion.

Thirdly, like any new publishing house or agency, there is always a black hole of information about the product and the company. They don't have a long history and there's not much to be learned about their product or the business as a whole. In other words, they are given a lot of skepticism not from a bad reputation, but rather the lack of a reputation. And that's a good thing. Don't just blindly accept anything at face value.

My closing statement is thus. Being that this is still a prototype, there is still a lot of room to improve. But being that this is a prototype, you can always wait until they have a finished product and wait until there is more reliable information before buying it.

Final Judgement: Trust but verify. Wait on buying this product until all the Apple fanboys buy a million of them. When reliable, documented tests and studies have been done on the product, review the information, and decide then.

And now to answer the original question. In order for a product to be useful, it has to perform the function it was intended to do. In this case, that is provide an accurate read of the calories and nutrients consumed in any beverage contained within. In this case, useful is synonymous with "work". Thus the question right now is, does the product work? My answer is, I don't know. Whether it works or not is a black hole and until I buy one and verify, I can never know completely for certain. That's why I say, wait for more reputable information on it to surface.

Thank you for bearing with me on my long monologue. I hope this has been informative and helpful.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem very useful if you can only use it for liquids (unless you tend to drink calorific drinks, I suppose).
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    They said they didn't want to resemble an Apple fan, not that it was made by Apple.
    I am so glad someone picked up on that.

Vailara wrote: »
    It doesn't seem very useful if you can only use it for liquids (unless you tend to drink calorific drinks, I suppose).
    Right! $100 to measure my diet coke. Totally worth it... wait a minute.

halobender wrote: »
    It definitely sounds too good to be true, but if it were, that'd be really neat. It would certainly make accounting for smoothies and such (cocktails) a lot easier.
    I am with the sounds too good to be true part there for sure... my next question would be, if it wasn't to good and it was true, do you really want to be seen drinking cocktails from it? :P

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't really care what I'm seen drinking my beverages from. It used to be a ball mason jar until my girl broke it. Maybe I could finally convince people more capably that I'm actually from the future.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    oh boy, give me something that measures solid foods and I'd be all over that.

YES
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    oh boy, give me something that measures solid foods and I'd be all over that.

YES

Already in the works! http://www.businessinsider.com/ge-calorie-counter-microwave-2014-7
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I think it's cool, if I made $1,000,000 a year, I might have one. But I don't, so my priorities are still on traveling, which I do, which is cool.