Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    gjabouin wrote: »
    thanks for the help everyone. I don't think you're understanding what I meant though. Im not saying to eat twinkies as a diet. Its just to show that it is possible to eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie goal. I was thinking about going low carb but it would be difficult. I take blood thinner medication to prevent stroke and blood clots and I have to take it, not optional. unfortunately I cant eat anything green while on this medication. green foods have vitamin k which interact negatively with my medication. so no lettuce, broccoli, spinach, avocado... etc. I hate it and makes it difficult to be healthy. If I did low carb it would be meat alone for the most part. as it stands I eat a lot of carbs, about 50% of my diet If not more so even though ive been under my goal and losing weight, its been slow. so I was wondering if I should keep doing this or consider something else.

It doesn't matter all that much what you eat, but there are some things to consider. You should try to hit your minimum amounts of fat and protein for the day. Here's a good post about how you figure out what those minimums should be:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Other than that, what you eat is personal preference. A lot of people do low carb, but tons of others wouldn't find it manageable long term. Just like some people choose to eat vegetarian and others don't.

ETA: Sorry, incomplete thought. You should also look at your goals, and focus on foods that get you there. I'm all for all foods in moderation if you can. If some foods trigger binges, you may need to step away from them for a while or keep them out of the house. If you can do moderation that's fine.

I'd mostly focus on whole, nutrient dense food for a large portion of your diet. This will give you a large volume of food for the calorie count and will help keep you full. Then, depending on how it fits into your calories, you can work in sweets or treats as you like.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Garbage in Garbage out...

Don't eat out of a trash can. Got it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With 40 pounds left to lose (going by your ticker), 2 pounds per week isn't a very reasonable goal anyway. Try for 1 pound per week. And probably even though you chose 2 pounds per week, since MFP won't let you net less than 1200 calories per day, you're probably not actually set up to lose that much anyway. If you go to your Goals page, it'll tell you what your actual weekly weight loss goal is.

For example...I don't have that much less than you to lose. If I try to set my goal to 2 pounds per week, MFP caps it at 1.5 pound per week. Since I'm just getting back into the swing of things, I set mine up for 1/2 pound per week to be more realistic.

Anyway, back to your question. Yes, technically you can lose weight as long as you eat less calories than your body burns in a day (TDEE). You can eat all Twinkies, or McDonald's or whatever other weird diet you want but you probably won't feel very good and you'll probably be hungry all the time. A good balance of mostly healthy stuff with some goodies sprinkled in tends to be the better approach - often referred to as the 80/20 split (sometimes 90/10). 80% healthy stuff, 20% treats.

If you know low carb won't work for you, it's silly to even try it. Lowering your carb intake can help you feel fuller longer though as foods higher in healthy fats and protein tend to stick to the ribs longer than those high in carbs. You can also try to swap out for lower GI foods, like steel cut oats vs rolled oats or whole grain bread vs white.
  • kickinmom
    kickinmom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Go read some of Dr. Mark Hyman's blogs. He's a functional medicine doctor. A calorie is not a calorie. Look at the (lack of) nutrition in a Twinkie and compare it to the same caloric amount of broccoli. Or fish, or any other natural food. There is no comparison. You can eat them, and you may lose weight eating them, but you are not doing your body any favors by eating empty calories. Your body was made to run on REAL food, not some Frankenfood created in a lab. Just my opinion.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    ^Hyman is a quack

OP it does not sound like low carb would be a good fit for you. Choose a plan that is going to be sustainable.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Garbage in Garbage out...

Don't eat out of a trash can. Got it!

oscar-the-grouch-o.gif
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone. I don't think you're understanding what I meant though. Im not saying to eat twinkies as a diet. Its just to show that it is possible to eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie goal. I was thinking about going low carb but it would be difficult. I take blood thinner medication to prevent stroke and blood clots and I have to take it, not optional. unfortunately I cant eat anything green while on this medication. green foods have vitamin k which interact negatively with my medication. so no lettuce, broccoli, spinach, avocado... etc. I hate it and makes it difficult to be healthy. If I did low carb it would be meat alone for the most part. as it stands I eat a lot of carbs, about 50% of my diet If not more so even though ive been under my goal and losing weight, its been slow. so I was wondering if I should keep doing this or consider something else.

I am on cumadin as well (I assume you are on cumadin or warfarin). You can eat green things (not all of them) in moderation and adjust your dose. You should look into a testing kit for at home. I got one and haven't looked back. I needed to change from warfarin to cumadin because the high doses of warfarin were making me really ill but now the cumadin is working just fine. I am in range. I avoid broccoli, spinach and the likes but have reintroduced kiwis, grapes, romaine lettuce, and a few other things one at a time and am doing well!

As for calories - a deficit is a deficit but not all calories are equal in my eyes. Empty calories are a waste to me.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

You can lose weight eating anything in a calorie deficit - that's just biology.

What you can't do is lose weight 'healthy' just eating anything in a calorie deficit.

Low carb done the right way is about as healthy a diet as you can get, however like all diets (and yes that includes moderation and calorie counting) they all have restrictions and sacrifices to pay.

The trick is to find what sacrifice is least uncomfortable.