How do you log cooking spray?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm starting to think I should just quick add 10 calories or something every time I use it...

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Scan the bar code? But I don't use so much that it would add up to anything.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you are logging on here type in whatever cooking spray you are using and generally the stats are done by how many seconds that you spray it.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. I think it's silly to log something that menial.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you use. If you do it for 1 second like the bottle says then don't bother but if you don't then you can quickly get tsp to a tablespoon of oil. Just type in the product name and it should come up?
    me personally i would just log it as like 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil or whatever and call it done.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The kind i use is in the database and i log it by guessing however long i think i sprayed it. I use it often enough that every little bit will eventually add up.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well the problem is that they are supposedly 0 calories for 1/3 second spray, but who uses 1/3 second spray? And how many calories are in a, say, 1 second spray?

I hate those '0 calories' things. Impossible to find the real calorie content when you use more than serving.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I tried the spray, but hated it, now I'm back to old fashioned oil in bottle and measuring spoon.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This definitely qualifies as overthinking it. /nod
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I just don't log it. I've considered putting the pan on my scale, spraying, and logging it by weight, but the problem is that when I use it I'm spraying it on a hot pan -- it burns if I spray it in a cold pan and then heat it. I do use more than a fraction of a second's worth and I know it has calories, but I'm usually running an extra deficit and so I figure the extra 10 or 20 calories won't do me much harm (until I lose a lot and have a smaller deficit, anyway).
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm asking because I have a small deficit overall, lol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm asking because I have a small deficit overall, lol.

This would be considered cutting it too close. /nod
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Um
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    This definitely qualifies as overthinking it. /nod

This. Or every time you use it just walk a lap around your kitchen while the pan is heating up.

• RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well the problem is that they are supposedly 0 calories for 1/3 second spray, but who uses 1/3 second spray? And how many calories are in a, say, 1 second spray?

I hate those '0 calories' things. Impossible to find the real calorie content when you use more than serving.

I read on this website that a 1 second spray has about 7 calories.

http://www.eatouteatwell.com/if-cooking-spray-is-made-with-oil-how-can-it-be-calorie-free/
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I dont
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't like these sprays. In cases where I need the pan well oiled but do not want much actual oil in it I just use a bit of measured oil and smear it around the whole pan with a paper tissue or a pastry brush. I think you can log a spray as 1/2 a teaspoon of oil as stated above.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you have a small deficit overall I'd say put the pan on the scale, spray, and log by weight. If there isn't a database entry for the spray by weight, look at the ingredients and log it as whatever kind of oil the first ingredient is.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    This is like asking if you should wear more sunscreen in your neighbour's yard than in yours because she lives on the south side of the street. As other's have said, don't over think it. It's an insignificant amount. It's all an estimation anyway.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, but I have a large deficit. If my deficit was small, I'd probably do a quick-add like you're considering doing.
    I spray my pan for several seconds. I can't count to 1/3 of a second so I don't know how I'm supposed to know how to measure 1/3 of a second.