The Story which changed my life - Not weight related

Options
SwitzEngine
SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
My story begins in September 1989 with a Big Bang. I got hit by a car while I was on holiday in France.
Apart from other injuries my had was broken and my left leg was crunched. I was 4 weeks in a comma in a French hospital before the Swiss emergency crew could get me back in a jet. Back in Switzerland I did slowly wake up. There I was, no memory, couldn’t talk, walk, eat, remember, … And I was only 18 years old at the time. Is this my destiny? No, for sure not. This was the start for my 2nd live.

I was one year in all different hospitals in Switzerland and had lots of operations to my head, eye, neck, leg …But I learned slowly to speak again. I started with mmaammaa and laallaa, but it worked. I was in a wheelchair for 6 months, then on “sticks” for 8 months until I could walk again. For my memory I went to a children hospital because they had an internal school. All the staff was still in my head but I had to unlock it. During this time I started smoking L But I quit again in 2006 from one day to another. Never smoked since.

One year after my accident, still in medical care, I started my bachelor degree in business. During my studies I had to go a lot to the hospital. But after all I did it in three years. My health was good and I had a diploma.

Now 25 years later I can look back and I am proud of what I’ve done. Today I am a Unix engineer in banks and I am fit.
I wrote this as an inspiration for other who struggle in life. When you fall, get up again and again and again. Every change is a long process and needs determination. Set a goal you can reach. Once you’ve done it, set your next goal. This process should never end and makes life exciting. Nothing is better the reaching a goal. It makes you proud. Am I proud? Hell yes, I accomplished a lot !

Replies

• Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    Starting over can be so hard, but people like you remind us that if you put in the effort and never stop trying, you can end up not only back to where you were, but in a much better and more successful place than ever before.

My sympathies for the pain and hardship you had to endure, my admiration for your determination and perseverance, and my thanks for sharing your story.
  • applcorp
    applcorp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. It's amazing how strong we can be when we need to. Best of life to you!
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a story! That's fantastic! Thank you for sharing. You're an inspiration!
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a similar story. I was diagnosed with aggressive triple negative Breast cancer at 32. I had surgery radiotherapy & chemo & was told none of them may work & I may still die. I was given 2 years max to live which is hard when 5 mins before that conversation you had your whole life ahead of you. In one conversation your hopes & dreams are swept away and what you thought was a long life is shortened to practically nothing.

But with focus, determination, grit & on occasion downright stubbornness you can achieve your goals. As you say, when you get knocked down, get up again, and again, and again. Don't give up your dreams because a Dr, a professional, a scale, a book, a person, or anything else says you can't do it. You can do it.

I admire your story not because it's a story of strength but because it's a story of living. Life throws hurdles at all of us... some we jump over without stopping... others we need to stop & go around them. The bottom line is, life will go on, it's our choice to either get dragged along or embrace it & dance to its rhythm & tune :smile:

In my case I've always said, the choice is, you have no choice. Quitting and not achieving my dreams is not an option! So here I am 12 years later! Yes, thankyouverymuch Mr Dr you can take your prognosis & shove it :smiley:

Well done on getting your engineering degree. Those things are not easy without recovering from a major trauma!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!