Cycling

Options
Walking is my main form of exercising, but I'm starting C25K, and I want to start cycling to cross train on off days. I haven't been on a bike for probably over ten years. I got myself on a bike and went on a brief trip up and down my street to see how it was. It was very hard for me! I rode for less than 1 mile (from one corner to the other on my street) and I was already panting very hard, my heart was racing, and my quads were killing me.

Is this normal? I am 5'5 and 240, so very overweight, but still I've been physically active on a regular basis and doing weight training for 5 weeks now. I don't expect to be able to ride 30 miles in one day from the very beginning, but even at my heaviest and most out of shape, I could easily walk 15 minutes, and I can't even bike for 5 without having to stop and take a break!

Any advice for someone who's a pure noob to cycling? Consider me as someone who just barely took the training wheels off, so any advice, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi, Autumn! I love cycling. I do it for recreation but would love to be one of those people who do tours and rides for 100s of miles.

What you experienced is totally normal. That same experience is what started my weightloss journey back in september. But just add that it was a charity ride, I was dead last and being trailed by the SAG car and people kept asking me if I was okay and/or if I really was intending on riding 30 miles! It was humiliating!!!

Anyway... I digress. It takes almost no time for you to get used to riding. I think it's a matter of using muscles that you haven't used in a while. When I started riding again (in adulthood) I hated hills. After a month or so, I looked forward to them. I think cycling is one activity you can get away with when you're overweight. I also was 240lbs in September and I'm 5'8". What you might want to do is find some flat terrain to ride on. If you can take your bike (by car) to a flat trail or park, you can practice there. You can practice going up hills. If you can't make it the whole way, then just go halfway and turn around. Eventually you will make it up the whole hill. I also read that you should never look at the end of the hill. Mentally, it's defeating. Just look a little in front of your bike and keep pedaling. The great thing about biking outdoors is that you sometime pedal and sometimes you don't have to. So you are able to get some rest. Are you adept at using your gears? They can be a life-saver. Don't be shy about using them when you need them.

Add me as a friend soI can observe your biking escapades. It's cold here so I have to ride my bike on a trainer. I'm practicing for that 30-mile challenge I bombed. It's in Sept. 2015. I cannot wait to be 100lbs lighter than Sept. 2014 and obliterate that course!
  • astrose00
    Options
    Also, did you get fitted for your bike? Find a good local bike shop to do a fitting, if you haven't already. It really makes a difference. The seat and handlebar heights/position really impact how efficiently and comfortably you are able to ride.

FYI, I started out riding maybe 5 miles on mostly flat road (one steep hill at the end that I learned to look forward to...) and I've ridden over 40 miles several times. Another thing is making sure you are eating for the activity you are performing. It'll be a little tough if you are in weightloss mode so I'm not sure how to advise you on that. Riding on an empty stomach or without food that give you sustained energy (like oatmeal, for example) can be a miserable experience. And then it doens't matter how experienced or in shape you are. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches have also worked for me if I eat right before a ride. But that wouldn't fit into my diet right now.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to stop hijacking your post but a comment about your quads hurting... that's normal but I'm thinking you need a fitting because a lot of your pedaling should be coming from your glutes. That has to do with the position of your body on the bike. What kind of bike is it? Meaning, what style? Hybrid, road, mountain, comfort?
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Take it slow; 30 miles a day would be impressive for a well-conditioned rider. I'd suggest buying a trainer so you can ride indoors. A heart rate monitor would also be a huge plus. Low gears, i.e. 1 - 4, are going to be best for losing weight. If you keep your heart rate around 140 - 160 beats per minute you will be in your ideal "fat burning" range; with your stats I expect this would be around 12 - 14 MPH. The more data you have, the better.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice astrose00, and can I just say your dog is really cute? I do have a bike shop nearby, so I'll probably stop in and see them with my bike to get fitted. As for what kind of bike I'm using, I don't rightly know. This is the bike I'm using:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Admiral-Women-s-Hybrid-Bike-Powder-Blue/26999382

Thanks to Justin too! I do have a hrm, but it only seems to work about half the time. My first ride said I went .73 miles and was at 8.8 mph. My bike has 7 gears, and I don't know how to use any of them. I think it's in 6th gear now, so next time I ride, I'll shift down and see if that feels better.
  • astrose00
    edited January 2015
    Options
    He's my baby!!! He's a total tyrant and brat but I love him so!

It's a hybrid which just a less rugged version of a mountain bike. I have one also. It's great for riding on paved and lightly unpaved surfaces. Perfect. Do you have 7 on the right side and 3 on the other? Or just 7 in total? That would be unusual. I don't know all the terminology but on both sides, the lower the numbers the easier it is to pedal. But the more you have to pedal to cover the same distance. If you are going downhill, you can increase the gears. If you are going up a hill and feel you have to push too hard to make the pedals move, definitely lower the gears. For starters, maybe try 2 on the left and 3 or 4 on the right. Be careful with "1" on the left, though. If you aren't going up a steep enough hill, you will look like the RoadRunner cartoon character! I think the right side (the one with the 7 levels) is the one you should look to adjust first.

Good luck!!!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    It only has 7 total gears. It says 7 on the right hand side, with nothing beside a hand brake on the left side. My last bike was a cheap mountain bike that was really uncomfortable, and I never rode it until it was in such bad shape it became scrap metal. I was hoping that a more cruiser-type bike would be more comfortable for me.

