trouble eating all my calories and still be low carb! Help!

Options
I am struggling to eat all my allowed calories, especially on my exercise days. I am a borderline diabetic and have a metabolism that does not do well with high carbs. The carb allowance on MFP for my 1450 calorie diet is way more than I can tolerate and have any weight loss. I have been trying to keep my net carbs about 40 a day. However, it seems to eat things to boost calories they also have more carbs than I want. I eat alot of fish, chicken and pork for protein. I love most vegetables(especially broccoli and cauliflower). I don't eat bread, pasta or anything with white flour. i eat cheese, eggs, bacon and most dairy products. I can eat a meals of protein and veggies and be stuffed, however still not meet my calorie goal. There is not much fruit in my diet because of concern about carbs. Any advice or menu ideas whould be appreciated. I am 43 and have a goal of 50 lb weight loss. I have been at a plateau for 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks

Replies

• linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    nuts and beans/grains like lentils will add a lot of calories without a too many carbs.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Have you tried incorporating sprouted whole grain breads into your diet? 1 slice usually has approx 4-6 grams of protein and the carbs are usually lower than in what I call "fake" bread :) ...you can also pair this with some cheese (another protein) and a veggie. Almonds are great... I would just make sure you are always pairing with a veggie though to make sure you are getting your dark leafy veggies in to keep your body healthy!!!
  • barresa
    barresa Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing your goals in MY HOME, GOALS and changing the ratio to what is more acceptable to you?

Raw Walnuts seem to be the highest in protein without adding too much carbs. Almonds are kind of balanced btw carb and protein so they push the carb #'s.

Tuna is also great for some mega protein, Salmon and Chicken and cheese like Kiri said. So you're on the right track. Beans have protein but more carbs than anything

Clif Builder's bars have 20g of protein and claim to be low glycemic.

a Great Sprouted whole grain bread is Ezekiel 4:9 (Frozen). Great for diabetics (low glycemic!)

protein shakes are also a good filler with like 18g. You can add yogurt and water with just one fruit like peaches (not so bad for diabetics) for like 300 cals. Try to get one without sugar and add stevia.
    Garden of Life (RAW with Sprouted grains Protein shake) is great and organic.
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    protein is the best choice for not having to much carbs. i myself struggles. but i realize having more protein then carbs have helped me lower my carbs a bit. i used to eat about 200+ grams a day. now its around 200 or less which is better than 200 + so im still working on it. but still feel better having more protein.

hope this helps a bit.