Good Pre-Cooked Chicken Breast

Options
2»

Replies

• boymom121
    boymom121 Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Have you ever heard of John Soules brand. They have pre cooked grilled chicken in small strips and also comes in beef. Not sure if it’s available where you are. They have beef fajita meat pre cooked as well. We use the chicken for salads and if we want quick fajitas we use that and cook some onions and bell peppers and make a quick dinner. I usually add more season to it cause of my taste preference. Usually about a pound i believe in a bag if you get the family size.
  • boymom121
    boymom121 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    4q96o0kvw401.png
    sqdx3b04f7ff.jpeg
    yjhc1gvy1hd3.jpeg
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you live but we get ours from Guaranteed Foods. Lower sodium, precooked and individually packed.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    A suggestion too: before you cook them, brine your chicken breasts! It makes them soooo much better.
    http://www.thekitchn.com/weeknight-meal-tip-try-a-quick-95560

it adds sodium so if you are trying to avoid that for medical reasons, then don't brine but man is it an improvement and basically no work.

Make sure to dry-brine, not wet-brine for the best flavour and texture. :)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/quick-and-dirty-guide-to-brining-turkey-chicken-thanksgiving.html
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    boymom121 wrote: »
    4q96o0kvw401.png
    sqdx3b04f7ff.jpeg
    yjhc1gvy1hd3.jpeg

I buy something similar to this at HEB. It is store branded, so unless you live in Texas, probably out of luck there.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    The thing is that if you're going to get pre-cooked, you're often going to spend more money than if you were to get raw, especially if you're looking for lower sodium or less processed options. Sprouts has really good pre-cooked/heat & go options but each one costs as much as a pound of chicken.

You can always go the deli-meat route. You don't even have to heat it up, but it's going to be super high in sodium.
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Rotisserie chicken at most grocery stores is good. But, you’d spend less if you cooked up a bunch of chicken breasts in a slow cooker or instant Pot and portioned out.

This is another really great option but it'll cost you more in the long run.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    I like the Tysons (frozen precooked chicken) in the "green" bag (not sure what it's called). They have one that's grilled chicken (no breading) and one that's lightly breaded. Both are good. Prob high in salt but for us, it works!

Also, I really like my frozen, pre-cooked breaded chicken - more calories, yes, but keep it in the calorie amount (ie, Tyson southern breaded chicken strips or something).

The Green bag is good stuff, but never seems to come out quite right for texture when microwaved.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Costco rotissere chicken rocks my world.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    Costco rotissere chicken rocks my world.

I love their shredded rotisserie chicken breast meat that you can buy separately from the whole chickens.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm another vote for cook it yourself. I've never had frozen prepared chicken I enjoyed, and you'll also pay more for it. You can slice up a breast or two and pan saute it in 10-15 minutes with a little oil and whatever seasoning you like. Garlic and lemon and pepper is great!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I just bought 9 small chicken thighs and a big bag of casserole vegetables. Put everything in an oven dish, a little bit of oil just to prevent the chicken from sticking to the dish, some spices and herbs, salt. Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 60 minutes in the oven. That's all. For dinner I just took a serving, put it under convection grill combi for 15 minutes and it was warm again and the chicken had a crispy skin. Small serving of rice to go with it. Perfect for a couple of days.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm another vote for cook it yourself. I've never had frozen prepared chicken I enjoyed, and you'll also pay more for it. You can slice up a breast or two and pan saute it in 10-15 minutes with a little oil and whatever seasoning you like. Garlic and lemon and pepper is great!

Honestly, it's one of the reasons why over the last 2 years and almost 40 lbs of weight loss I've eaten a lot more red meat, because frozen burger patties are microwave friendly and chicken breast isn't.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you happen to live in Texas (very very long shot) HEB has an entire line of pre-cooked meat products under their Hill Country Fare brand. I don't remember what the line is called, I don't eat meat often, but it's alllllllll good stuff, and you can't miss it.

The price is quite a bit more than buying a five pound bag and cooking the breasts yourself (I recommend an instant pot for that, super fast and supposed to give you moist and tender chicken breast), but reasonable compared to the brand name stuff.
  • ThaydraR
    ThaydraR Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's already been mentioned, but I'm going to reiterate it. Crock pot. Not only can you easily prep your chicken in it, but you can make all sorts of actual meals in it: Soups, stews, roasts, etc. etc... the list is pretty endless, and all stuff you could package up into take-and-eat containers. If you have room in your dorm (or wherever you will be staying), then I totally urge you to invest in one.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Tyson green bag :)