Over-training question

So after a three pound increase in the last two days I began to look hard at what I have been putting my body through for the past week and a half and I think it falls into the overtraining category. Since about last Wed til this past one, I was eating around 1280-1350 calories and burning almost 1000 in exercise alone. I work in a preschool so my daily calorie burn gets pretty high on its own! Before all of this, I was following a workout plan but had a few consecutive bad eating days and wanted to make up for them and get back to the weight I was at before the poor eating and slacking on workouts. (I know, I know, bad idea!) Seeing the scale go up instead of down when you are eating low and working out hard really makes you take a step back and reassess your plan. So after some searching, I think I have been overtraining.

Now the main question is this- since it has only been about a week and a half (yesterday and today I upped my calories around 1650 btw) do I really need to take the whole recommended week or two off? Would a rest day suffice? Sunday is usually my rest day but I have been skipping it. If I do an early workout tomorrow, rest Sunday and then go back to working out Monday after work is that enough? A week might just kill me lol. Sorry for the long post and thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    What is your training program and how are you assessing your energy expenditure during training?

How long have you been training in this manner and what has your caloric intake been for the past month?
    What has your weight done in the past month, prior to this recent increase in weight?
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Wow that was fast! Ok, so the program I have been following is the body combat workout and everything was fine but I was stuck at the same weight despite seeing changes in my body for the better. I was able to go on that for awhile but I think it got to me and I had a few graduation parties, etc and my eating habits just fell off the wagon and I was snacking constantly. So I added a two mile run each day and strength training three times a week in addition to the cardio of the body combat. I have been doing this since last Wed (the 22nd). Before my mini binge issue I was eating around 1500-1700 calories and after I dropped it down to around 1280-1350 until yesterday when I bumped it back up to around 1650 ish.

I wear a fitbit one during the day which I know isn't totally accurate so I try to give a 200-300 calorie window there and I wear a hrm when I do my workouts.

I think that is all of it!
  • Echo17121
    Also, this past weekend I added some extra cardio and skipped my Sunday rest day to double up on workouts as well. I had the energy so I just kept going! :o\
  • SideSteel
    Wow that was fast! Ok, so the program I have been following is the body combat workout and everything was fine but I was stuck at the same weight despite seeing changes in my body for the better. I was able to go on that for awhile but I think it got to me and I had a few graduation parties, etc and my eating habits just fell off the wagon and I was snacking constantly. So I added a two mile run each day and strength training three times a week in addition to the cardio of the body combat. I have been doing this since last Wed (the 22nd). Before my mini binge issue I was eating around 1500-1700 calories and after I dropped it down to around 1280-1350 until yesterday when I bumped it back up to around 1650 ish.

I wear a fitbit one during the day which I know isn't totally accurate so I try to give a 200-300 calorie window there and I wear a hrm when I do my workouts.

I think that is all of it!

What was your weight doing when you ate in the 1500-1700 calorie range?
    What is your current height/weight/bodyfat% (if you know it).
  • Echo17121
    It was pretty much a plateau and I was stuck around 168. I am 5'9 and today the scale said 172 which is up four pounds since Tuesday maybe. I am looking to get to around 145, I was at 138 before but that was too hard to manage and I ended up sliding backwards hard so I think 145 would be ideal with muscle from strength training. I am not sure of my body fat though sorry.
  • SideSteel
    Can you please open your food diary (set it to public/open)?

Do you own a food scale and do you use it?

When did you begin your training program (body combat) and when did you add weight training? (Dates please, if you can).

I know I'm asking a ton of questions and I may not even provide you with a great answer but I'm trying to get context before making any conclusions.
  • Echo17121
    I will set it to public but I can't say I have been totally consistent with logging, if I had a bad day, I just skipped logging. I do own a food scale and use it to measure some foods but not all of them.

I started body combat April 8th, I added the weight training on the May 22nd along with the running. I have done weight training before but had taken a break from it.
  • Echo17121
    I just set it to public so hopefully it works.
  • SideSteel
    I will set it to public but I can't say I have been totally consistent with logging, if I had a bad day, I just skipped logging. I do own a food scale and use it to measure some foods but not all of them.

I started body combat April 8th, I added the weight training on the May 22nd along with the running. I have done weight training before but had taken a break from it.

The first thing I would recommend would be to read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

And I would urge you, very much so, to think about the points raised and ask yourself where they apply to you in your own dieting.

