Not ready to use the gym

2»

Replies

• minimum13
    minimum13 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi. I don’t feel comfortable in the gym, but having realised that exercise is necessary to loose weight (I have about 5 stone to loose) I have spent a few months trying out all of the different options (spinning, zumba, aquafit, jogging, dvds at home, cross trainer at home… ) – and I honestly think this is the way forward. The hardest part is motivating yourself, so you need to find an exercise option that you can actually enjoy….

For starters, as a size 20 lady I have found that clothes designed for yoga are much better than those designed for the gym – yoga tops tend to be longer length and looser fitting so that helps me feel less self-conscience
    Recently in my quest to try everything – I’ve started going to a bootcamp in the local park. Everyone else is slimmer and fitter than me, its true, but because we all work at our own pace I don’t feel that I stand out as much as I do in the gym. Also, at the end of the session I had a quick chat with the trainer and he’s set me some exercises to do at home – just 10 minutes per day to start with, simple things I can do in my PJ’s but 2 weeks in and I’m already noticing the difference. Its incredibly hard turning up on week one on your own (I get there early so that I don’t have to walk into a full room), but I’m hopeful it will get easier.

I have found that most places (especially independents) will give you a free trial to see if its for you, if you ask in advance.

Motivating yourself is the hardest part, so my advice would be don’t spend a lot of money on fitness equipment for use at home until you’ve tried out that type of workout (ie treadmill, cross trainer etc) and know its for you. The freebie option of course, is just walking – invest in a good pedometer (I got a fitbit for Christmas which I love because it syncs with MFP) and aim for 10,000 steps a day – which for me is made up parking the car a bit further away and some nights just running up the stairs a few times… I’m not up to 10,000 yet but it’s a reasonable target.

Whatever you do you have to enjoy it and feel comfortable – my advice is just try out as many things as you can find, until you get the one that’s right for you. You could maybe take a friend along – not necessarily to become a workout buddy but just to give you confidence to try things out, for that first time.
  • GuitarGirl99
    GuitarGirl99 Posts: 23 Member
    Going to the gym for the first time can bring about a lot of anxiety. It takes time to get past that. The free trial is a great idea. Make sure whatever place you join will be easy enough to get out of if it happens that you end up hating it. The trainers at some places can be very hard-core with their sales tactics. If you are not interested in a trainer, make that clear. I just needed to use the equipment, and can't afford a trainer. It took a few times to assert this, but they leave me alone now.

My personal experience, for what it is worth: I have a membership and was away from my gym for a while and was surprised to discover that I went through the anxiety all over again when I re-motivated myself to go back there to start seriously working on strength training. Just the thought of going there and lifting in front of people made me sweatier than any workout I was planning.

So, I bought a cheap, used set of old-school adjustable dumbbells from a friend, bought a used bar to go with it and started lifting in my basement to get the feel for it. When I reached the limits of the equipment at home, I had to go to the gym if I wanted to keep progressing.

It took me six months to get to that point.

I use planned workouts from a book, and I keep a training log. I bring my training log with me and fill it in with my progress as I go through my workout. It keeps my attention focused on my own work and goals. When you start surpassing yourself from workout to workout, that creates some excitement in yourself that makes your forget about what anyone else thinks. And, slowly but surely, the "gym anxiety" you feel leading up to a workout will turn to a different kind of "can't wait to get there" anticipation that makes you really look forward to it. It takes time. It is all part of the training process. Every workout is a practice, for your body & mind.

Best of luck to you.....
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Hi, OP! I believe you should sign up at a gym, get a trainer to help you with some things if you don't feel confident that you're doing them right, and just DO IT! Anybody who has time to watch you at the gym needs to sort their own life out. It's got nothing to do with you. People watching is for the mall ;)

If you really can't find the courage to hit the gym yet, there are a few DVDs I did when I getting into working out a few years ago, and I really enjoyed them. Great workout & really good for beginners in my opinion:

Turbo Jam (cardio kickboxing - awesome music)
    Turbo Fire (HIIT - awesome music)
    Pauline Nordin Butt Bible
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Good luck with your journey! I'm excited for you to begin!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Gym isnt' for fit people.

