The human body is so weird... Advice please : )

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I wouldn't sync your fitbit to MFP. Use MFP for food/exercise/calorie logging and FitBit for steps. FitBit gives way too many "exercise calories burned". I strictly log only true exercise calories as a burn. Hope that makes sense.

Lots of people have had success connectingb fitbit and MFP however the tracker (and the websites) are just tools that only work as well as the person using them allows them to work.

I would think then, that the successful users are deleting the fitbit "exercise burns'' from their MFP diaries.

Nope

Exercise logged on MFP overwrites fitbit steps during that time period ....at least it does when you set the time zones the same ...I log my HRM reads for workouts and am still losing regularly at a low cut so it must be close to accurate
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't sync your fitbit to MFP. Use MFP for food/exercise/calorie logging and FitBit for steps. FitBit gives way too many "exercise calories burned". I strictly log only true exercise calories as a burn. Hope that makes sense.

Lots of people have had success connectingb fitbit and MFP however the tracker (and the websites) are just tools that only work as well as the person using them allows them to work.

I would think then, that the successful users are deleting the fitbit "exercise burns'' from their MFP diaries.

Nope. Lost my weight without editing/deleting a single activity tracker calorie.

If I didn't trust it to do its job I wouldn't use it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    So I think I have hit a plateau... I have been the same weight for almost a month now and I bloody don't know why? I am working out and eating healthy... I even decreased my alcohol consumption. Any ideas on how I can jump start my weight loss again? I was thinking of doing a small detox ( like 3 days) to help reset my metabolism. Thoughts?

So. Much. Wrong. Here.
    <boggle>

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I disconnected my fitbit - the burns were so inaccurate I ended up slowly gaining weight. Fitbit is a tool-a glorified pedometer I would just manually log your steps accomplished in your exercise notes not eat back those calories
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doens't need a reset and detoxes are a joke.

If you've stalled, did you adjust your calories for a new lower weight?
    Are you being entirely accurate with logging food> As in, weighing everything and finding correct entries?
    When you log your workouts, are you logging the calorie burns from here (often too high), or changing them for yourself?

Yes I accurately log my workouts...I have a Fitbit

You've double entered step based activities and your treadmill burns look high. The strength totals look high as well.

If you want to waste time, money, and effort on a detox ... that's up to you, but they do nothing productive. I'd recommend double checking your burns and going from there.

• BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    If you are using your fitbit for calories burned and letting it flow here, be sure that mfp is set up for your BMR only... If you have MFP set up to assume a certain amount of exercise (i.e. lightly active or higher) then it already includes SOME exercise, and you are double counting it.

Set MFP to sedentary and your goal to maintain your weight. The idea is that at the end of the day, your goal on MFP with exercise should match your fitbit total calories burned. For example, yesterday MFP says your goal was 2,510 calories. What did your fitbit say? It should have said 2510 calories or very close (after midnight - end of day only). That is your maintenance, so just aim to eat 500+ under the goal every day. Dont use the built in mfp stuff, it just confuses things with the fitbit.

ETA: Looks like I set this up for a different reason. Everyone below is correct I am sure. I think I did this because I wanted to start with my BMR as a minimum or something... I didnt want any credit until I got to my BMR or something. Whatever - my weirdness - ignore this.

Thank you for your help. ☺️☺️
  • BrownEyedBetty
    Options
    So I think I have hit a plateau... I have been the same weight for almost a month now and I bloody don't know why? I am working out and eating healthy... I even decreased my alcohol consumption. Any ideas on how I can jump start my weight loss again? I was thinking of doing a small detox ( like 3 days) to help reset my metabolism. Thoughts?

So. Much. Wrong. Here.
    <boggle>

That doesn't help me... I need advice, that's why I made this post.
  • BrownEyedBetty
    Options

Are you being entirely accurate with logging food> As in, weighing everything and finding correct entries?
    When you log your workouts, are you logging the calorie burns from here (often too high), or changing them for yourself?

You've double entered step based activities and your treadmill burns look high. The strength totals look high as well.

If you want to waste time, money, and effort on a detox ... that's up to you, but they do nothing productive. I'd recommend double checking your burns and going from there.
    Thank you, will do.
  • BrownEyedBetty
    Options
    I disconnected my fitbit - the burns were so inaccurate I ended up slowly gaining weight. Fitbit is a tool-a glorified pedometer I would just manually log your steps accomplished in your exercise notes not eat back those calories

Thank you. I'm going to try that because before my Fitbit it was much easier.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers are almost as optimistic as MFP in logging your workouts. The best way to track a workout is with ah HRM.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The numbers you have for your exercise burns are...optimistic.

She's logging her calorie burn (which is from the treadmill and pretty high) as well as getting a fit bit adjustment. I don't have a fitbit, but it seems like she's getting double credit for a single workout.

OP: Saturday, Sunday and Monday don't look accurate. You need to log accurately every day.

