So I'm close to my 'happy' weight but body shape doesn't make me happy!

Options

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I want to start weight training but cant go to gym so what can I do? Only got 3kg weights

I shopped around and bought a PowerCage squat rack, barbell, weights, bench -the whole works.. the Powercage I got was only $250 and it is HUGE .. I have it in my garage. You can find barbells, benches and weights through like craigslist for cheap... I haven't seen a power cage on there ever tho (in my area).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sharl_120 wrote: »

Wow! I knew lifting was good, but wow! Definitely listening. Cardio has really helped my asthma so I was reluctant to give it up.
    If cardio has helped your asthma then why give it up? There's nothing that says you can't do both as long as you're doing them for the right reasons. There's just no reason to do excessive amounts of cardio.

I run because I like running and it gives me some extra calories to play with. I lift weights on the days between.
    I want to start weight training but cant go to gym so what can I do? Only got 3kg weights
    Body weight exercises are a great way to start. Do a Google search and you'll find a bunch of them, especially on Youtube.

Resistance bands are a very inexpensive method of strength training and you can often find deals on hand weights in the stores, on Craigslist and at yard sales.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sharl_120 wrote: »

Wow! I knew lifting was good, but wow! Definitely listening. Cardio has really helped my asthma so I was reluctant to give it up.
    If cardio has helped your asthma then why give it up? There's nothing that says you can't do both as long as you're doing them for the right reasons. There's just no reason to do excessive amounts of cardio.

I run because I like running and it gives me some extra calories to play with. I lift weights on the days between.

yup.,. and there are many who do both... I just hate cardio so it isn't for me LOL so I don't do it (much except as a warm up).. but that is MY choice and how I choose to do it... you can easily do cardio for 30 min then strength train for another 30 - 60min 3x a week and be good to go..
  • Sharl_120
    Sharl_120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ah okay cool! Yay! I can do both!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    I can't see that at work so maybe one of the lifting gals can answer :) I got my power cage off something I located researching.. I will see if I can find it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    clf1284 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weight training
    I'm in the same boat and this was the answer I was sure to find. I absolutely hate any form of strength exercises. I will do cardio all day long. But despise strength. I guess I will just have to put on my big girl panties and get over it and do it anyway

lol. big girl panties...don't lift in them. Quite constricting.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    clf1284 wrote: »
    Weight training
    I'm in the same boat and this was the answer I was sure to find. I absolutely hate any form of strength exercises. I will do cardio all day long. But despise strength. I guess I will just have to put on my big girl panties and get over it and do it anyway

hahaha I am the opposite.. despise cardio with every fiber of my body...

Same. I can't stand cardio and only do it against my will. At the most I'll do 10 minutes on the elliptical and then I'm done and I'm off to the free weights and barbells. Lifting heavy is my happy place :D

Same here. Today I actually gave up on my cardio, and did not feel guilty.
  • CEGrant501
    CEGrant501 Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    look into 5x5, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman...

eat at maintenance and lift heavy ...

Agreed. I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for about 3 weeks now. I ditched the scale, so I can't tell you how much weight I've lost, but I've dumped 1.5 inches from my waist and half an inch from each thigh already.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Cardio sucks. :p
  • arditarose
    Options
    CEGrant501 wrote: »

Agreed. I've been doing New Rules of Lifting for Women for about 3 weeks now. I ditched the scale, so I can't tell you how much weight I've lost, but I've dumped 1.5 inches from my waist and half an inch from each thigh already.

Nice progress. Just 3 weeks..awesome.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Weight training

Flawless first response is flawless.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love me some cardio a few times a week but strength training/weight lifting is what gets the real results.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I digress... I think I have to start weight training. I've only got 4kgs left to my goal weight. I'll be 132lbs and 5"8. I seriously doubt I'm going to lose my belly with so little to lose :(
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Weight training....like everyone else has said.

This is my second go at weight loss (post-baby). The first time I lost 90 lbs and got down to 135lbs, using only cardio, no weight training at all. Even though I was very slender, I was not happy with my body.

Now I'm at 148lbs but my body is completely different/ better although I still have some work to do. I'm not a heavy lifter like some of the ladies on this site, but I can definitely see the major difference with weight training.
  • CEGrant501
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I was surprised too! Especially since I get to eat at maintenance, which means 1850 cal on rest days, 2089 on lifting days. It's so liberating.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I was surprised too! Especially since I get to eat at maintenance, which means 1850 cal on rest days, 2089 on lifting days. It's so liberating.

Interesting. I never trusted the nutition/eating portion of that book. I was always like-no way, I'm gonna lift on my deficit.
  • CEGrant501
    CEGrant501 Posts: 15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well, judging by your pic you are much further along than I am. So perhaps you are at a more advanced stage of training? I was a true beginner (still am!). I know that lots of lifters have incredibly complex eating protocols, but they are, like you, more advanced. I figured since I didn't have any base knowledge to work with, I would stick to the program for the the first phase (about 8 weeks), and then reassess.