Do you do cardio AND Yoga

Options
I'm going to start doing yoga 2 times a week as part of my training. Going to do Jillian's Yoga Meltdown, which is like 30 minutes. I feel like maybe yoga alone won't burn enough calories. When you do yoga, what other workouts do you do on that day?

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Yoga can be really time consuming. What I do is yoga on days when I've had a two or three mile walk or a 30 minute bike ride. It's a nice balance for me. So, I do yoga when I'm not something shorter and not as intense.

I would seriously invest in a few live classes before doing dvds. You need a live instructor to help you fine tune your positions and it's helpful when beginning so you can have proper modifications.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yoga can be really time consuming. What I do is yoga on days when I've had a two or three mile walk or a 30 minute bike ride. It's a nice balance for me. So, I do yoga when I'm not something shorter and not as intense.

I would seriously invest in a few live classes before doing dvds. You need a live instructor to help you fine tune your positions and it's helpful when beginning so you can have proper modifications.

I am avoiding that for 2 reasons: I am a broke college student, and I have balance issues due to a brain condition and don't wanna have to be in front of people using a chair for balance.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I understand being broke as for the other issue, I can promise you, in a live class, there were all kinds of modifications. No one would think any less of you for trying something and doing your best.
  • lisavolungis
    lisavolungis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing level one of that video for about 6 months. I do it on some days I don't have a workout class or go to the gym. It definitely helped with muscle tone in my arms, abs, and thighs, but if you are worried about burning a lot of calories I would pair it with a short, intense cardio workout.
    I have memorized level 1 and now can do it while watching a TV show I like, so it gets done a lot more:)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do yoga when my other workouts for the week have been crazy intense, I'm tired or sore. It is a great way to stretch out and refocus/balance your body. I don't do it for the calorie burn. I think it is ok to do any other workout on the same day as yoga. If its hot yoga, just make sure to rehydrate!
  • queenofshiva
    Options
    I've been going to a studio that has cardio classes (barre fit and bootcamp classes) along with hatha yoga classes. I have been slacking a tad, but I am going to try to go 3-4 times a week (only been 1-2 lately) along with taking my dog for long walks (30 mins-hour+) on days when I am not going. I feel the combo has definitely made me leaner especially in the legs, thighs, and arms.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options

I am avoiding that for 2 reasons: I am a broke college student, and I have balance issues due to a brain condition and don't wanna have to be in front of people using a chair for balance.

Iyengar yoga focuses on proper alignment with the aid of tools. I've also done yoga where the instructor was a wheelchair user. Most studios offer free first classes, and there are even free or lower cost classes available to people in certain communities. Particularly people with various health conditions. I recommend looking into something like that.
  • SuperFitRich
    SuperFitRich Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do Yoga for an hour and a half ever Sunday morning. Never been so relaxed!