Any nurses on here?

Options
2»

Replies

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I used to work on a tele floor 7p-7a, so I'd eat a real dinner before work then pack a big ol bag of assorted healthy snacks. I knew I wouldn't actually get a lunch break, so the only thing that kept me from subsisting on diet Mt. Dew and gummi bears all night was being able to scarf down something healthy whenever I paused in the nurses station.
    Nobody tell Joint Commission that I kept my snacks next to the tele monitors, k?
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posters; plan ahead and pack some quick, easy healthy snacks as well as a meal. Sometimes you don't have time to sit and eat, so the snacks can be a lifesaver and prevent you from hitting the vending machines, or worse.
    I pack protein bars (Lara bars or Quest bars), cut up veggies (carrots mainly) w/little container of peanut butter, I also like Hummus and pretzels.
  • xcaranicolex
    xcaranicolex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Honestly I bring snacks that add up to the calories I should have, then when I get a few mins here and there I can scarf em down and get back to work. It's very rare that I end up w a proper amount of time to sit and pace myself with a whole meal. I also sometimes make smoothies w protein to have at the nursing station just to keep me feeling full. I find if I don't have quick things it's too easy to start snacking on junk in the break room!
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    When I was on the floor, I put lightly active- gave me some wiggle room with calories but not too much. Now that I am doing home health I dropped it down to sedentary. So yeah.... It all depends on the day.
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Emergency room RN here. I have my activity set on light as that seems to balance out my work and non-work days effectively over the week.

Agreed with the others that say bring a good amount of moderate-calories bites to take when you can. I have a bunch of very small tupperware containers that I'll keep with measured amounts of edamame or what have you that I can grab when needed. So I'll throw a couple different ones in my lunch bag.

Often I'll make a wrap or the like at home and cut it up into four or five finger-food pieces that I can get down in a hurry when I have a minute. Adds up to planned calories in the end.