I use MapMyRun to log my rides, so if you use that too, add me as a friend, my username there is DeeAutumn.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm wondering if you were in too hard of a gear. Your chain should be on the biggest ring in the back. I think.

http://totalwomenscycling.com/road-cycling/technique/technique-how-to-use-your-gears-efficiently-9497/#Zz5Ycmm40K7Soz6Q.97
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is normal. Even highly conditioned athletes can struggle when switching to a new sport/activity.

As for getting started... stick with the bike you've got, maybe have your local bike shop (LBS) give it a once over to make sure it's in good working order. Make sure you have (and wear) a helmet. Then just go ride. Start off easy... short, slow rides based on your ability. You'll get better with time.

Beyond that, a decent pair of bike shorts and/or some saddle cream can be good buys, but it's really a matter of need/preference. If you're happy riding without them, then great!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    Question, do you recommend I do a little every day, or like any other new thing, give myself rest days between efforts? Also, I found that my backside was sore the next day, even though I rode for less than 5 minutes. Is that something else that will get better over time?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Do whatever you feel up to. If you ride today and feel good tomorrow, no reason not to ride if you want.

To some extent, the soreness will get better as your body gets used to being on a bike. But that's where the bike shorts and saddle cream can help.
  • jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I'm wondering if you were in too hard of a gear. Your chain should be on the biggest ring in the back. I think.

http://totalwomenscycling.com/road-cycling/technique/technique-how-to-use-your-gears-efficiently-9497/#Zz5Ycmm40K7Soz6Q.97

Correct.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Started riding early in my weight loss journey (at 260lb), and stuck with it as I took off pounds (did about 400 miles/month in the last half year now that I'm down to 170).

It'll take a bit to build up your leg strength and speed, but you should be fine to start out with some short neighborhood rides and build up your mileage from there. Spin classes at the gym can also be fun.

For fit, you roughly want your seat at a height where if you pedal using your heels, your leg will be fully extended at the bottom of your stroke (don't normally pedal with your heels, but it is a good way to check seat height). You may also want to slide your seat forward or back to a point where your elbows are slightly bent, and if you look at your handlebars, they roughly overlap with the middle of your wheel (if you have a traditional road bike).

Otherwise, there isn't too much you'd do with your handlebar height on that type of bike/position. Most full ($100) bike shop fittings are oriented towards racers, but bringing the bike in for a tune up/inspection, and getting some input on seat height can help at first.

For gears, I'd try to find the best gear where you can comfortably spin at about a revolution per second. Most racers are most efficient at 80-100rpm, but with a larger frame/thighs, you'll get a fair bit of efficient power at 60rpm.

Also, seek out any nice flat paved paths/rail trails nearby, as the scenery will keep you motivated, or find some friends to ride with. Usually I don't worry too much about hydration/power bars unless I'm going for over an hour.

You may also want to set a goal and join the monthly bicycle challenge discussion board here once you figure out your goals.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice astrose00, and can I just say your dog is really cute? I do have a bike shop nearby, so I'll probably stop in and see them with my bike to get fitted. As for what kind of bike I'm using, I don't rightly know. This is the bike I'm using:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/700c-Schwinn-Admiral-Women-s-Hybrid-Bike-Powder-Blue/26999382

Thanks to Justin too! I do have a hrm, but it only seems to work about half the time. My first ride said I went .73 miles and was at 8.8 mph. My bike has 7 gears, and I don't know how to use any of them. I think it's in 6th gear now, so next time I ride, I'll shift down and see if that feels better.

It's the gears.

Have someone around you show you how to work them (never at a stop, never looking down at them).

It will make your life easy. I've ridden with someone your weight over 400 kms in a week, so take your time, learn your machine and it's gonna be great b
  • astrose00
    Options
    Ditto on the gear instructions. When I first started my chain would come off the ring because I wasn't holding the gear shift until the chain successfully moved. Wound up with black gook all over my hands on a few occasions.

Biking is so much fun. I'm sorry I didn't rediscover it sooner. As a teen I used my bike to commute to work (McDonalds) and was in great shape despite the burgers and fries.

Local bike shop (LBS) is essential in my opinion because I have found that bikes that come from big box stores (and are put together by the associates there) are usually not put together well. LBS will make sure all is well and even tune it up.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I just did my second ride on the bike. I shifted to a lower gear and it was a lot easier. I think I'm now in 3rd gear. I'll probably continue to shift downward on my next ride. I was still winded after only five minutes, but I could tell I wasn't working as hard. Still having burning in the muscles just above my knees. And the pain in my backside went from a 4/10 to a 9/10 (10 being the worst), so I think I definitely need to develope butt calluses or whatever. I'll take a couple days off and come back to it. At this point, it's not my legs or the effort that will keep me from going tomorrow, but my butt.

It's all about that base.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I definitely think you have to break in the seat. Meaning, you booty will get used to it. Google (or ask someone that knows how to explain) where your "sit bones" are. That is what should be in contact with the saddle. It definitely makes it more comfy but I think you still have to get used to it. Again, the fitting will also help with that. But google or ask around here.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    I know what the sit bones are... on animals. I'm going to school for vet tech, so I am fairly well based on animal anatomy. I guess I'll have to brush up on human anatomy!
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It's possible that the seat post might need an adjustment. Find a gear that would be the easiest to spin in without your knees bouncing too much. Don't worry about far or long you go, my first ride was 3 miles and I thought I would not finish it. That was 12 years, 20 century rides and 35000 miles ago.
  • astrose00
    Options
    bigd66218 wrote: »
    It's possible that the seat post might need an adjustment. Find a gear that would be the easiest to spin in without your knees bouncing too much. Don't worry about far or long you go, my first ride was 3 miles and I thought I would not finish it. That was 12 years, 20 century rides and 35000 miles ago.

I want to do that!!!