WOMEN*** heavy lifting questions

Options
ok...im not going to go too much into my past but i will start by saying i have been lifting for close to a year. i started off with a PT to help me with my form and the other basics but have since been doing it on my own. i don't really follow a "program" per-say but i do have a schedule...
i alternate tri-weekly light(2x20/30sets) reg(3x10/12sets) and heavy(5x5)
each week i do chest/back, shoulders/arms, and finally legs.
now everyone has their own opinions and what not, im completely aware of this. but im also aware of the fact that throughout this process i am always learning and trying to change it up...i guess im at that point now. im thinking i would possibly like to try a new weightlifting program/schedule of sorts. anyone have any favorites? something easy to follow? let me know :) and if you could explain a bit about why you liked it and how you came across it that would be lovely! thanks so much for any feedback!
-Kelsey

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Weight training is not gender specific. FYI.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Starting strength, strong lifts, and new rules of lifting will be the most common suggestions, but there are zillions of programs out there. Do some reading for yourself, then let your goals, preferences, schedule and ability dictate the right program(s) for you.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I agree with both previous posters. I often train with my BF and the only thing that changes is the amount of the weights. I currently mix it up, high rep, low rep, super sets. speed. I'm a fan of bodybuilding.com for workout ideas also.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Are you stalled out on 5x5, or just looking for something new? Wendler 5/3/1 is well thought of as an intermediate program if you're trying to break through a stall.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Well- My first thought honestly is Wendlers or Sheiko beg 1 and/or 2.
    But my second thought- are you trying to get straight up stronger- or do more definition?

Because if you are happy doign splits- go over to BB.com and get one of their programs- it'll be more of a split like you're doing now.

If you want to get stronger: do wendlers- greyskull or sheiko beg 1 or 2.

I skipped sheiko 1- I'm by no means a beginner- but I wanted to get a better idea of how he starts his lifters- so even after doing some shieko programs- I dropped back to Sheiko beginner 2- which is making me happy- even as an intermediate lifter.

You can always do one of the beginner programs and see what it gets you- I've been lifting all my life and I still consider doing it. I haven't yet - but it's not off the table- I'd stall way faster than a brand new person- but it's worth a look see to do a real program.

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    What about re-visiting with your trainer for some suggestions? I've only been doing heavy lifting (well, heavy...that may be too generous, but I'm getting there :) ) with a trainer for a couple months, so this is just thinking out loud. My trainer shakes up my routine alot--I rarely do the same thing every day beyond the primary compound lifts, because he is continually evaluating where my weak spots are on my lifts, and putting me through various accessory exercises to target those weak spots.

If you're at a point that you're ready for a change, maybe see if a personal trainer could do the following over a session or two: 1) watch your main compound lifts and check for form, your current weight load, and weak spots that may be holding you back from your potential; and 2) running you through some new/different accessory exercises that target those weaker spots. And then go from there.

Just a thought.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Are you stalled out on 5x5, or just looking for something new? Wendler 5/3/1 is well thought of as an intermediate program if you're trying to break through a stall.

I'm doing Wendlers now. I was also doing my own routine/something put together by a trainer. I wanted to get stronger and had been doing a 4 day split so I preferred 5/3/1 to a really beginner program. I'm still getting the hang of the assistance routine I prefer but I really love this program. Super easy to follow.
  • ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    im aware...however im interested in what women have to say. nothing against the fellas.

• ktaylor1188
    ktaylor1188 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thank you for the feedback. i will look into them.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Lot's of programs and for every program you'll find a woman who loves it. You gotta find what suits you. Sounds hokey, I know, but it's true. It depends on time, goals, equipment, blahblah

I've gone New Rules of Lifting for Women (starts fine and then gets...complicated) Strong lifts 5*5 (good. Made great progress) and Strong Curves (as my goals shifted and I found SC suited those goals)
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was doing a 5x5 but just started the Strong Curves program to switch it up. I doing the 12 week beginner program but there are several other programs to follow, as well as a ton of alternate exercises.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    im aware...however im interested in what women have to say. nothing against the fellas.

Well- I"m a woman- and I'm saying the same thing... and they are going to say the same thing if they know their salt.

