Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    In...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit and you can eat anything you already like. I like the 80-20 approach...80% whole foods, 20% not so whole foods ('junk'). It's great because I never feel deprived. I'm not focusing on macros right now because I'm just losing weight, but when I get closer to goal, I'll ramp up the macro counting.

I've lost nearly 10 pounds so far, so I think it's working. :)

this…

I lost 50 pounds ten years ago and have kept it off….been cutting/bulking/maintaining ever since..

I would say the NUMBER ONE thing is that you have to learn that there are no bad foods and you do not need to restrict sugar,carbs, etc to lose weight….< unless of course you have a medical condition that would make you sensitive to said food group..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dcavazos wrote: »
    @NoelFigart1‌ point taken but it can't hurt to see what those who have found success have done. Although I do agree that all of our body make ups are different and what will work for some may not work for me.

actually eating in a calorie deficit works for everyone….

any other diet/method/etc is just a tool to put you in said calorie deficit..

CICO
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options

Friend Request Sent

A friend request to dcavazos has been sent.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I agree with that really colorful post up there. Best diet for me is eating lots of fruits and vegetables and eggs so I can save up for calorie-dense foods that are more worthwhile to me. Best diet for you may vary. Just get used to counting calories and your best way will fall into place.

• ndj1979
    Options
    The Keep it Simple Diet:

Find a reasonable calorie deficit
    Log food accurately and honestly
    Learn moderation, portion control and to have patience
    Find an activity you like to do

i would just add get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything..
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    IIFYM/Bodybuilding diet is working well for me, but everyone is different. I have been overweight my entire life. I finally realized in the last couple of years that my body is particularly carb sensitive. Flour and sugar stimulate my appetite and leave me always hungry. I aim for roughly 35/35/30 macros and try to get most of my carbs from vegetables. Cutting out wheat and reducing sugar intake has been a gradual process for me over the last year and a half, but it has made a huge difference. I eat roughly 1750 calories a day to achieve slow, but hopefully lasting weight loss. Some people think IIFYM is an excuse to eat whatever you want, but I find that in order to meet my macro and calorie goals and keep track of things, I need to choose healthy, often whole food options.

My husband eats a primarily vegan diet, but adds omega-3 rich fish twice a week. He eats this way primarily to keep his cholesterol in check. Everyone is different, which is why I think we have so much conflicting information about what is good for us.
  • mommyof2boys562
    Options
    There is no such thing as a diet unless your looking at short term results.

There are 2 things you have to do to lose weight...EAT LESS MOVE MORE. It's actually really simple.

I eat anything I want...I don't ever tell myself I CAN'T have something. What I do ask myself is "does this food make my body feel good and will It help me in my new lifestyle?"...fast food does not make me feel good. Eating McDonald's, taco bell, del taco or any one of the plethora of fast food places I know are not healthy...so why put that in my body. So for me, who at my heaviest was having fast food once or more a day, I had to cut out fast food....it was my choice and because of that I've had no problem not eating it. Now when I want fast food I will do Subway or Chipotle or even IN N OUT but it's not often and I try to be aware of what I'm eating.

I love chocolate, I love pastries and I know my control is limited so I don't buy the stuff for my house often. If I want it I'll have a dessert when I go out to eat or I'll buy it but only a serving or 2...I'm a binge eater and I know if a cake is sitting on my counter there is a 50 50 chance I'll eat it all. Know your triggers. Know what needs to be purged from your diet and know what needs to be minimized.

There is no set guideline that works for everyone...you have to know yourself and do what's best for you. Fast food, junk food, soda, over eating, under eating, not moving are just a few things that I can guarantee aren't good for anybody so start there...eliminate what you can and minimize what you can't eliminate yet.

I lose just about 10lbs a month. From July til October that was what I was losing by watching my food and calories and exercising. November and December I didn't lose anything...I gained a pound. I stopped watching my eating, stopped counting my calories and was eating out a lot and having a lot of sweets....but I was exercising and because of that I didn't gain more. That told me very clearly I have to watch my food in take and I have to exercise...if I want too lose weight I can't do one or the other I have to do both. Chances are, so do you.

So here is the big diet secret....EAT LESS MOVE MORE.

