EU guideline for VLCDs revised

Options
yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
Europe's food safety organisation EFSA have pronounced on the issue of Very Low Calorie Diets and come up with a science-based minimum spec, described here with science available to download here and no doubt on the EU web sites.

TL;DR - 600 kcal/day with minimum 75g protein, 30g carbohydrate, 11g linoleic acid, 1.4g alpha-linolenic acid plus vitamins and minerals at RDI. No minimum fibre value.

Fluid intake from all sources was set at 2.5 L and 2.0 L/day for adult men and women respectively.

Food replacement products recommendations based on limited time single use, and not on repeated short term use.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Interesting. It also includes a max on protein of 105g/day, it also looks like.
  • KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Yarwell. Yes thats interesting and I did a sachet diet last year through the doctor and chemist that was a VLCD, I did it for about three months and didnt loose anything. Was way too hard just drinking powder and fruit. Eek.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Wait, you ate 600 cals a day for three months and didn't lose any weight? Could you give use the details of your experience?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I missed this, thanks for posting.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Hi Yarwell. Yes thats interesting and I did a sachet diet last year through the doctor and chemist that was a VLCD, I did it for about three months and didnt loose anything. Was way too hard just drinking powder and fruit. Eek.

Did you eat 800 calories a day of fruit or something ?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    @KiwiJo42
    What exactly did you eat, what were your foods?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @KiwiJo42

Why have you been so interested in what those who have done VLCDs were eating? You're digging up necro threads... It doesn't matter what one eats for weight loss. Wouldn't it be better for your health to weigh your food instead of going very low with calories?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @KiwiJo42

You have gone into two VLCD threads asking people what they ate.

Are you considering this?

Just stop.

If you have reached a stall with your weight loss, reach out for help and start a thread.

I remember you when you first started. You were all gung ho with your weight loss. You posted progress pictures in the success stories threads.

I remember you posting about low carbing, and now you're doing this? What is going on here?
  • LINIA
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll

You might have me confused with someone here with a very similar name, i began LcHf in January of this year and haven't stalled or deviated. I have lost maybe 12 or 14 pounds and would like to lose another 5 or so.

Clothing size from an 8 to now a 4.

Sorry but i'm sure i haven't been posting progress pics, not that i remember everything.

....i do like to ask ppl what they eat. It's because i have so many food allergies and food intolerances, if ppl don't share that info, it's quite fine.

No offense intended.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll

You might have me confused with someone here with a very similar name, i began LcHf in January of this year and haven't stalled or deviated. I have lost maybe 12 or 14 pounds and would like to lose another 5 or so.

Clothing size from an 8 to now a 4.

Sorry but i'm sure i haven't been posting progress pics, not that i remember everything.

....i do like to ask ppl what they eat. It's because i have so many food allergies and food intolerances, if ppl don't share that info, it's quite fine.

No offense intended.

The reason people are concerned is that you are asking people eating Very Low Calorie Diets what they eat. With 5 lbs to lose and your current size there is NO WAY that you should be eating vlcd.
  • LINIA
    Options
    Once again , a misunderstanding - I'm eating LcHf and began eating that way in January of 2016. Sure, I'd like to lose around 5 pounds but I'm not about to stop eating LcHF.
    After I originally asked the above question , it was a surprise to me that anyone could think my question was for me to change my WOE, no it was just curiosity.
    My weight has been pretty steady my entire life with very few fluctuations. I have not posted before and after photos here on MFP.
    My guess is that a VLCD must be exactly what I eat but without the Kerry Gold butter and without the olive oil.
    Good luck to everyone in maintaining or losing during this upcoming holiday season.
    Wishing all who are struggling the strength to stay the course,
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Once again , a misunderstanding - I'm eating LcHf and began eating that way in January of 2016. Sure, I'd like to lose around 5 pounds but I'm not about to stop eating LcHF.
    After I originally asked the above question , it was a surprise to me that anyone could think my question was for me to change my WOE, no it was just curiosity.
    My weight has been pretty steady my entire life with very few fluctuations. I have not posted before and after photos here on MFP.
    My guess is that a VLCD must be exactly what I eat but without the Kerry Gold butter and without the olive oil.
    Good luck to everyone in maintaining or losing during this upcoming holiday season.
    Wishing all who are struggling the strength to stay the course,
    I believe you might have 'Very Low Carb Diet' and 'Very Low Calorie Diet' mixed up. Usually, threads that mention VLCDs are discussing very low calorie diets.
  • yarwell
    Options
    The VLCD of this topic is very low CALORIE also known as a Protein Sparing Modified Fast.

"What you eat" is a prepared formula shake with 100% of micronutrients. The link in the OP explains. 75g of high quality protein, 30g of carbs and 14 of essential fats. Used under medical supervision.