The Fast Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

OP, come and join us over here, where we know what it means, and where many of us have been following it for quite some time, so we've got lots of tips and support.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not a low carb diet or a fad diet or a crash diet. It's based on years of study at the University of Illinois and elsewhere. There are multiple books written on it and it's been around and respected as legitimate for maybe 8-10 years.
    Cancer has also been around for a while, that doesn't make it any better.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    People who know nothing about 5:2 and the benefits of intermittent fasting will always hate on you when you so much as mention 'fasting'. It's not where you don't eat for long periods of time, and you don't feel ill or (god forbid) go into 'starvation mode' *shudders*.

Expect narrow minded people to put it down, embrace their pig-headedness. Lots of medical professionals now actually advise the 5:2 way of life (because it isn't a diet) to their patients.

Anyway! That's my 2 pennies ;) I've never been able to stick to low calorie 'diets' so I much prefer this way of life, as for me - it's very much sustainable.

As Melanie said very rightly above, visit the Groups where people actually know the facts about 5:2.

Good luck!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're losing "fast" on the Fast Diet, you may gain it back even faster!
    Is this diet sustainable? Is it cutting out major food groups?
    All you really need is a reasonable deficit.
    This is also known as the 5:2 diet. You'll have better look using that term around here. A lot of people use it and succeed with it, and other IF protocols.

Just make sure you meet your calorie and nutrition goals.

• SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ]People who know nothing about 5:2 and the benefits of intermittent fasting will always hate on you when you so much as mention 'fasting'. It's not where you don't eat for long periods of time, and you don't feel ill or (god forbid) go into 'starvation mode' *shudders*.

Expect narrow minded people to put it down, embrace their pig-headedness. Lots of medical professionals now actually advise the 5:2 way of life (because it isn't a diet) to their patients.

Anyway! That's my 2 pennies ;) I've never been able to stick to low calorie 'diets' so I much prefer this way of life, as for me - it's very much sustainable.

As Melanie said very rightly above, visit the Groups where people actually know the facts about 5:2.

Good luck!
    Oh for goodness sake. The way the OP worded her posts has lots to do with the replies.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    People who know nothing about 5:2 and the benefits of intermittent fasting will always hate on you when you so much as mention 'fasting'. It's not where you don't eat for long periods of time, and you don't feel ill or (god forbid) go into 'starvation mode' *shudders*.

Good luck!

To be fair, at my gym there is currently the talk of a Fast Diet not as in fasting, but quickly. As in, a 24 hour diet (or 48 hour) that is supposed to get you to shred 5 kg (11 pounds) in that time.

So it is not all that surprising that people got confused.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Gained it back. It was not for me, but has worked for others. If you do it, please make sure to keep up with it, so you don't gain it back.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    The Fast 2 Diet everyone. And I'm super careful to eat really well on the days I'm not doing the fasting. I just heard a story about it on NPR. Here is a link to the story.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/07/29/205845319/two-day-diets-how-mini-fasts-can-help-maximize-weight-loss
  • Revcminor
    Options
    I meant the 5:2 diet. Seems safe to me. And I'm getting real results.