• rcottonrph1
    Options
    I agree with "don't overhaul too much too fast". Eat foods you want and work on making your calorie goal. Try to slowly incorporate more fruits and veggies. Slowly phase out processed foods like soda, chips, etc and find healthier replacements that you enjoy. Opt for leaner cuts of meat. Drink more water. An all or nothing mentality sets you up to binge and fail hard.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would also side with the general opinion here and state – a diet that you feel comfortable with and that fits with the lifestyle you want.

For instance, I grew up on a diet based on a traditional mediterranean diet – lots of grains, lots of veggies, moderate fish and little meat. I have the luck that it is a diet that is vastly considered one of the healthiest out there with little to no dispute, so thus far, I have never had to even consider changing a diet plan.

However, after starting to seriously exercise and learn more about fitness, I realised that if I wanted to really "bulk" (as much as possible for a woman), I would not be able to do it eating like I am now. Regardless of how healthy the Med Diet may be – I would need to adapt my eating habits to include more protein.

So, does that mean I would switch to a high protein, low carb diet or even Paleo? Nope. I would not feel comfortable with them. That is just not me. Probably I'd find a way to eat more fish – tuna and sardines are not that expensive, after all. Include more eggs and include a larger steak every once in a while. :)

The only thing I'd personally recommend is make a diet choice that does not restrict whole food groups. Almost always they prove to either be difficult to sustain or lacking in certain nutrients.

Besides, food is too amazing and life comes with way too many hurdles to deprive yourself from yummy yummy products.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the best one for YOU. Everyone is different and has different needs. Some people need special diets though due to existing conditions or health risks. I will say try to get a lot of veggies and fruits daily and good fats. This will help your body work at its optimal level. Additionally, limit red meats and dairy as they are linked to lots of disease and health problems. Try to limit yourself on highly processed foods too. And I know someone with out any health education will come in here and say the contrary, all because someone else told them this wasn't true. Read some actual evidence-based studies instead of parroting info you read or heard on a blog or from an unqualified person. Looking good on the outside does not equal healthy. PERIOD. Also, it is OK to have a treat once in awhile. Small bowl of ice cream, a small piece of cake, 2 slices of pizza etc once a week or less often is alright. However, if you are the type of person with little self-control/willpower you have to be more careful.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    dcavazos wrote: »
    I guess what I want to know is for those of you who have lost weight and maintained do you have any information on what is the right diet for a healthy life?

Step 1 - define what "healthy life" means for YOU.

IMO a huge part of people's problems is they want bodies that aren't consistent with their activity level. Someone living the typical bed-to-car-to-chair-to-car-to-bed lifestyle so typical in the US can put on a LOT of weight before their body is incompatible with their lifestyle. So if you are highly sedentary, it's going to be hard to keep the weight off because you are going to be constantly fighting your own body, which frankly speaking, doesn't need to shed the pounds based on the lifestyle.

I think an awful lot of people are going about this completely backwards. Figure out the lifestyle you want first...

This is really good advice.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the concept of developing an eating lifestyle that never requires dieting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    The one that you can maintain for the rest of your life.

/thread
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The one that you don't even know you're on.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    The one that you don't even know you're on.
    B)

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I took the OP's question to be not about "diet" in the sense of "short-term plan that I will follow until I have lost weight, then abandon," but rather, about "diet" in the sense of "normal way of eating." It's the difference between the South Beach Diet and the Mediterranean diet.

If there's a capital letter on "Diet," it's probably the first kind.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Start with the count your calories diet.

NEVER eat something you don't like, as that will not sustain you.

Learn portion control.

Make sure you do some sort of strength training.

Stay active.
    I don't think it can be put much better than this.
  • mommyof2boys562
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

I took the OP's question to be not about "diet" in the sense of "short-term plan that I will follow until I have lost weight, then abandon," but rather, about "diet" in the sense of "normal way of eating." It's the difference between the South Beach Diet and the Mediterranean diet.

If there's a capital letter on "Diet," it's probably the first kind.

I just assumed diet was in regards to a actual planned diet since she mentioned a lot of different ones in her post.
  • dcavazos
    dcavazos Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @sing809‌ @FatFreeFrolicking‌ @JoseCastaneda‌

Ok I looked into the IIFYM calculator and it is giving me an astronomically large amount of calories to meet even when I set it to "aggressively lose weight"....

Any thoughts on the # of calories it advises you to eat? Honestly I have my calories set to 1800 (i have been tested and my BMR is about 2,000) and I never make my calories. And this thing wants me to eat 1950 calories?