How to increase protein %

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    (My LBM is under 100 lbs, not grams. That would be pretty amazing.)
  • 19juanita72
    19juanita72 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    What is a good protein for breakfast other than eggs? I don't want to do protein shakes
  • hollypend
    hollypend Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds added to smotheys adds your protein intake. As do nuts and peanut butter. They do contain fat though

Yes, they launch your fat % too
  • hollypend
    Options
    hollypend wrote: »
    Great suggestion - Ithe ore logging does help.

Is there a way to look at the nutrition % pie for a single meal?
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    I'm on a 40% carb, 30% fat 30% protein 1700 cal plan
    Is there no variance in your plan?

Does your plan fall apart if you end the day with

35% carb | 35% Fat | 30% Protein
    or
    30% carb | 40% Fat | 30% Protein

I would go nuts trying to hit the exact percentage on all three macros every day.

I'm working with a nutritionist so yes we are targeting those %s - I'm not hitting exact at all, just aiming to move closer towards that goal as I'm tracking and learning more.
  • hollypend
    Options
    Just seems to put me over the fat % too. Like yesterday for breakfast making baked eggs in a nest with one whole egg and one egg white and just a tiny sprinkle of cheddar cheese - low protein % and it launched the fat %.

It's been confusing.

It launched the fat percentage because your meal was low carb (not that that is a bad thing, especially if weight loss is your goal). Fat has 9 calories a gram protein has 4. Thats y it really jumps the fat percentage.

If you're eating quality animal products like most people mentioned in the comments you really dont have anything to worry about unless you eat a pot of processed high carb foods.

Id recommend full fat dairy over low or fat fre

Yes true. I actually have been mostly dairy free with the exception of some cheese. I'm going to try adding in some cottage cheese.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm on a 40% carb, 30% fat 30% protein 1700 cal plan

Finding I'm consistently under my goal protein %.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

So far I've found protein shakes, fish, greek yogurt, chicken and egg whites give me the most protein for the calories. I do two to 3 scoops of protein powder a day to me my macro.

• hollypend
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm thinking about going back to adding in low fat cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Also maybe go back to a whey supplement from time to time.

I'll start a new thread for recommendations :)
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    protein pellets = shrimp.
  • mzsuziQ60
    Options
    Thnx everyone. I've enjoyed reading these posts as I had the same problem. I was getting good at being at my carb & fat intakes but was always coming up short on my protein so I've listened to a bunch of great suggestions & I think for me adding in more Greek yogurt is the way. I do alrdy take atleast one nutritional shake per day but not the high protein type because I want more options (& I LOVE Greek yogurt) so it's a no brainer for me. I'm disabled & live a very sedentary lifestyle so I skip lunch & have an ensure shake instead. Also I don't know about anyone else but I've checked labels on nonfat & fat free & sugar free yogurt & milk blah blah & to be honest there's not much difference (calorie OR fat wise) as I've if the earlier posters pointed out so I don't know why everyone worries so much about maybe 20 calories instead of 16 calories or 17g fat versus 12g fat ..thats not a whole lot & things taste betr (just my opinion)..& also I've always known sugar substitutes were bad for me (personally) NOW they're finally coming out & saying how extremely bad sugar substitutes are (thank God) so using yogurt & (whole) milk products can be made to taste yummy just by adding in some fresh fruit or abit of strawberry nesquick. One thing I've learned since I started this last spring is that I can eat tasty foods & still stay within my sugar/carb/calorie & protein limits ea day. Thanx again for some new & diverse things to try & good luck to you all .
  • mclelis
    mclelis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boca Burgers work well to add protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What is a good protein for breakfast other than eggs? I don't want to do protein shakes

Low fat dairy. Greek yogurt or cottage cheese especially. Any kind of leaner meat you like (depending on how much you care about traditional breakfasts, I don't). Oatmeals will have some, generally not a lot for the calories, but they will add carbs, not fat, so might help you balance.
  • zakkiwakki
    Options
    Knock your carbs back to allow for the increase in fat that meeting your protein targets brings. Carbs are the least important of the macros.