Not sure how to calculate this 'exercise'

Options
Every other saturday (during jan and feb), i spend all day at the church, photographing the basketball teams during their games. I literally spend the day walking around the full sized gym. This is far and above my normal activity level (LOL!) but.... im not sure how to calculate it? Any ideas?

Replies

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Surely it's just walking at whatever pace, minus however much time you vaguely calculate you stop to shoot? Why not use a pedometer or a Fitbit or something?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if i had something like that, i would lol
  • StephieMae81
    Options
    Log it as walking, slow pace under cardiovascular exercises. You just have to guesstimate how much time you spend walking vs. standing. I would be conservative and say less than half the time walking.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    i was there from 7 to 3, i said 80 minutes of active time (if i remember right), which is probably grossly underestimated, but it gave me something, you know? i dont want to overestimate and eat a ton back, and cancel out the good i did.

as a side note, last year when I did it (before i started trying to exercise a little more), i would get home at the end of the day and be not only exhausted, but would have horribly sore feet and muscles and achy and miserable. While i wont say i wasn't a little achy when i got home (mostly hips), I took a hot bath and was back to normal and not sore or tired at all! So a vast improvement from the year before!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I would be careful about assuming that the fact that you were exhausted means you burned a lot of calories. This will happen if you, like most of us, aren't typically on your feet all day. The good thing about the MFP exercise log is that you have many choices when logging walking (slow, moderate, brisk, very brisk, uphill etc.). If you were taken pictures during games when can probably cross slow of the list!
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Were you squatting a lot during the day? I know that when I'm on a photo shoot that I squat a lot. I don't usually log it as exercise though so I'm not sure what you can do other than put a pedometer app on your phone and see how accurate that is.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    i was up and down, back and forth all day long. i wasnt exhausted (the year before i was, might be where you are getting that). my hips were sore, but a hot bath cured that and i felt fine afterwards. not sore at all today, either.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    do you have a good ped app, ruggedshutter? ill try that next time and see what it says?
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would consider this daily activity and wouldn't log it, but that's just me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    if i were at all active in my daily life, i would; but im not, so this gets counted! LOLOLOLOL
  • disneygirl626
    disneygirl626 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any apps but you can definitely get a cheap pedometer at Wal-Mart for $7-$10. It will tell you both how many steps you've taken and how many miles that is (divide the miles by how many hours you were there and you've got your pace).
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just allocate a set amount of walking to it. Its continuous activity. Its a guess. It isnt going to be make or break and its in your interests to be honest and conservative. If you dont count it your body will still get the benefit 100%. I doubt id eat more than a small % of this back if any.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I would consider this daily activity and wouldn't log it, but that's just me.
    I agree. I sit behind a desk on most days. On days when I go to an expo, I am on my feet the entire day moving around. It just counts as another day when I log things.

I think it would be a huge mistake to log this time and think you can eat more because of it. If your goal is to lose weight, this seems like a dangerous thing to do.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    since i dont eat back my exercise calories burned ,im not worried about that aspect LOL
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    since i dont eat back my exercise calories burned ,im not worried about that aspect LOL

Don't worry about logging it then
  • CatrinEluned
    Options
    Why not try downloading something like Runkeeper onto your phone? It tracks more than just runs (walking/cycling/rowing pretty much everything) and shows you how many calories you burned as well as average pace and all that other stuff
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Why on earth do you care about calculating it then? Seems like a waste of time, no?
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Why on earth do you care about calculating it then? Seems like a waste of time, no?

Yeah, if you're not going to eat back calories, then don't worry about logging it. I only log runs and sometimes strength workouts if I have my HRM—and I only log those because I *do* like to eat back calories sometimes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    if i were at all active in my daily life, i would; but im not, so this gets counted! LOLOLOLOL

you know you can up your calorie content by 100 calories a day or so- to massage it in for 2 months then drop it back down- it's something you can change.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    i log and track it cause you know, i like to know.

crazy thing.

thanks for the advice, everyone