Avocado opinions

Options

Replies

• Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Can you eat the thing in the middle or no?
  • unlikelyathlete
    unlikelyathlete Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    NOMNOMNOM. Yes. Avocados are yummy and definitely fit into a diet. But ummm, Jimmy, I hope you're kidding about the pit.
  • clf1284
    clf1284 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    amphilion wrote: »
    Crack an egg into half an avocado, 15-20 min in the oven at 350, amazing breakfast

That's it. I'm buying more avocado after work and I am making that for breakfast in the morning!

Also, I didn't realize they freeze well. Good to know!
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you only eat half how do you keep the other half from turning brown?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

If I put the pit back in, and then store it in a ziploc baggie with the air removed, it will keep in the fridge for a day or two without turning brown.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

If I put the pit back in, and then store it in a ziploc baggie with the air removed, it will keep in the fridge for a day or two without turning brown.

Yup same but I use plastic wrap.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This works even better if you squeeze a lemon on it. I always eat half at a time and have had no problems.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    What you take the middle thing out do you put stuff in it and cook it?
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat one for breakfast everyday, I scrape out a bigger hole (the flesh I scrape out goes into my smoothie) crack an egg in each and bake, YUMMY.

I have been wanting to try that. I am doing to have to now.

I eat them fairly regularly. Several times a week at least- love smashing it only toasts or salads. As long as you fit them into your over all plan, go for it. Lots of great nutrients in avocados!

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Can you eat the thing in the middle or no?

No
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Jimmyftw94 wrote: »
    What you take the middle thing out do you put stuff in it and cook it?

Yes Jimmy, go ahead and cook it...

200.gif

Throw that away. It's just a seed. If you want, get yourself an organic avocado and try to grow your own avocado tree using the pit.
  • musicismylover
    musicismylover Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    twenty nine cents! that is insanity and i am very jealous. i agree with others--just work them into your calories/macros. my favorite is on toast and crackers with salt, pepper, and sriracha. i'll typically eat 1/2 in a day.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    twenty nine cents! that is insanity and i am very jealous. i agree with others--just work them into your calories/macros. my favorite is on toast and crackers with salt, pepper, and sriracha. i'll typically eat 1/2 in a day.

I think a lot of stores only import and sell the Hass variety which is the most expensive. Here in Cali we have all different kinds of avocados and some are very cheap. Bug your grocer -I think the smaller cheaper ones are called 'fuerte".
    (But if it makes you feel better, having sampled many of them, the Hass are in fact the most delicious.)

http://www.californiaavocado.com/avocado-varieties

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's not the variety, it's the location.

Avocados don't grow in Quebec. Our climate isn't conducive to them. They grow in hot sunny places like California and Mexico, but it costs a lot of money to store and ship and transport them from there to here. As a result, avocados are expensive here.

Things that grow here -- apples, zucchini, etc. -- are much cheaper here.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Avocados don't grow in Quebec. Our climate isn't conducive to them. They grow in hot sunny places like California and Mexico, but it costs a lot of money to store and ship and transport them from there to here. As a result, avocados are expensive here.

I thought some had posted that they were getting cheap avos in their stores who weren't down south? If not, my mistake.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I thought some had posted that they were getting cheap avos in their stores who weren't down south? If not, my mistake.

It was me who has avocados for 29 cents this week and I'm in Kansas, so they're definitely being shipped to us here, too. Probably easier to get them to us than to Quebec, though.

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Mmmm avocado. Definitely a must have except I'm the only one who likes them in my family.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i eat them at least 5 times a week
  • AmandaLipphardt
    AmandaLipphardt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat them every day? :)
    Its delish. I could put it on everything. I normally eat it with my salad every day and I just don't have the salad dressing. Way more tasty
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    When I find them for $0.49 @ Aldi, I eat them daily.

This.

Not daily but pretty close. When those Aldi avocados are lookin' good & feelin' fine my husband and I split one 3-4 days a week. Mmmm