I am feeling overwhelmed and need some advice.

Options
So, my resolution this year is to lose weight that I've gained over the past couple of years (about 80lbs or so.) However, I got really gungho for the first few weeks of the month and now I'm feeling burned out.

I'm overwhelmed and to be honest I don't know where to begin for long term weight loss, I know how to eat healthy, I'm lost on exercise, and I have trouble with binge eating, which I can't seem to get over.

Any advice is more than welcome. I just don't know where to even start. :(

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Start small. I have about the same amount to loose and my first goal is 10% of my current weight. Also, taking one habit at a time works- so pick a habit- like water instead of soda- and then work on that for four weeks before trying to add a new habit. Don't try everything at once!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    ^^great advice right there. Start by logging your normal food. When I first started MFP I was convinced I ate healthy and not that much so it had to be my thyroid causing problems. Color me shocked to see that while what I was eating was fairly healthy, I was eating ALOT of it!

Once you see what your "normal" eating is, look at where it might be easier to cut some things.

Don't give up something that you don't intend to give up forever. Saying you will never eat chocolate is setting yourself up for failure. (Unless you're allergic or hate it-then, never mind).
  • michelle_816
    michelle_816 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you have the eating down, I strongly encourage you to start out just logging. At first, do it without worrying about calories but more for the knowledge of knowing what you are putting into your body. Then slowly start making changes in your diet to meet your calorie goals on MFP.

If you find an exercise you enjoy, by all means, do it! But for weight loss, it all has to do with calories in vs calories out.

Good luck to you!!!
  • tkenny479
    tkenny479 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do know the feelings of overwhelming..the guilt the shame of being weak in something as easy is what I eat. The long term goal and the impatience of slow results. the sheer u can't attitude. Well you can do anything you set your mind to.might sound silly but
    Talk to yourself I do it all the time. Start reminding yourself of things youve accomplished in your life and how much effort, strength and determination you were able to spark up.and usually it was for someone else. Find that inner fire its time for you
    it working for me.I've got a long haul too.one day at a time each day feels better than yesterday...best of luck.

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've found helpful so far:
    Drinking lots of water
    Logging and measuring everything - it allows me treats as long as they fit within my goal
    Reading the serving size and calories on everything - helps me avoid some things that aren't worth the calories
    Alternating my exercise so I don't get bored
    Patience - the weight didn't appear overnight, it's not going to disappear overnight

I usually give up on diets after a few days, but I don't feel restricted or hungry at all, this calorie counting has been great for me and I plan on sticking with it.
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Kramrn77 said about one habit at a time.

I started with my diet coke addiction. I still have it but, I now drink water until lunch time and then I am allowed to switch over.

I slowly incorporated 20 minutes of walking during coffee breaks at work every day.

Now that those 2 things are pretty much habits - I'm working on not visiting the candy machine in the afternoon for a pick me up and instead bringing my own sweet snack for the afternoon.

Another thing to remember is tomorrow is a new day. When I don't drink my water in the morning or I'm not able to walk I don't beat myself up - life will happen. I just tell myself that tomorrow I will do better.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It's been a week for me as well and it is very overwhelming! I took the advice to start by logging everything. Well, I have been doing that-everything. I am shocked at the amount of calories I'm consuming in a 24 hr period. I never ever eat after dinner so I figured I'd be golden-NOPE. I set my mind that I would just log for a week. Now that I've done that, I have to work on revamping my choices. I'm going to work on drinking my water this week, and make changes on where I went wrong last week.

Usually I try to do it all in week one and by week 2 I'm done. Hopefully this time will be different if we take baby steps. Tons of support here so good luck. You're not alone
  • FullofSuccess
    FullofSuccess Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't get to overwhelmed. I read an article, because I'm just starting myself (55lbs to loose), and I did not want to feel so bad or discouraged that I gave up. Set reasonable goals. If you loose half pound a week, that's 26 pounds a year. It took a long time for you to put the weight on and it's going to take a long time to take it off and keep it off. Feel free to add me. I'm a great motivator. I'm just starting back myself, but I have my coworkers and family involved. We're doing this together.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you haven't yet read community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1, I suggest that you start there. Lots of good advice.
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try Dietbet! It is great at motivating you toward realistic small goals and over time the difference adds up. I've lost 24 lbs since I started it and 27 lbs overall. When I started (in September) I was overwhelmed at what I needed to lose too, but now here I am at the half way point and I couldn't be happier with my progress.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    So, my resolution this year is to lose weight that I've gained over the past couple of years (about 80lbs or so.) However, I got really gungho for the first few weeks of the month and now I'm feeling burned out. I'm overwhelmed and to be honest I don't know where to begin for long term weight loss, I know how to eat healthy, I'm lost on exercise, and I have trouble with binge eating, which I can't seem to get over. Any advice is more than welcome. I just don't know where to even start. :(

In a snapshot:

I needed to close to 200 pounds. Multiple health issues; Couldn’t climb 1 flight of stairs without difficulty; Walking 20 feet was hard. Failed at all attempts (only lasted a few months on “diets.”

Game Plan:

First - Designed my own intake program…with no gimmicks. I needed food that provided lean protein, vegetables/fruits and healthy fats…but within my caloric target range. I allowed for condiments, a nightly snack (mostly pre-measured) 5-calorie Jello cup, 100-calorie popcorn bag, 90-calorie Fiber Bar,45-calorie yogurt etc.
    -
    Second – Allotted calories utilizing a “banking” mentality and made “withdrawals” throughout the day – once the “money” (calories) were spent…they were gone. I did not give myself a “line-of-credit.” I allowed for no “cheating” per se; as everything was going to be logged and accounted for.

