One year of logging and 50+lbs gone. Lots of pics!!

Options
Well here I am 365 days of logging on MFP under my (shrinking) belt. I’ll attempt to make this concise, accurate, and funny… cause I’m always working on my stand up routine (lingering coping mechanism for when I was much fatter? who knows).

TL;DR: I was obese for most of my adult life, now I’m 50.6lbs lighter after 1 year of MFP and Fitbit tracking.

Pre MFP pics
20130428_zps0f52e18d.jpg
20131113_zps0b4de6b4.jpg

Let’s get to the starting stats and before pics!
Female
5’7”
SW: 238 lbs
Neck: 16.5”
Chest: 48”
Arms: 14”
Waist: 47”
Hips: 48”
Thighs: 27”

20140122_zps1c54520c.jpg

I used to say I was ‘husky, chubby, curvy, full figured, blamed my Nordic background, etc.’ my whole adult life. Anything to convince myself I wasn’t fat. It worked! I had confidence, composure and went straight for challenges in life and F anyone that was going to stop me. The only thing I had never challenged myself with was how I treated the vessel my brain rode around in. This is pretty much how I thought of my body! Lol! Like Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with that fleshy, hulking host body. The two pics from 2013 best illustrate this.

20140317_zps331bb219.jpg

But I started to feel fat at 238 lbs; my body and how much space it took up, on public transit seats, in my office chair, and in my clothes. All my clothing had Lycra Spandex added… even jeans… but they were getting tight too. This was going to be expensive and sad to buy all new clothes while having to shop in Plus-sized sections or Plus-sized stores for eternity.

[imh]http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/sombrefawn/20140519_zpse3e40b5b.jpg[/imh]

There was no special ‘aha’ moment for me. The clothes thing wasn’t enough for me to change my ways completely, nor was it my dad telling me he has diabetes due to his weight and lifestyle. What made me change last January was simply getting a smart phone. I know, I know, late to the game. But I had no use for apps, gadgets, etc. as I sit behind a computer all day as a designer (amazing but sedentary career choice) giving me access to the internet at all times and I tend to game on more advanced gaming consoles than cell phones. I liked to completely unplug and go ‘analog’ when out and about. Turns out; this new fangled phone was my portal to a healthier life with adding the MFP app.

20140715_02_zpsa08d3aa7.jpg
20140715_zps39939a3d.jpg
20141022_zpsfc1ccb19.jpg

I got myself a Fitbit Flex and digital kitchen scale in Feb 2014 after scouring the MFP forums for people that had success and managed to be happy. I can’t stress this part enough. Accuracy is your friend and lover. Measure, weigh and log accurately. I’m a numbers person so having tangible data on my caloric burns, and my caloric intake is essential, and in conjunction with MFP, has made this whole process an ongoing success for me.

I mainly just walk for my burns. I had been exercising pretty hard at the beginning and had set a -2 lbs/week caloric deficit, but got burnt out and feared an old back injury would rear its head so I eased up and set to -1.5 lbs/week, and then to finally -1 lb/week. I have plans to get back into boxing with a personal trainer and do a heavy lifting program this year.

Let’s get to the current stats and pics!
I’m still Female
I’m still 5’7”
CW: 187.4 lbs
Neck: 14.8”
Chest: 42.8”
Arms: 11.8”
Waist: 38”
Hips: 43”
Thighs: 22.5”

That’s just over 50lbs lost!

20141105_zps4ded3efb.jpg
20150110_zps55e9efec.jpg

I am also going to add that I’m now merely considered overweight and not obese. Whatever that means. Actually my partner and I used to joke that I was considered obeast. So now it’s almost sad that I can’t call myself that anymore. Almost. Maybe I’ll keep the BEAST part! And 160 lbs sounds like a nice goal weight… let’s go with that for now.

Thank you to all my MFP friends for their support. You guys rock and inspire me to keep going!

Friend requests are welcome.

Here’s a pic of me now.

Xoxo

20150115_zpsbaa54553.jpg

Replies

• mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look wonderful!
  • CBubunator
    Options
    Oh my god! Congratulations! You look amazing! :-)
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. Outstanding job!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Very well done lass!
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you! All of your kind words mean a lot to me. :)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Super job! You look so healthy too.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    You look so much younger now. You're beautiful. Congratulations and keep up the great work. I want your skinny legs. :smile:
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic.. Congrats and Well done for your hard work!

I'm at the start of my journey and this is very inspirational. I will be doing this slow and steady. Again, you look great! I especially love the pic of you on Nov 5 :)
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Great work! Congratulations!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Your rockin' it! CONGRATS!!!!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and inspirational! Also, I love your shoes (the black and white ones) and your eye makeup!
  • sombrefawn
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    You look so much younger now. You're beautiful. Congratulations and keep up the great work. I want your skinny legs. :smile:
    Thank you! I just want my gut to catch up with my skinny legs! lol!

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Wowie! Congratulations! You look great! HUGE difference in your face and waist...and probably everywhere else too.
  • AlaskanFitnessGal
    Options
    Amazing job! You look awesome. :)
  • sombrefawn
    Options
    Wowie! Congratulations! You look great! HUGE difference in your face and waist...and probably everywhere else too.

Thanks! I didn't even realize I had a jawline now until I looked back at old photos where it was chin upon chin.

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    You really look wonderful and I have to say you have a great sense of style (clothes and make-up). Most people stuggle with how to dress the "new" them but you really nailed it. I'm quessing that you work (or are trained) in a design-related profession.
  • wowser5
    wowser5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You actually carried your weight very well at 238 lbs. I would have never guessed that was your weight. You look awesome..congrats on your weightloss!
  • kanittaj
    kanittaj Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WERK IT GIRL!!! You look AMAZING!!!!
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Awesome job...our current weight is almost exactly the same and I am going for 165-155 too. Although my starting weight was MUCH more!

You look great!!! Congratulations girl!
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fantastic!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!