I do have a fitbit and I believe you've found the problem. Double credit.

but if you allow negative adjustments this won't happen. So if she has it set up that way it should be okay.

This confused me for a really long time so I will spell it out. If fitbit thinks I burned 2000 calories today including a run, and MFP thinks that run burned 500 cals and I log it in MFP, MFP will project that I will burn 2500 calories today. If negative fitbit adjustments are allowed it will automatically add an adjustment of -500 on MFP to take my cals back down to the overall 2000 that fitbit says I burned. Does that make any sense?

As long as you have allowed negative calorie adjustments your workouts will NOT get double counted.
  • Daiako
    Options

She's logging her calorie burn (which is from the treadmill and pretty high) as well as getting a fit bit adjustment. I don't have a fitbit, but it seems like she's getting double credit for a single workout.

OP: Saturday, Sunday and Monday don't look accurate. You need to log accurately every day.

but if you allow negative adjustments this won't happen. So if she has it set up that way it should be okay.

This confused me for a really long time so I will spell it out. If fitbit thinks I burned 2000 calories today including a run, and MFP thinks that run burned 500 cals and I log it in MFP, MFP will project that I will burn 2500 calories today. If negative fitbit adjustments are allowed it will automatically add an adjustment of -500 on MFP to take my cals back down to the overall 2000 that fitbit says I burned. Does that make any sense?

As long as you have allowed negative calorie adjustments your workouts will NOT get double counted.

It makes sense, yes, but she clearly doesn't have negative adjustment set up, as evidenced by her large number of exercise calories.

With that in mind my suggestion is: stop logging the workouts or enable negative adjustment. Either will work (I myself do negative adjustment and don't log exercise calories. That's just me tho)
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Didn't read everything so forgive if this has already been mentioned. Have u reaccessed your calories in mfp? As you've shrunk your calorie amt should too
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Yes I have changed my caloric intake for my new weight.

Yes I accurately log..My food scale is awesome : )

Are these accurate:

1Serving of a milkshake? What's a "serving" of a milkshake?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-12

592 calories? Hummus, coffee and a soup?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-11

858 calories?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-10

790 calories? A salad and a quest bar?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-03

1010 calories? A salad and a pizza?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-01

It also looks like you go out to eat fairly regularly. Calorie counts of restaurant foods aren't always accurate. They don't measure exactly how much cheese or sauce or butter they put into things. If you really want to see the scale move you may have to skip eating out for a while and make sure you really are being accurate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Yes I have changed my caloric intake for my new weight.

Yes I accurately log..My food scale is awesome : )

Are these accurate:

1Serving of a milkshake? What's a "serving" of a milkshake?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-12

592 calories? Hummus, coffee and a soup?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-11

858 calories?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-10

790 calories? A salad and a quest bar?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-03

1010 calories? A salad and a pizza?
    myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/BrownEyedBetty?date=2015-01-01

It also looks like you go out to eat fairly regularly. Calorie counts of restaurant foods aren't always accurate. They don't measure exactly how much cheese or sauce or butter they put into things. If you really want to see the scale move you may have to skip eating out for a while and make sure you really are being accurate.

BAM! This woman knows^^^
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm day 3 into the 8 hour diet where you only eat in one 8 hour window each day. I don't know if it really has the fat burning advantage proponents say, but it's helping me stay around my goal, so that will be a bonus.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

If you log on MFP and give the correct starting time and duration of a step based exercise, Fitbit does not give you double credit. It still counts the steps, but assumes that the steps you took during the exercise are included in the exercise that was logged and defers to MFP.

• Daiako
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

If you log on MFP and give the correct starting time and duration of a step based exercise, Fitbit does not give you double credit. It still counts the steps, but assumes that the steps you took during the exercise are included in the exercise that was logged and defers to MFP.

Not always. If you don't have negative calorie adjustment setup it just adds without shifting.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It makes sense, yes, but she clearly doesn't have negative adjustment set up, as evidenced by her large number of exercise calories.

With that in mind my suggestion is: stop logging the workouts or enable negative adjustment. Either will work (I myself do negative adjustment and don't log exercise calories. That's just me tho)

I don't have my negative adjustment set up and I do not get double credit. The key is to log step based exercise into either MFP or Fitbit ( never both!) and be accurate about starting time and duration. Fitbit does not give step calories burned credit for a logged exercise, only steps taken outside of logged exercise.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I personally think that for many people MFP+exercise calories+fitbit adjustment is just too many things that could go wrong. If she has a fairly consistent exercise routine and her activity level doesn't vary much from week to week I would suggest she try a few weeks of just a flat rate intake and ignore all the rest of the data. No idea her height or weight, but my guesses on her statistics put a nice deficit for her at around 2000 calories a day.

I really just think that she's not being accurate anyway, which doesn't help the situation. No idea how calories in compare to calories out.