Gym is for people who want to work out.
    it's not a special club for the only super fit.

You can do it- do some research on barbell based programs- starting strength- strong lifts- new rules of lifting for women- strong curves- research - and then you'll have an idea of what your'e doing.

half the problem walking into the gym is that people don't know what to do- and when you don't know what to do- you feel uncomfortable and self conscious- like the first time visiting the doctor- getting your oil changed- or even filling your own car up with gas- when you first got your liscence. But once you KNOW how it's done... and you do it regularly- it's no big deal.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Many gyms have staff who can give you an introduction to the gym and give suggestions of what you should focus on based on your goals. There are also lots of books and websites. JoRocka mentions some of the most highly-regarded ones. I go to my gym 3-4 times a week, doing strength training, cardio machines, and classes. We are all there getting fit. You start where you are. Believe me, there is very little chance that anyone is noticing you in a negative way. If you decide to work out on your own for now, you can start with Leslie Sansone videos, or if you like dancing, I highly recommend Hip Hop Abs. It's almost all low impact, and there are modified moves if you need them at first. It's a lot of fun, and effective. Look for some videos of bodyweight exercises you can do at home; planks, squats, wall sits, lunges, etc. Whether you work out at home or at the gym, it won't take you too long to feel more confident. :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Meliissami wrote: »
    hey I'm not ready to start using the gym yet because I don't feel comfortable with the way I look at the moment but I want to start working out more what would be the best thing to do

Best thing to do? Go to the gym.
    Second best? Join a boot camp in a park.
    Third best? Cook something up DIY.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Food for thought.
    People may notice you. And they will likely have a lot of respect for you.
    I notice many people in my gym. I like to people watch. And except for that brunette who keeps moving the fan (seriously lady, cut the crap), and that teen who consumes a weight station to do nothing more than play on her phone 20 minutes at a time, I have a great deal of respect for everyone there. When I look at the severely obese, I am amazed and impressed that they have found the courage for change. For the woman with the dark circles, I am amazed and impressed that she probably had a sleepless night with kids and dishes and work and she's still there. For the guy running 5 miles next to me at sprint pace, I am amazed and impressed with his focus. For the lifter in the back with the amazing curves, I am amazed and impressed with the obvious time, dedication and work they have put in to earn the body they have.
    So consider this. A lot of people won't even notice you. But those who do may very well have awesome thoughts.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Join the gym. Go to the gym. If you're a little flabby, good. Nobody's going to wonder why you're there if you not ultra fit. People don't generally join a gym to sit on a couch and eat nachos. They join to get or stay fit.

Also, don't be afraid to ask the gym bro musclehead who's curling in the squat rack or the girl with the "the booty that can walk on its own" questions. Most of the folks that have evidence of gym attendance are more than willing to talk about how they got there.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Gym isnt' for fit people.

Gym is for people who want to work out.
    it's not a special club for the only super fit.

You can do it- do some research on barbell based programs- starting strength- strong lifts- new rules of lifting for women- strong curves- research - and then you'll have an idea of what your'e doing.

half the problem walking into the gym is that people don't know what to do- and when you don't know what to do- you feel uncomfortable and self conscious- like the first time visiting the doctor- getting your oil changed- or even filling your own car up with gas- when you first got your liscence. But once you KNOW how it's done... and you do it regularly- it's no big deal.

All of this!

Also realize that no one is looking at you. No one is looking at you. Again, NO ONE IS LOOKING AT YOU.

People are too focused on doing their own thing, the only time they will give you a thought is if you're using equipment that they want.

So join the gym or the group classes and rock it. Get yourself some good music and kill it. And then come back and tell us how awesome you are.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    hey I'm not ready to start using the gym yet because I don't feel comfortable with the way I look at the moment but I want to start working out more what would be the best thing to do

I never darken the doors of a gym.

