Empty Calories

Hi all, I was just wondering. you always see magazines and healthy food blog saying that vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage contains empty calories (your body burns more calories digesting it then it actually contains). If that is true, then is it really necessary to log in the vegetables? because I find that they really do add up!
If i don't log in my vegetables I can have spare 300 calories! which I can use it to eat something more substantial!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I think you mean negative calories, and no, there is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Log your veggies. Your body knows you ate them, and it will know that you ate an extra 300 calories too.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    edited January 2015
    I think you mean negative calories, and unfortunately there's no such thing as a food with negative calories. You should log everything you eat, including vegetables. The only exceptions I make are for small amounts of hot sauce and some herbs/ spices.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    It's not true. Log your veggies
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    I always log them, if only to feel good about all the veg I managed to eat.

I think what the magazines mean is your body burns an equivalent number of calories in order to process these foods and it cancels out (debatable). But by that logic I burn ca. 1500 calories simply by existing, so do I need to log anything that's under 1500 calories? Well the answer is yes - it all adds up.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Its not true. Log them!