Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
Okay, so does anyone else hate cardio like me? Is there any way to burn as many calories by warming up with cardio and then going straight to machines? I would much rather do strength training. Most of my friends are the opposite!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do what floats your boat. Maybe, just maybe, you haven't found a cardio activity that you enjoy yet (I would rather chew on broken glass than spend hours on a treadmill or elliptical etc but I love running outside, snowshoeing, skiing, biking etc etc etc)
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

The afterburn effect means you'll burn more in less time doing it.

It also builds strength due to explosive bursts
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You could do a small warm up with cardio. Then grab a barbell and weight plates and get to work. You will burn plenty of calories lifting heavy. Save the machines for last just for accessory work. Or, don't use them at all, that's up to you. Depends on your goals.
  • ehmadore
    ehmadore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You may not burn as many calories in the short period of time they are on the machine but strength training means you'll burn calories all day long. However, you really need to do some cardio IMHO. I have found cardio type classes are the best work out for me. I change it up, going from boot camps, to body combat, etc.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Stair master is one cardio m/c that if set correctly gives more bang for less bucks. Try warming up with it but take it easy with the setting.
    It's brutal.

Next in line to stairMaster, IMHO, is Elliptical.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you enjoy doing....because you're more likely to keep doing it. If your friends prefer the dreadmill, let them at it. If you prefer something else, do that other thing. I like boot camps and boxing classes....they mix cardio with resistance exercises (and very little work on the dreadmills, unless we're doing dreadmill intervals in a particular boot camp). I burn a crap load of calories, jack up my heart rate to trigger EPOC, get stronger, and feel great afterwards!
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Do what floats your boat. Maybe, just maybe, you haven't found a cardio activity that you enjoy yet

This.

For the most part I hate machines... elliptical, stationary bikes, rowers. But I can easily do 30-45 minutes walking on a treadmill using a random program, listening to IHeartRadio. The time flies by. When the weather is nice, I prefer to walk outdoors. Again, IHeartRadio and Map My Walk. MMW makes it a challenge.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't have to burn extra calories. Just eat less and lift. And I'd recommend free weights and barbells over machines. Look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    fizzleh wrote: »
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

I agree with doing HIIT, I hate the treadmill and the elliptical if I am on there for more than 10 minutes. If I am on them, I usually do intervals. Steady state cardio is not my thing.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Your body stops burning calories as soon as you step off the treadmill.

With strength your body goes on burning afterward, for quite some time.

Of course, you can't measure the 'extra' residual burn, but you'll notice more and better changes in your body with lifting.

I like to do both, and I have a love-hate cycle with both. Right now I'm really into running, but ask me in a month and I'll be deadlifting again.

Do whatever feels good for you.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You don't have to burn extra calories. Just eat less and lift. And I'd recommend free weights and barbells over machines. Look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women, or Stronglifts 5x5.

^This. Running and the like is a great tool for cardiovascular health, but if you are more interested in weight/strength training, you don't have to force yourself to do cardio just to burn calories. I look at cardio as allowing me to eat more and maintain cardiovascular health, and the gym primarily as a time to increase strength etc. Primary tool for less calories should be a lower caloric intake.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Agree with this. You can absolutely get by without cardio. Is that the best idea? That's another topic. Definitely look into some type of structured plan such as New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts. I like http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout but there are tons out there. Whatever you do, I would try and get off the machines and onto free weights as soon as you can.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I agree with this^!

I started New Rules in December and I love it! I do it MWF, but in between I'll do some kind of cardio on the "rest" days in between.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    MCIBTY wrote: »

Wait, what? When did that start happening? This is just plain untrue, you know that right?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MCIBTY wrote: »

With strength your body goes on burning afterward, for quite some time.

Of course, you can't measure the 'extra' residual burn, but you'll notice more and better changes in your body with lifting.

I like to do both, and I have a love-hate cycle with both. Right now I'm really into running, but ask me in a month and I'll be deadlifting again.

Do whatever feels good for you.

Um, no, it doesn't...
  • neurex
    neurex Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually don't start really like running until a month or two after I start (I have been on again, off again for some time). It seems like I have to become fit enough to run a mile or two without stopping before I begin to enjoy it. Perhaps it is similar with other cardio? Anyways, do what you are motivated to do and enjoy it!
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

You won't build any strength from HIIT, that's quite a popular myth.

Yes you can burn more cals in a shorter time, but if it's true HIIT you won't be able to do it very often which means over the space of a week you'll burn less calories than steady state cardio which you can do everyday without it impacting on other training sessions.

Even full time athletes don't do much true HIIT, so why regular trainees think they can do it regularly is beyond me.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

EPOC (aka afterburn) is normally greatly overestimated. Stimulating increased EPOC from HIIT requires going much harder than many here consider ... maximal and supermaximal VO2 efforts during cardio intervals (testing was 20 sprint intervals at supermaximal VO2 effort); 3 sets, 8 exercises, 3-8 reps at 80-90% 1RM when lifting ... all for about 50 cals of afterburn.
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

EPOC (aka afterburn) is normally greatly overestimated. Stimulating increased EPOC from HIIT requires going much harder than many here consider ... maximal and supermaximal VO2 efforts during cardio intervals (testing was 20 sprint intervals at supermaximal VO2 effort); 3 sets, 8 exercises, 3-8 reps at 80-90% 1RM when lifting ... all for about 50 cals of afterburn.

This!

So much misinformation about HIIT and EPOC.

The unfortunate truth is people are better off just doing the boring steady state cardio if calorie burn is the goal, it's really that simple.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Every tried HIIT cardio?

This!

So much misinformation about HIIT and EPOC.

The unfortunate truth is people are better off just doing the boring steady state cardio if calorie burn is the goal, it's really that simple.

Yes, This and That. The nice thing about HIIT is that it is time efficient. I also prefer doing my intervals on the stationary bike. There is no impact and I get an insane quad pump. But, yea, HIIT is not magic. I still follow it up with some incline walking.