Starving After Running!

sngnyrslp
sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I've noticed that every time I run, I spend the rest of the day completely starving. Today (at like, three o clock) I ran almost 3 miles and I've been so hungry ever since! I ate dinner (chicken parm, penne, and vegetables) at 530, then leftover crab stuffed shrimp, rice and snap peas at about 10. Plus, I've been snacking on rice cakes, baby carrots, and a little cereal the whole time. This is crazy! Am I the only person who gets this hungry? How do I make it stop?!

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    I run first thing in the morning. What I have found works for me is to have something light to eat about 30 minutes before I leave (I eat and then take my dog for a walk and put contacts in/brush teeth/get dressed, etc). Then when I get home I eat breakfast, which I try to make sure has a good amount of protein and fiber. I often have 2 eggs (1 whole egg and 1 egg white), fresh fruit, and some sort of bread (english muffin, eggo waffle, or multigrain bread) usually with peanut butter.

I would suggest eating something higher in protein (and maybe fiber) right after you finish your run.

EDIT: Oh, and by "something light" I mean a banana or yogurt with granola mixed in or something like that.
  • PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    I am the same way if I work out mid day. I have been working out early morning (530ish) for the past 2 weeks and then eat a bigger breakfast and haven't been nearly as hungry.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    are you going over on calories? your body may just be wanting the calories back that you burned off from your run. if you're not going over on calories then eat up. you may also need some extra water from your run and your thirst is being mistaken for hunger.
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    no you are not...I do get hungry too...so after a workout I try and eat something that has alot of protein in it...I told it helps build muscule and is best to eat protein rich food after work outs.

Manda B!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    You are not alone, I'm the same way. I was told what has been said here, eat more protein afterwards.

I don't run but it seems different workouts make me more hungry than others. Just the elliptical and I'm ok. I've started up the shred again and that seems to make me more hungry. Could just be my imagination too. :dunno:
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    I don't find that I'm starving, except after these two workouts: Swimming, and hiking for long distances.

It's weird. Any other cardio, running, jogging, walking, biking, skating.. they don't make me hungry. But swimming and hiking definately do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    That's pretty normal. Exercising in any way makes me very hungry. Lifting weights makes me more hungry than running, but when you spend energy you need to replace it.
This discussion has been closed.