Texas?

Options
Chelsinicole63
Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
Well my family is considering moving to houston...
Whats it like there?
Do people have really strong accents?
Is there a nice beach I can go to?

Replies

• malmustafa79
    malmustafa79 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im from texas and am actually moving to houston in 2 weeks, Galevston is not too far from there it is nice. there are other beaches but are further away. I live 30 minutes from South Padre now, and it is very hot and humid here so be prepared for that. Also on the accent it depends I have lived up north and was told I had a thick accent but you get use to it :wink:
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    no nice beaches... is all mulky water. yuck! it is not clear blue!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Rock Port Beach is awesome...
    Haven't been to South Padre in a while, but it's definitely a hot spot.

Prepare for Houston, though. I lived in Dallas and now Austin, and they are great places to do and find it all...heard Houston is way too big, over populated, and insufferable when it comes to the humidity. Hope you're on the outskits...Texas A&M?! Go Aggies!
    Whatever and where ever, the folks in Texas are phenomenal...you'll love us...ha ha ha...
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've lived in the Houston area my entire life. Here's a rundown:

- It's a very international city (especially in the main part of the city, not the burbs). Lots of ethnic food restaurants (TONS of awesome Mexican food, Indian, Vietnamese, Greek, Thai, etc). People have less noticeable accents here than in other parts of Texas. I have no accent at all (when I visit other states, they don't believe I'm from Texas). Some people have really strong accents, but they're usually from the burbs or surrounding cities.

- It's HOT and HUMID. If you go to those rain forest exhibits in some natural museums and you can't handle the muggy air, then you can't handle June through late August/early September in Houston. It's been in the 90's with up to 80% humidity pretty much all week. Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna grow gills.

- When looking for a place to buy/rent, make VERY SURE to check its flood history. There's plenty of areas that are safe from flooding, but we're so close to the coast and we have bayous, so it can flash flood in a lot of areas. Most of the places I've had have been safe, but my parents' house has flooded like 3 times during the tropical weather season (three different seasons, not three times each season, lol).

- It's the 4th biggest city in the country, so you get a lot of big city perks: great museums, concert venues, fine dining, excellent theater district (opera, ballet, musicals, etc), a couple of cool independent movie theaters that show indie films and/or old campy stuff from the 80's, several free museums, and lots of small ethnic pockets (the Indian part of town, the Vietnamese part of town, etc) for great food and interesting shopping trips.

- We're not as cool as Austin, but we're only 3 hours from Austin - and Austin is COOL. We've got our own funky/fun parts like the art car museum/art car parade, the entire Montrose neighborhood (the gay/fashion/hipster district), the Heights historic district, Rice University, etc.

- EXCELLENT medical center - people fly in to our cancer center from all over the world.

- As far as beaches are concerned, Galveston (45 min south of Hou) gets a bad rap for having "dirty" water. I studied oceanography at Texas A&M university at Galveston for 2 years (before I dropped out :/ ), and the water only looks murky because it has a lot of sand suspended in it. This keeps it from looking bright blue, but it is perfectly clean and safe, and in fact healthier than a lot of US beaches. We have dolphins quite a bit. I've seen a lot of 'em. Nice things about Galveston: great shrimp, great red snapper, great oysters (though we'll see what happens with the oil spill), great flounder, the water warms up A LOT faster than it does in the Atlantic or Pacific (so you don't feel like shrieking when you get in the water in late April/ early May), there's a Schlitterbahn waterpark, Moody Gardens aquarium and IMAX, tons of restaurants, really interesting history. I lived here for 4 years.
    Bad things about Galveston: They keep the tourist path shiny, but it's really REALLY poor. Sad. The east end of the island has a ton of housing projects. I lived next door to one. You get hit up for money a lot if you go to certain areas.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions or want any tips, lemme know. I've been here tooooo long, so I know Houston pretty darned well.