Is my recipe visible for other users?

Options
Dear MFP comrades!
Could you please clarify, if I create my own recipe in the MFP app, manually edit all the proportions for all ingredients, will this recipe become available for other people using a simple search of food?

Thanks beforehand!

Replies

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    In the recipe calculator it asks if you want to put in database , if you dont it asks if you want to save and it will be there under recipes, so if you make it again you can have it there already and you select recipe and it ask if for today, what meal and how many servings. Its really handy.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Dear MFP comrades!
    Could you please clarify, if I create my own recipe in the MFP app, manually edit all the proportions for all ingredients, will this recipe become available for other people using a simple search of food?

Thanks beforehand!
    I can not find an official MFP response, but no, only you can search and retrieve your recipes from Add Food. I think for legal reasons, MFP has never activated the Recipe sharing function.

If you want to share your recipe with MFP friends, there is a work around.

User1 creates a Recipe and logs it to a Meal.
    User2 opens User1's Diary (shared with public, friends only, or locked with a key)
    User2 clicks Quick Tools and copies User1's Meal to his/her Diary.

From the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/304780-can-i-share-recipes-with-other-users-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11478-can-i-copy-meals-from-my-friends-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/201687-how-do-i-make-my-diary-visible-to-other-users-
  • deejayplaton
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    Dear MFP comrades!

Thanks beforehand!
    I can not find an official MFP response, but no, only you can search and retrieve your recipes from Add Food. I think for legal reasons, MFP has never activated the Recipe sharing function.

If you want to share your recipe with MFP friends, there is a work around.

User1 creates a Recipe and logs it to a Meal.
    User2 opens User1's Diary (shared with public, friends only, or locked with a key)
    User2 clicks Quick Tools and copies User1's Meal to his/her Diary.

From the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/304780-can-i-share-recipes-with-other-users-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11478-can-i-copy-meals-from-my-friends-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/201687-how-do-i-make-my-diary-visible-to-other-users-

Thanks for detailed reply! So, if I understand correctly, my own recipes are not able to be uploaded to a database to be available through simple food search?

What is the way for me to upload my own created food to a database?

Thanks beforehand!
  • deejayplaton
    Options
    In the recipe calculator it asks if you want to put in database , if you dont it asks if you want to save and it will be there under recipes, so if you make it again you can have it there already and you select recipe and it ask if for today, what meal and how many servings. Its really handy.

Unfortunately the recipe calculator in the iOS app doesn't ask me to put my recipe in database. It only saves it locally...(((
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Even when I've been asked (on the website, not the app) to share my recipe in the database accessible to other users, it implies that that's a future feature they're considering, and it wouldn't be immediately available. The one time I tried to do it, it asked for so much additional information (beyond just recipe directions -- information for tagging the recipe in different categories, I think) that I didn't feel like putting in that much time for something that wasn't even active yet.
  • deejayplaton
    Options
    So... let me guess, how did all available recipes and foods got in the database? How created it? I thought it is users created database... 5 000 000 foods - who's work was it then?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    So... let me guess, how did all available recipes and foods got in the database? How created it? I thought it is users created database... 5 000 000 foods - who's work was it then?
    A food item in the MFP Food Database is different than a recipe item in your Recipe Box. I would venture to guess that the majority of MFP users never use the Recipe functions.

Basically a food item is any item you can buy at a grocery store or restaurant and eat or drink. The vast majority of food items were either pre-loaded by MFP from published lists, such as the USDA Foods List, or were added by MFP users from the information found on the Nutrition Facts labels of UPC barcoded food products. As an MFP user, you can choose to use the existing food items, you can edit existing food items, or you can add a new food item to the Food Database.

Recipes are only available to you if you have created your own recipe using the Old Recipe Calculator or the new Recipe Importer. Each recipe you create must have at least two or more food items from the Food Database. When you save your recipe, only you can search for it by its given name and log it directly to your Food Diary. No other MFP user can directly search for or log your recipes (at this time).

For more information, please read through the articles on the topic Food Diary and Food Database on the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455840-food-diary-and-food-database/articles
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    A recipe that you create will be searchable in the database but only by you.

If you add a food to the database and make it available to other users it will be searchable by anyone. But please don't do that. It clutters up the database and it's just as easy for your friend to copy the recipe from your diary to theirs.
  • deejayplaton
    Options
    Many thanks for your clarification! It is really helpful!