2»

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    h7463 wrote: »
    I started NROL4W yesterday and had the same issues with the Smith machine. I don't think my form was right, so it HURT my shoulders. However, my gym doesn't have barbells. So I am really better off with dumbbells on my shoulders or goblets than the Smith if I don't have a bar? Has anyone completed NROL4W with just dumbbells? I feel like I may progress faster than the dumbbells that are available, and I'm not in a position to change my gym membership right now.
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress, you just have to explore the different variations of squats that are possible with them. Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....

why would you not put them on your shoulders? how is that more significantly dangerous than a barbell?
    Hahahahahahahahaha.......well, if you can demonstrate how to do this in a safe way with a 45 lbs dumbbell on each shoulder, than I will respectfully bow before you....lol.
    Personally, I think I'd have a bit of a balance problem, getting my butt off the ground on this.... =)
  • h7463
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    You know what might be ideal
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress,

Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....

I don't know how holding DB's up to your shoulders in somewhat of a Front Squat position is more dangerous than a barbell in the front squat or back squat position. DB squats are not as effect as barbell squats, they are quite different. Not to say that they don't have their use but the Squat activates so much of one's body that it's hard to compare to anything else.

BSS's are a definite challenge and not a bad compliment to a strength-training program.
    It's all a matter of the available equipment. Planet Fitness anyone...? Rather than having to be in line for the only squat rack forever, I'm not afraid to improvise. Of course, the 'big' lifts also lift some of the EGOs, but just for s!ts and giggles, tell me how your legs feel after a few sets of walking lunges with two 45 lbs (just to throw out a number here...) dumbbells or Bulgarian split squats..... Ya think it'll stimulate some gainz....? I would certainly say so....

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress,

I don't know how holding DB's up to your shoulders in somewhat of a Front Squat position is more dangerous than a barbell in the front squat or back squat position. DB squats are not as effect as barbell squats, they are quite different. Not to say that they don't have their use but the Squat activates so much of one's body that it's hard to compare to anything else.

BSS's are a definite challenge and not a bad compliment to a strength-training program.
    It's all a matter of the available equipment. Planet Fitness anyone...? Rather than having to be in line for the only squat rack forever, I'm not afraid to improvise. Of course, the 'big' lifts also lift some of the EGOs, but just for s!ts and giggles, tell me how your legs feel after a few sets of walking lunges with two 45 lbs (just to throw out a number here...) dumbbells or Bulgarian split squats..... Ya think it'll stimulate some gainz....? I would certainly say so....

For sure, equipment limitations definitely call for the best available exercise with the available equipment. Walking Lunges can be nasty for sure. My only point was that if you look at movements / exercises holistically, the Squat has the best singular transfer for improvement in athleticism and basic functionality. If the equipment is available to Squat and one is capable of correctly performing it, then Squat; if not then find something else. BSS's and Lunges are all fine alternatives in those situations. One could even do something where they have a day where they Squat heavy (e.g. 85% 1RM for 5x3) and then a day where they do something like BSS's for 3x12 and maybe a couple other unilateral exercises.
  • h7463
    Options

For sure, equipment limitations definitely call for the best available exercise with the available equipment. Walking Lunges can be nasty for sure. My only point was that if you look at movements / exercises holistically, the Squat has the best singular transfer for improvement in athleticism and basic functionality. If the equipment is available to Squat and one is capable of correctly performing it, then Squat; if not then find something else. BSS's and Lunges are all fine alternatives in those situations. One could even do something where they have a day where they Squat heavy (e.g. 85% 1RM for 5x3) and then a day where they do something like BSS's for 3x12 and maybe a couple other unilateral exercises.
    Yep...I do understand your post, and I didn't say that I disagree.... However, this is about reading the posts and answering the questions, and if you read the posts in question again, then issue of equipment limitations applies in both cases. And this is why I shared my experience. I train at home, and for me, it's the same thing. My personal little squat setup works, but I can only safely put 100 lbs on the bar... I do have dumbbells that I can safely hold on my sides, and I will use them on any effective exercise possible. I did my homework, and I don't have a problem with my training....neither do my quads and glutes...... =)

• wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback and information, everyone! OP, sorry I highjacked your post to diss Planet Fitness. :D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I started NROL4W yesterday and had the same issues with the Smith machine. I don't think my form was right, so it HURT my shoulders. However, my gym doesn't have barbells. So I am really better off with dumbbells on my shoulders or goblets than the Smith if I don't have a bar? Has anyone completed NROL4W with just dumbbells? I feel like I may progress faster than the dumbbells that are available, and I'm not in a position to change my gym membership right now.
    You don't put the dumbbells on your shoulders. That's way too dangerous! You hold them on your sides. They are just as effective as barbell squats, and they won't slow down your progress, you just have to explore the different variations of squats that are possible with them. Look up Bulgarian Split squats, e.g. ..they are a real challenge....

why would you not put them on your shoulders? how is that more significantly dangerous than a barbell?
    Hahahahahahahahaha.......well, if you can demonstrate how to do this in a safe way with a 45 lbs dumbbell on each shoulder, than I will respectfully bow before you....lol.
    Personally, I think I'd have a bit of a balance problem, getting my butt off the ground on this.... =)
    pick up- put on shoulder.

shrug- balance can be improved if you so chose- outside of neorlogical issues- it's a skill that can be improved upon with regular work.

I get more out of my BSS with shoulder DB's than holding them b/c my grip gives out long before my legs do... but that's not to say either way is wrong- I just think saying don't do it b/c its dangerous is incorrect. It really isn't dangerous- it's harder after a point and becomes impractical. impractical =/= dangerous.
  • h7463
    Options

shrug- balance can be improved if you so chose- outside of neorlogical issues- it's a skill that can be improved upon with regular work.

I get more out of my BSS with shoulder DB's than holding them b/c my grip gives out long before my legs do... but that's not to say either way is wrong- I just think saying don't do it b/c its dangerous is incorrect. It really isn't dangerous- it's harder after a point and becomes impractical. impractical =/= dangerous.
    Yeah...I get the picture....lol
    But you'd have to agree, this is a pretty advanced exercise, when you do it this way. It requires a lot of core strength, balance and stability, just to rack any meaningful weights on your shoulders in the first place. I suspect, that you have those skills, following a few of your posts, but I can't assume the same from someone asking the question, like they were posted here.
    The post I responded to, gave reason to assume, that I have a beginner, more or less, in front of me, (who had not flipped through the book to check on variations...), in this case, better safe than sorry.
    I know, you're going heavy, but I have seen wannabe lifters almost tear a rotator cuff, just taking the big dumbbells off the rack...much less getting them through a set without struggle... Keeping weights low during this kind of exercise in a public setting is in fact practical and a lot less trouble, rather than letting things get out of hand...literally... I'd really hate having to break up my set, to call 911 for this kind of mis-lift....
    Happy lifting!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well- I would hope someone new wasn't trying to hoist 45's to their shoulders!!!

Yes- some common sense judgement would hopefully reign over which is the best option for who doing the lifting at the time.
    but I have seen wannabe lifters almost tear a rotator cuff, just taking the big dumbbells off the rack...much less getting them through a set without struggle..

most of me wants to say- tough titties to them for being so stupid... but I suppose that's not nice.

I watched a "trainer" give a young- very out of shape- clearly never worked out kid a 45-50#'s to do supine over head pulls- he was struggling out of the gate- I was so pissed I told the manager- I said- normally I don't bother people about people's business- but this guy is representing you- and he's a bleepity bleep idiot.. I was angry.

So it's a valid point :)