how quickly can you lose a stone?

Options
Who has lost 1 stone or over and how long did It take you? X

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Over 3 stone in 6 months, starting from obese.
  • riahb2012
    riahb2012 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing! Congratulations!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how high your starting weight is. If you only have a stone to lose, it will take longer than someone who is many stones overweight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    About 2 months.
  • riahb2012
    Options
    Yes I have heard something like this, im 2 stone over my ideal weight, so im guessing it'll take me a while! @Laurend224‌
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options

At what speed will you be throwing said stone?

Joking aside, it depends on how hard of an effort you put in. Just because someone tells you it should take x amount of time, it does not mean x = 1. The variable of x could possible be 3 or even 6.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As said it depends where your start point is. It also depends on how much effort you put in from deiting properly and with some disicipline to create a deficit and how much effort you put into burning calories. The second challenge you will have is keeping it off.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    With respect to diets: speed kills.

Focus on losing the weight no matter what it takes, nor how long it takes.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Without exercise and with ignoring safety concerns, a person could lose a stone in about 4 weeks. With exercise, as has been demonstrated by some TV shows, a person could lose a stone in a week. But you probably shouldn't try to lose a stone in less than seven weeks.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose and how much water you were retaining on the day you recorded your starting weight. I lost half a stone in the first 2 weeks, but I know full well I was retaining quite a bit of water when I started (hello, lady stuff!) and figure I've been losing about half to 3/4 a pound a week since. My MFP rate is set to a pound a week, but I'm fine with achieving slightly less than that, as I feel balanced and steady as I go, I think maintaining will be a snap. I started with a 20 pounds to lose goal, so similar to yours....
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 lbs (4 stone, 6 lbs) in just shy of one year. I expect to have lost 63 lbs (4 stone, 7 lbs) at the exactly-one-year mark.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    riahb2012 wrote: »
    Yes I have heard something like this, im 2 stone over my ideal weight, so im guessing it'll take me a while! @Laurend224‌

I started at a similarly overweight place as you. Lost half a stone first month (lots of water weight from my previously super salty, indulgent eating ways; still had to GO). Next 7lbs took me 2 months (~10 weeks). Still a relatively quick pace. IMO, 1lb/week average, which is 1 stone loss over 3 or so months, is a pretty nice clip for someone with not a lot to lose.

If you're realistic in your food intake (honestly, we don't have to take drastic measures, I promise), a modest deficit and some light/moderate exercise combined with that can mean you're on your way to a healthy weight by summer.
  • riahb2012
    Options
    Wow thankyou for all the feedback everyone! And good luck in your goals! X
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    It's taken me about 11 weeks to lose a stone, which I'm really pleased with, being a shortie (5'2") a stone feels a lot to me. I have 1.5 more stone to lose, which I expect will take longer than the first one since weight loss slows the closer you are to a healthy weight.

I'm anticipating taking at least 3 months for the next stone, and 2-3 months for the last 6 pounds. But it's not a race. As long as you're heading in the right direction overall, all is well.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I think there are some boxers who can lose over 10 lbs of water in one marathon training session. You can also lose a lot of water (4+lbs) just by going low carb. So, it would be possible to lose 14 lbs in a couple of days (but no fat).

I've lost 110 lbs in 8 mths, so that's just under one stone a month, but I started out at morbidly obese. Someone with only 14 pounds to lose might do so at 0.5 lbs/week, so around 6 months. A recomper might play around with 10 pounds over an even longer period of time, and end up weighing the same at the end (but have lost 10 lbs of body fat). I want to know when I'll be at my goal weight too, but I think the only way I'll find out is by riding it out....sorry....

Stay positive - any changes you make to be healthier will benefit you in ways beyond pounds lost, and being stronger and faster, how you look, and fitting into smaller clothes may end up being more important to you than what the scale says. Good luck :)
  • riahb2012
    Options
    Thankyou @kyta32‌ that's great advice! Good luck in your goals!
  • j0reo
    j0reo Posts: 6
    Options
    Take progress pictures....Counting lbs lost isn't always best, as we all know muscle weighs more that fat. Take pictures to document your body changing shape, you probably won't notice the changes day to day.