The next thing I would do would be to apply those things and keep your food intake to around 1500, but that's an accurately measured 1500 and not a "log some things, estimate some things, forget to log some things" 1500.

Then I would observe the results over the next two weeks and make adjustments to your intake based on those results. You can PM me if you decide to take this advice and I'll help you adjust after a couple of weeks.

As to your original questions:

1) I think your gain in weight is fluid weight caused from beginning a resistance training program.
    2) You probably don't need an extended break but you should allow yourself a rest day or two. You don't need to train your *kitten* off daily, rest is also good and beneficial.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    So, you do body combat everyday, like 7 days a week? Then you added a run(also everyday) and weights 3x? Just making sure I understand this correctly...
    Your week looks like this:
    Monday: body combat, run, weights
    Tuesday: body combat, run
    Wed: Body combat, run, weights
    Thurs: body combat, run
    Friday: body combat, run, weights
    Sat: body combat, run
    Sun: body combat, run
    Or something similar?
    How long is the body combat workout?
    I do up to 3 workouts somedays (up to 4 days total), but they are usually not longer than 30 min. each. The other 3 days usually have only 1 workout, but maybe it is a long run, so they can be up to an hour/hour and 15min. It was ok at the beginning, with my calories at around 1300-1350, I lost 25 pounds quick. But then I was having other issues: leg spasms, trouble sleeping, blood pressure issues. I had to cut back a bit on the working out, and increase protein and calories overall. Just one day of rest can do wonders. I don't see a reason to take an entire week off. I still lost on Spring Break, when I only worked out a few times and had a few days off.
  • Echo17121
    Thank you so much, I usually try to stay around 1500, I think my tdee is 1550. I was hoping the gains were from DOMS and the weight training and that I didn't do too much damage in this short period of time. I will make sure to take my rest day this weekend and scale down on the extra cardio. I am at the end of the combat schedule next Friday so I will try and just stick with that and the weight training. I think I will plan a better hybrid of the two when I move on to the next step. I try and keep my protein high with lean foods but do you think I could use more healthy fats in my diet as well?
  • SideSteel
    Thank you so much, I usually try to stay around 1500, I think my tdee is 1550. I was hoping the gains were from DOMS and the weight training and that I didn't do too much damage in this short period of time. I will make sure to take my rest day this weekend and scale down on the extra cardio. I am at the end of the combat schedule next Friday so I will try and just stick with that and the weight training. I think I will plan a better hybrid of the two when I move on to the next step. I try and keep my protein high with lean foods but do you think I could use more healthy fats in my diet as well?

I'm not overly concerned about your fat intake.

Please read the article I linked and apply it. =)

EDIT: Your TDEE is probably higher than 1550 but that's not really relevant if you apply accurate logging and observe results and adjust accordingly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    You are getting great sources of healthy fats: almonds, EVOO, natural peanut butter. You may need a little more, as you are under on your fats. Avocados are another really good source, if you like them. Almond butter and salmon with skin are also good, as are walnuts/pistachios/cashews.

Your protein looked spot-on the last couple of days, but was low before that. Make sure you are getting enough protein in the morning, it will keep you going and feeling better through the day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    My advice is to listen to SideSteel. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Echo17121
    So, you do body combat everyday, like 7 days a week? Then you added a run(also everyday) and weights 3x? Just making sure I understand this correctly...
    Your week looks like this:
    Monday: body combat, run, weights
    Tuesday: body combat, run
    Wed: Body combat, run, weights
    Thurs: body combat, run
    Friday: body combat, run, weights
    Sat: body combat, run
    Sun: body combat, run
    Or something similar?
    How long is the body combat workout?
    I do up to 3 workouts somedays (up to 4 days total), but they are usually not longer than 30 min. each. The other 3 days usually have only 1 workout, but maybe it is a long run, so they can be up to an hour/hour and 15min. It was ok at the beginning, with my calories at around 1300-1350, I lost 25 pounds quick. But then I was having other issues: leg spasms, trouble sleeping, blood pressure issues. I had to cut back a bit on the working out, and increase protein and calories overall. Just one day of rest can do wonders. I don't see a reason to take an entire week off. I still lost on Spring Break, when I only worked out a few times and had a few days off.

