new and need help gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Cavenicula wrote: »
    Agree with Josh, keep in mind that with any mass gaining diet, some fat gains are expected.. that being said, you can minimize how much by doing a few things differently...

Carbs are your friends- but watch where you're getting them from.. whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, Brown rice and oats are great sources.
    You need to be consuming around 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats (almonds, avocado, healthy fats). Of your daily diet.. my fitness pal app does a good job of breaking it down for you.

Avoid eating high ammouts of carbs before bed, you need higher protein for your muscles to grow over night, but carbs tend to go to fat storages.. a whey protein shake will do well before bed, one scoop usually has around 20-25g of protein and very few carbs..

Remember to time your meals and watch your portions, it is really easy to over eat.. the nutritional facts on everything you buy is a great way to find out.. get to know them well and understand it.

that's my two cents.. I've been gaining weight and so far that's what's working for me.. I am also at the gym 6 days a week because there's no point to the diet if you're not exercising, it will just turn to fat!!

REMEMBER!! 1-2 LBS A WEEK TO GAIN IS HEALTHY.. once you start gaining more .. usually means you're gaining unwanted fat!

one book I highly recommend is "power eating" 4th edition by Susan kleiner..

OP ignore all this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP - are you looking to gain muscle or just gain some additional body fat for health reasons, or both?

Do you currently lift weights and if so, how long have you been doing so, and what type of program are you on?

Also, if you do not mind saying, how tall are you?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Team BeanBag Body reporting for duty sir!

20150110_152041_zpsiha1pvvw.jpg

I eat all those things while bulking...And even while cutting so... Um. I'm gonna have to go ahead and say eat all those things.

I will join that team any day of the week …oh wait, I guess i am the captain of that team according to the other poster….
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I eat all those things while bulking...And even while cutting so... Um. I'm gonna have to go ahead and say eat all those things.

I will join that team any day of the week …oh wait, I guess i am the captain of that team according to the other poster….
    We're going to start a club TeamBeanBagBody. We can sell overrated products for free. Because well- why not. :p
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Team Beanbag - I'm in :smiley:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    *does team beanbag pose* this may or may not have involved some flexing and sitting down to play some video games.
  • ndj1979
    Options

We're going to start a club TeamBeanBagBody. We can sell overrated products for free. Because well- why not. :p

lol I read as TeamBangBody….whoops…I guess we know where my mind is today…
    but yea I am in for TeamBeanBagBody or TeamBangBody …

• klundy0941
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf‌ I'm interested in mostly gaining weight for health reasons but I would like some definition to my body while gaining weight. I don't lift weights, I do a mixture of pilates and yoga. I'm 5'5 too by the way.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    *does team beanbag pose* this may or may not have involved some flexing and sitting down to play some video games.

Yes- games- marathon binges of netflix and pizza and beer.

Convert to the dark side of TeamBeanBagBody
  • JoRocka
    Options
    klundy0941 wrote: »
    @Sarauk2sf‌ I'm interested in mostly gaining weight for health reasons but I would like some definition to my body while gaining weight. I don't lift weights, I do a mixture of pilates and yoga. I'm 5'5 too by the way.

welp. you need to do some resistance training along with all your stretching.
  • ndj1979
    Options

i would highly recommend a lifting program like 5x5, strong lifts, etc….while you are gaining weight…

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, I agree, do a lifting program in addition to your yoga and Pilates. Also, make sure your goals are set to gain .5-1lb/wk. Log your exercise and eat back those calories as well. You can eat anything you want, but meeting your protein goal will be important for muscle repair.
    Some foods I like and would recommend: pizza(hey, basically all food groups in one slice), cheeseburger (again, all food groups), love frosted mini wheats with soymilk, banana or apple with greek yogurt or peanut butter, egg and avocado sandwiches, stir fry (any and all veggies+protein of you choice), rice, beans.
  • klundy0941
    Options
    Where can I find lifting programs to do/any suggestions of programs? I don't have weights at my house, but I do have access to a gym. After I reach my weight I can stop drinking the ensure drinks, but I will need to find other sources of protein/calories of i start working out again.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Stronglifts 5x5 online and started doing it. Regular food is a great source of protein and calories, I eat it all the time. Ok, that was a bit sarcastic, but you can eat real food--meat, dairy, eggs for protein; beans, legumes, grains, fruit and vegetables--all of it has calories. Just log it and tweak it until you get it right.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Where can I find lifting programs to do/any suggestions of programs? I don't have weights at my house, but I do have access to a gym. After I reach my weight I can stop drinking the ensure drinks, but I will need to find other sources of protein/calories of i start working out again.

Try Strong Curves by Bret Contraras. Eat 250 cals over maintenance per day. Try and gain half a pound a week. Good luck.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here's a summary of StrongLifts 5x5:

Strong Lifts 5x5 Summary

Body Building.com has some beginner workout programs that are free and great for starting out.

Body Building Fun Workout Programs
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Also consider
    body by you
    convict conditioning
    you are your own gym
    nerdfitness.com- best beginner body weight workout
  • klundy0941
    Options
    thank you everyone! I really appreciate your help.
  • mandadean
    Options
    Cavenicula wrote: »
    Agree with Josh, keep in mind that with any mass gaining diet, some fat gains are expected.. that being said, you can minimize how much by doing a few things differently...

Carbs are your friends- but watch where you're getting them from.. whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes, Brown rice and oats are great sources.
    You need to be consuming around 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fats (almonds, avocado, healthy fats). Of your daily diet.. my fitness pal app does a good job of breaking it down for you.

Avoid eating high ammouts of carbs before bed, you need higher protein for your muscles to grow over night, but carbs tend to go to fat storages.. a whey protein shake will do well before bed, one scoop usually has around 20-25g of protein and very few carbs..

Remember to time your meals and watch your portions, it is really easy to over eat.. the nutritional facts on everything you buy is a great way to find out.. get to know them well and understand it.

that's my two cents.. I've been gaining weight and so far that's what's working for me.. I am also at the gym 6 days a week because there's no point to the diet if you're not exercising, it will just turn to fat!!

REMEMBER!! 1-2 LBS A WEEK TO GAIN IS HEALTHY.. once you start gaining more .. usually means you're gaining unwanted fat!

one book I highly recommend is "power eating" 4th edition by Susan kleiner..

OP - ignore this bro science.

Unless you are high performance athlete meal timing and nutrient timer is not necessary.

if you want to gain weight you need to eat MORE food, period.

and yes, you need a heavy lifting program with progressive overload built into it.

Thank you! Total bro science. Check out www.startingstrength.com for a strength training program that involves progressive overload, designed for real average joes. Awesome resource... Based on real science.