Next – Exercise. There was no way I was in shape to do just about any exercise and I knew trying to change all aspects at once would lead to failure; boredom and discouragement. I consciously decided to NOT exercise until I had at least 10-15% weight loss and adjusted to my new lifestyle eating. That didn’t take long and soon I was exercising 2-3 times a week – if you call walking 10 minutes at 2 mph exercising. Slowly over the months I increased time/speed and now shoot for 40 minutes at a moderate pace 5 times a week.

Here is a photo of my Saturday morning breakfast today:

20150117_080339_breakfast_blank_zpsbd0e95a6.jpg

As noted in one Mayo Clinic article:

“Despite all the diet strategies out there, weight management still comes down to the calories you take in versus those you burn off. Fad diets may promise you that avoiding carbs or eating a mountain of grapefruit is the secret to weight loss, but it's really all about calories.”

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065?pg=2

Without exaggeration – I have almost (less than a dozen times in over a year) felt super hungry. I am fully satisfied 99% of the time. I know myself and my strengths/weaknesses.

Obviously there are numerous “techniques” I utilize – but this gives you a quick look and perhaps some of it will be of interest.

Good Luck!

73641431.png

• cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I find I binge when I deprive myself of things so I have everything in moderation not as a special treat as long as I'm within my calories
  • I carry my lunchbox everywhere and I keep a variety of snacks in it. I made this my first habit. If I leave the house, I grab my lunchbox and ice water bottle. I also carry my water bottle everywhere. This helps me not to grab food on the go, and I'll pick a snack. I don't get bored because I have five or so things to choose.
    One of my biggest addictions was Starbucks. I keep creamer in my backpack too in case I cave, I can have a small coffee but no white mocha. My creamer only.
    I love this program.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    You have been giving good advice here. :)

I felt overwhelmed at first because there's so much information, mis-information, etc. I printed out the "eatwell plate" and stuck it on the fridge. I started logging all the food and made small changes one at time. I added other users and they have been so supportive. I also recently added a mentor and read success stories everyday because they push me to do better! :)

The eatwell place

What does 100 calories looks like?

Eating Well booklet, by the British Heart Foundation
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Do what you love

Like swimming? Do it!
    Walking/running/jogging
    bike rides
    have kids? Do some fun activities outside with them
    play games on wii-fit or other game consoles
    TRY SOMETHING NEW

binge eating - get healthier options that won't make you feel bad
  • Nazy_Ak
    Nazy_Ak Posts: 164 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @attemptingfierce‌ I really like some of the advice given here and will also use it for myself. Small changes, thinking long term and just taking it a step at a time. I'm focusing on logging all food, everything in moderation with the exception of fast food and not allowing others to push me into eating/drinking things I don't want to. You can do this one step at a time :)

@nikonpal that is so inspiring! I have approx 100lbs to lose. Thank you for sharing. Aslo, that food looks delicious!
  • csvcsvcsv
    Options
    Sorry to read that you are overwhelmed.
    Your diet is a journey that we are all on - but keep thinking about your goal and why you are on a diet. I would also recommend that you log onto www.bbc.co.uk/right diet to identify what kind of eater you are. What an eye opener lots of hopeful tips and it is working for me. It would also be useful for you to keep a diary of what event happened to make you binge you may then be able to control the situation better next time.
  • ctleonard9
    ctleonard9 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Attemptingfierce,

Thanks for putting your post out there. I read some tried and true weight loss methods and some new ones in the responses to your thread.
    I need to lose ~70 pounds.

First I want to say, give yourself acknowledgement that you are here :) to learn to live and eat healthier.
    I had success losing weight counting calories and logging them to keep track and gained it back because I stopped. I don't remember why I stopped, but I am back to daily food and exercise logging and I am on target to meet my 10% goal this month..
    I agree with:
    10% weight loss goal to start off. Then incremental goals that are realistic.
    log all you eat and drink.
    drink the water at least 8 cups daily (makes a big difference for me on the scale)
    group support ( this time I got my boyfriend into the MFP AP and he loves it because for the first time he can actually see what and how muck food / beverage he is putting into his body). So we are supporting each other just as we support each other on this site.

Most of all, do not forget to praise yourself for the good you do/accomplish and if you binge or fall off the wagon get right back up. We can start our day over any time.
    Like it was said, I did not get here over night so we need to pace ourselves for the long haul to a leaner healthier me.
    Best, Catherine
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Start off by logging consistently. When I first started i was totally shocked how much I was actually eating! You will probably be surprised too. Calories add up super quickly! After that, start making little changes. Like, exercising even 20 minutes a day a few times a week, then start making cut backs in your calorie intake and you will eventually get there! Baby steps! If you make all these drastic changes over night, you will not be able to stick to this. I know from experience too. :)
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Nazy_Ak wrote: »
    @attemptingfierce‌ I really like some of the advice given here and will also use it for myself. Small changes, thinking long term and just taking it a step at a time. I'm focusing on logging all food, everything in moderation with the exception of fast food and not allowing others to push me into eating/drinking things I don't want to. You can do this one step at a time :)

@nikonpal that is so inspiring! I have approx 100lbs to lose. Thank you for sharing. Also, that food looks delicious!

Wishing you all the best. Looks like you have a great game plan and know what you need to do. I have known 2 people recently that went for surgery (I did not); one looks to have benefited but the other person weighs even more now because the habits never changed (drinking/chicken wings etc. on a weekly basis); Once you break the habits each week/month actually becomes easier.