Ultimately training isn't gender specific and ultimately there is no right or wrong answer- pick a goal- find a program that meets that goal and train for it.

that applies to both genders and of any age.
  • getstrongkaylen
    getstrongkaylen Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I follow this. Every 4 weeks, you decrease the reps. The idea is your suppose to lift heavier every time, and eventually the heavier you lift, the less reps you do. There is a full 3 month plan. I also don't follow the supplements and stuff but I do follow the cardio they have.

lrslvrrmzlxq.jpg

Here's the website: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I was doing pretty much the same routine, until I started reading various women's fitness mags geared toward lifting (Muscle & Fitness Hers, Oxygen and a new one I discovered today: Strong. Once you get past all of the supplement ads, they have a lot of different routines that I have incorporated into my own. I'm sure the same stuff that's in the magazine is probably on the website. I like having a varied routine that way I know I won't get bored.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I will say that many of the non-woman specified programs I've looked at assume that the reader is male...and occasionally will make certain recommendations that may be good for male beginners but out of reach for just about all female beginners. (Anything that starts you out with pullups, for example)

But, generally speaking, muscles are muscles. Unless we are talking about Kegels.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, i train Westside conjugate.
  • KimberlyPD9
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
    This is my favorite workout to follow and the I think the article is excellent. It's what I was using before I tore my ACL. It's nothing earth shattering, it's all basic stuff, but might be a nice switch from your current routine
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have followed this program recently, and liked it so much, I went 3 months straight with it...and will repeat right after I get through a dumb minor knee injury...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-training.html

I train at home, IMO the exercise lineup is uncomplicated, does not contain any fancy machines, has lots of solid compound lifts, and my body gets enough recovery time with the 4 day split.
    The workouts have many supersets, which are not intended for the pursuit of significant PRs. You can add weight, when you feel comfortable, but you would mainly be training to failure at last set/last rep of the supersets, by chosing a lighter weight for the individual lifts.
    The split strictly separates muscle groups, and 'big' whole-body lifts, like deadlifts are not part of the program. In my experience, this is to avoid exhausting too many muscle groups at one time, and it will allow sufficient recovery after the very demanding supersets.
    Erin's shoulders are sort of a 'calling card', and if you like the visual of a small waist/hourglass figure you will enjoy the focus on upper body workouts. The one leg day is plenty, in many ways....ouch.... =)
    The posted exercise lineup is a bit different than the videos. I recommend watching the videos, though. The whole thing gets a lot less intimidating, after you hear her version, and see her doing the workouts.
    The exercises are demanding, and you should aim for the prescibed reps/set. (Adjust weights if in doubt...) The program will likely not work, if you skip exercises, or if you don't try to work up to at least a few reps of things like pushups. Also, it won't get you anywhere, if you try to mix-n-match this with another program. This was set for 4 weeks, and after 12 weeks straight, I can say, give it all, and it will show progress for any level of experience.

Good luck and happy lifting!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I will say that many of the non-woman specified programs I've looked at assume that the reader is male...and occasionally will make certain recommendations that may be good for male beginners but out of reach for just about all female beginners. (Anything that starts you out with pullups, for example)

But, generally speaking, muscles are muscles. Unless we are talking about Kegels.
    You would be surprised at how many men can't do a pullup. It took me forever to do one good pullup and now I can get maybe 10 on my first set. The advice is sound for men and women and both can use assistance bands or machines or even negatives to start.
  • christylynn622
    christylynn622 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    I have followed this program recently, and liked it so much, I went 3 months straight with it...and will repeat right after I get through a dumb minor knee injury...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/erin-stern-elite-body-4-week-fitness-trainer-training.html

I train at home, IMO the exercise lineup is uncomplicated, does not contain any fancy machines, has lots of solid compound lifts, and my body gets enough recovery time with the 4 day split.
    The workouts have many supersets, which are not intended for the pursuit of significant PRs. You can add weight, when you feel comfortable, but you would mainly be training to failure at last set/last rep of the supersets, by chosing a lighter weight for the individual lifts.
    The split strictly separates muscle groups, and 'big' whole-body lifts, like deadlifts are not part of the program. In my experience, this is to avoid exhausting too many muscle groups at one time, and it will allow sufficient recovery after the very demanding supersets.
    Erin's shoulders are sort of a 'calling card', and if you like the visual of a small waist/hourglass figure you will enjoy the focus on upper body workouts. The one leg day is plenty, in many ways....ouch.... =)
    The posted exercise lineup is a bit different than the videos. I recommend watching the videos, though. The whole thing gets a lot less intimidating, after you hear her version, and see her doing the workouts.
    The exercises are demanding, and you should aim for the prescibed reps/set. (Adjust weights if in doubt...) The program will likely not work, if you skip exercises, or if you don't try to work up to at least a few reps of things like pushups. Also, it won't get you anywhere, if you try to mix-n-match this with another program. This was set for 4 weeks, and after 12 weeks straight, I can say, give it all, and it will show progress for any level of experience.

Good luck and happy lifting!

I also am doing Erin Stern's program. I'm in my 4th week and have been enjoying it. However, I did add deadlifts and leg presses to my leg day yesterday just because I enjoy them. I will be hurting today for sure. I agree this is a great program and easy to follow. I took h7463's recommendation and viewed the videos instead of relying on the website's exercise guide and this helped as they slightly vary. I'd recommend you try this program.