Dairy-free favorites, anyone?

Options
I'm dairy-free and I'm working on a list of my favorite dairy alternatives. I thought it would be fun to brainstorm with other people and find out what they think is awesome. I'm always looking for new things to try.
I always go with unsweetened almond milk. I think it tastes best and it's less than 40 calories per calcium-packed serving. Daiya is my favorite fake cheese, though I use it sparingly. I've made cashew cheese and eggplant cheese and neither rung my bell but I think I preferred the eggplant version, especially as a queso replacement (I AM a Texan after all.) For a protein boost the best shake I've found is Vega Protein and Greens, which is pricey but a heck of a lot cheaper than the fast food and sodas I used to consume. :wink: I also recently discovered Rise protein bars, which only come in two vegan flavors but they are dense enough to make me feel full for a good long time. If I run late in the morning I can confidently grab one of those and a piece of fruit and know I'm not going to starve. Although they contain a bit more sugar than I wish they did.
What else have you guys found that is dairy-free that helps you with your new healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    We drink soy and almond milk around here, I use Daiya occasionally on pizza. I make 'cheese' sauces with nutritional yeast. And, I make my own ice cream (with coconut milk) as the vegan ones are too spendy.
  • loseitnow93
    loseitnow93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened cashew milk is awesome!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I occasionally use almond cheese, both the mozzarella and cheddar.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    We drink soy and almond milk around here, I use Daiya occasionally on pizza. I make 'cheese' sauces with nutritional yeast. And, I make my own ice cream (with coconut milk) as the vegan ones are too spendy.

Yes to the nutritional yeast! I am not vegan, but nutritional yeast makes a great nutritious "cheesy" flavored topping or whisked into a sauce base to top potatoes, pasta, veggies, eggs (for egg eaters), you name it. Reminds me, I should get some more. Mama needs her favorite flavor enhancer (I put it on veggies and popcorn, yummy goodness).