No I generally only do the body combat 6 days a week. The workouts vary in times from 30 mins to 60. Three of the days are HIIT workouts that are about 30 minutes and those are the days that I do my weights. I dropped the run from those days because my legs were wasted so my week looks like this:
    Monday: Combat and run
    Tuesday Combat (hiit) and weights
    Wednesday: Combat and run
    Thursday: Combat (hiit) and weights
    Friday Combat and run
    Saturday: Combat (hiit) and weights
    Sunday is supposed to be my rest day but sometimes I take a zumba class because it isn't really hard for me and I enjoy the dancing. I don't always take that class though if my schedule doesn't permit it.
    I am not having too much trouble with sleep but my energy level has dipped this week and I am relying on a lot of green tea for energy. My legs were dead from the get go today so I think I just need a legit rest day.
  • Echo17121

I'm not overly concerned about your fat intake.

Please read the article I linked and apply it. =)

EDIT: Your TDEE is probably higher than 1550 but that's not really relevant if you apply accurate logging and observe results and adjust accordingly.

Will do thanks so much for all of your help!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member

I'm not sure how it's possible to problem solve without full honesty and accountability. To yourself at least. To me lies of omission are still lies and incomplete data. Truth has always been paramount in my book, for this very reason that if someone is lying about something the problem cannot be solved because there are other factors at play that are not being addressed. I'm truly not calling you a liar but just suggesting that the first step before you start messing with numbers and cals and meals and workouts is to obtain an accurate and complete log of your intake no matter how far you fall off the wagon. Nobody else's opinion of your diary matters than your's so if you get embarrassed to post when you fall off the wagon then make it private but make sure you are using this tool to it's full potential to get accurate data. THEN you can get a better handle on exactly how many cals you've been over and if that explains your current dissatisfaction with your results. It beats making more and more workouts that you are already cringing about, no? Sorry for my english coming out kind of harsh but I think you know what I mean?
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member

Edit, adjusted for 28 yrs old your BMR is 1572 and your TDEE sedentary is 1886. With the heavy exercise you've been doing daily, and I only used 5-6h strenuous, your TDEE moves to 2712. If I use the 7-21h, then TDEE becomes 2987.
    If you use TDEE-20% and 5-6h strenuous exercise weekly, then you need 2169 calories daily.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

-Find your TDEE according to the activities you do. You are already in your weight range for your height so the weight will go down slower. Get your TDEE-20% and eat close to that and always above your BMR. Set the goals in mfp customs/calories needed= TDEE-20%. Then log your exercises daily but only give them 1 calories so the macros do not change based on the workout everyday.

-You do not need to exercise so much. You just need to do toning exercises. Have a day for rest.
    -Eat healthy, lots of fruits and vegetables and natural fats like EVOO, avocado, peanut butter.
    -Weigh everything that enters your mouth. Do not eyeball.
    -Write everything that enters your mouth in the food diary. Be honest whether you binged, or did not eat anything. That's an exercise so you can learn yourself and what the stressors are that lead you to certain behaviors.
  • Echo17121

I'm not sure how it's possible to problem solve without full honesty and accountability. To yourself at least. To me lies of omission are still lies and incomplete data. Truth has always been paramount in my book, for this very reason that if someone is lying about something the problem cannot be solved because there are other factors at play that are not being addressed. I'm truly not calling you a liar but just suggesting that the first step before you start messing with numbers and cals and meals and workouts is to obtain an accurate and complete log of your intake no matter how far you fall off the wagon. Nobody else's opinion of your diary matters than your's so if you get embarrassed to post when you fall off the wagon then make it private but make sure you are using this tool to it's full potential to get accurate data. THEN you can get a better handle on exactly how many cals you've been over and if that explains your current dissatisfaction with your results. It beats making more and more workouts that you are already cringing about, no? Sorry for my english coming out kind of harsh but I think you know what I mean?

No I totally get what you mean and I should do a better job of logging. When I slack here I slack all around and it very well could be the reason for my plateau before I stepped everything up. Don't feel bad for being harsh, I need to hear it!
  • Echo17121

I do not know how old you are but putting 25 yrs, your BMR is 1703 and your TDEE sedentary is 2044! With the heavy exercise you've been doing daily, and I only used 5-6h strenuous, your TDEE moves to 2736! If I use the 7-21h, then TDEE becomes 3014.
    If you use TDEE-20% and 5-6h strenuous exercise weekly, then you need 2189 calories daily.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I actually meant my BMR lol sorry! And I am 28, but I will gladly take 25!