Can't eat below maintenance

Options
I'm having a really hard time eating below maintenance. I try, but then in one day I ate all the deficits I'd made during the week. I know I need to loose some weight so it can't be that my body doesn't need to. Now that I'm exercising more, my appetite has gone up!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women. All I know to tell you is to stop eating. That's what I do.
  • littlelatina19
    littlelatina19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was common in women, thought it was just either gender. I guess I'm gonna just have to try harder then. Gonna go and buy lots of fruit tomorrow, see if I can stuff myself with that instead.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was common in women, thought it was just either gender. I guess I'm gonna just have to try harder then. Gonna go and buy lots of fruit tomorrow, see if I can stuff myself with that instead.

Make sure you're getting enough fat and protein... Fruit just isn't filling for me. How big a deficit are you aiming for?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women. All I know to tell you is to stop eating. That's what I do.

What men don't get hungry when they exercise???? I have a humungo friends list that will tell you you're wrong!
    OP, can you open your diary?
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Exercise definitely made me more hungry as well. I try to make my calories "count" and eat high protein, sometimes high fat foods that satiate for longer. Definitely makes me think twice about snacking on things like chips that keep me satisfied for all of 4 seconds
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

What men don't get hungry when they exercise???? I have a humungo friends list that will tell you you're wrong!

What I read in a magazine article recently, and my own experience has been, is that men tend to feel like eating less after exercise.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    I wouldn't say that Tim was necessarily wrong. I know that exercise suppresses my appetite but that may not be true for everyone. It's an individual experience and should not be generalized.
  • changefulal
    changefulal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat a hell of a lot more after exercising !
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

What I read in a magazine article recently, and my own experience has been, is that men tend to feel like eating less after exercise.

I am usually less hungry straight after exercise, but the next day I could gnaw my own arm off!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set at? Are you hitting your macros??
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Don't believe everything you read. ;)

Blanket statements are silly. Some people are hungrier with exercise, some are not.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

But what you said was "That's what happens when you exercise, at least with women". What a broad brush you use to paint this picture. Women who exercise a lot CAN become hungry, because we are wired to preserve body fat for childbearing. This does NOT mean men don't get hungry after exercise. As a matter of fact, there are men at my gym who exercise 5 days a week and they are busting it on the cardio and weights, yet remain very overweight. Is that because they're not eating????? ahhh science says they are!
  • littlelatina19
    littlelatina19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My maintence with the exercise I'm doing now should be around 2200 calories; I was trying to eat between 1600-1900 and I managed it for 3 days but then I ate back the deficit within 2 days. I don't think lack of fat is the problem because I always seem to eat a lot of it :/ fruit does fill me up, but it makes me so bloated, so I avoid eating more than a couple pieces a day usually. I'd rather loose weight and be bloated for a few days though to be honest.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

False.

Quit reading weekly world news.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just incase you aren't, don't forget to eat back exercise calories! If you're eating at a deficit and have added working out without eating more to compensate you'd definitely be hungrier.
    If that doesn't work, try sticking with filling low calories foods. Candy bars and the like taste nice, but a few bites can make up a lot of your days intake. Veg, meat fish and fruit can be filling for not too many calories, but it changes person to person - I know people that could eat veg without it filling them up at all, but if I have a plate I'm done for the next few hours. Just find what fills you up and stick with it, and if you've eaten all you can today but are still hungry try drinking something - hunger and thirst often get confused
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your maintenance is calculated correctly? If you're exercising, your maintenance will be higher than if you're not exercising...but for whatever reason, *kitten* loads of people on MFP don't understand that concept.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary so I can make some specific suggestions?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you sure your maintenance is calculated correctly? If you're exercising, your maintenance will be higher than if you're not exercising...but for whatever reason, *kitten* loads of people on MFP don't understand that concept.

Yep.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    You say you're exercising and that's making you hungrier, but when is it making you hungrier. Planning out when to eat/exercise can really help control the hunger issues. I know I get super hungry about half an hour after working out, regardless of how much I've eaten the rest of the day. When that happens, it's really hard to resist gorging even though I know I don't need the food.

There are ways to combat this though. Option 1 is to eat right before a meal (and I mean right, because if I even just shower then I'm ready to eat everything). Option 2 is to eat something small and carb-heavy right before I work out. Usually I'll have an orange or maybe a 100-calorie granola bar. Then by the time I'm done, my body has some quick-use energy it can draw on.

So, if being hungry right after exercising is the problem, then give one of those two things a try. If you've just got the general problem of you're hungrier throughout the day when you exercise, then you probably need more fat/protein in your diet.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

stop reading cosmo.