What would you order?

Options
I'm going out for lunch for a coworker's birthday and I'm super tired of fish tacos from this place. I don't want to blow the bank on calories with lunch because we are traveling tonight. That means I'm eating out for dinner too.

I was thinking of just ordering 2 tacos a la carte. and maybe a side of black beans. Any less boring suggestions? Here is the menu

http://authenticmex.com/restaurant/la-tonalteca/stanton/stanton-menu

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Here are some good options:

97. Vegetarian Fajitas
    Mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, onions, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes and cheese, served with beans, salad and a choice of (2) flour or (3) corn tortillas. $10.99

99. Veggie Simpatia
    Vegetables medley, mushrooms, onions, carrots, mango, red and poblano peppers. Prepared with our Rico sauce. Served with rice. $9.99

I'm a vegetarian, which steers my choices (I don't even know how to advise on meat options since I have no idea about their calories). I would pick #97 if I'm very hungry (more filling with the beans) and #99 if I'm not that hungry. The real caloric punch comes from the tortillas and the rice, which you can control how much you eat if they give you more than 1 serving.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    They don't give any calorie figures on their menu, so it is hard to pick. There are a number of options you might have:
    a. exercise to offset a higher calorie meal and have what you fancy
    b. they have a nice selection of salads that on the face of it don't look like they would break the bank (watch for dressings tho, they can be nastily high cal), also the meat seems to be mostly grilled, so again, if you are sensible with add-ons, it shouldn't be too bad to try and fit in
    c. if this is a one off and there isn't a coworker's birthday every other day, take the lunch as a treat, try and stay sensible with the menu and quantities, maybe allow yourself to get up to maintenance calorie amount and get back to eating normal the next day

HTH
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a great choice because you can control portion and add ons. Doesn't have to be veggie. Meat isn't a bad thing.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    The salads with grilled chicken or steal would be good without the crispy tortilla dressing on the side.
    The 12 ounce seafood soup looks good too.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That soup does look good and its a good day for soup here. Very chilly.

I like fajitas, but not for lunch. Then I feel like I smell like them for the rest of the day since they bring them out sizzling. I feel the same way about Korean BBQ. So good. So smelly.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Burrito del Mar and tell them to put the "rico sauce" on the side. Even the Burrito Azteca sounds good and filling as long as the stuff on top is put onto the side (the chees, pico de gallo, and green sauce). Sounds like a yummy place!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If it's during "lunch" hours, get one of the lunch specials. They're all portioned down and easier on your pocketbook.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Fajitas are a great choice because you can control portion and add ons. Doesn't have to be veggie. Meat isn't a bad thing.

This is always my first choice.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had the sopa de mariscos. It was good and only about 300 calories. It had fish, shrimp, crab, mussels, scallops and the broth was tomato based with what I think was a touch of coconut milk. Very yummy and I love seafood.