I run, cycle and do bodyweight resistance training and that serves my purposes. You don't need to join a gym to have success.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member

I never darken the doors of a gym.

I run, cycle and do bodyweight resistance training and that serves my purposes. You don't need to join a gym to have success.

This is also very true.

I started out doing home workout dvds. I did T25, Insanity, P90X3, and now Insanity Max 30. I have a TRX so I use that to help make bodyweight moves harder. I just started going to group classes in December (I started with spin, then pole fitness, and now I've started going to yoga as well). It all depends on your personality, and schedule.

I workout first thing in the morning, so I definitely use a video b/c there's no way I'm trying to make it to any facility at 6:30am. Now in the evenings, I make sure to get in 1 spin class, and 1 yoga class, and I try to get in 3 pole workouts throughout the week.

Find what you like and do it.

Do you like to dance? Try Zumba or Pole Fitness or a Barre workout.
    Do you like to bike? Try a spin class.

Also, never discount how awesome walking is.

But whatever you do, try to get a good balance of cardio and strength training to begin with. Once you find your calling you'll be able to tweak your personal program to either be more cardio based with some strength training, or more strength training with some cardio.

Good luck!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Thank you everyone I guess I'm just use to people judging me on how I look it's hard that people won't being judging me for using a gym and I've tried work out DVDs and I didn't really get on with them I didn't really think about getting a treadmill or exercise bike I think I will look into getting one of those x
    I do understand, but the others here are right... don't let that stop you.

Some people like to say, "Oh, those gym people are going to be judging you and sneering at you." Nonsense. Your typical gym is filled with a lot of everyday folks who simply want to get better. They'll typically have a good number of out-of-shape people as well. I was very much out of shape when I first joined, and I didn't care.

Even many of the so-called "meatheads" used to be out of shape. By and large, I've found them to be pretty good folks, supportive of anyone who's willing to work hard.

If you're a slacker -- the kind who likes to sit on a piece of equipment for minutes at a time -- then people might get annoyed. Just put in a decent effort though, and people are unlikely to think negatively of you.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    aakaakaak wrote: »
    Also, don't be afraid to ask the gym bro musclehead who's curling in the squat rack or the girl with the "the booty that can walk on its own" questions. Most of the folks that have evidence of gym attendance are more than willing to talk about how they got there.

This. This. This.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    also- get used to saying
    - "so what"

it'll make your life way better.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Nike fitness club App----BEST THING EVER. Go to the store and buy a set of dumbells and a medicine ball or use a gallon of milk. It uses your music on your phone and has a video of every exercise. It guides you verbally---almost like a physical trainer at home. I love it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    also- get used to saying
    - "so what"

it'll make your life way better.

^^
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    emilyc525 wrote: »
    @Meliissami‌ ! I use youtube and search for 'home workouts'. They can seriously get your heart pumping and burn the calories. I really liked this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcN37TxBE_s&list=LLmN5lZc6cnOUkvvNepqryMA&index=5 - not too hard, but still gets your heart pumping. There are a TONNE of videos, you could do something new everyday for the next 10 years so you won't get bored :)

If you are willing to spend money and want to work out extra hard you can buy insanity - all home based hardcore workout.

I am "lucky" enough to live on the 6th floor so I will often just do stair sprints and then at the top of each lap I'll do active recovery with squats, sit ups, pushups (not really, I hate pushups) or anything else I can think of. I do this if I don't have time or don't feel like the gym or can't go outside.

Inbox me / friend me if you want to chat / motivate each other / get more ideas!

I lost over 90 pounds and have not worked out in a gym ONCE. Fitness Blender is part of my routine, as is outdoor running and weightlifting ...all at home.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Join the gym. No one is going to pay any attention to you, they're focused on what they are doing. You just take care of you. Go get it girl!