I always fail at diets.

Options
Hi...I always fail at diets ...can never reach my goal ...but I never give up. I need to lose 20 or 30 pounds. I lose my motivation after a few days or weeks or at times months. Hope to stick with this to reach my goal

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Same here so I have quit dieting and just working on an eating lifestyle where the weight will self adjust to a healthy point over time and stay that way for life.
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Then don't diet. Change you're whole lifestyle, eat healthier and don't deny yourself that pizza slice once in a while. Set a reasonable calorie goal and make sure you're still in a deficit and you'll sure as he'll lose weight. Think long term :smile:
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Same here so I have quit dieting and just working on an eating lifestyle where the weight will self adjust to a healthy point over time and stay that way for life.

This. Stop thinking of this as a diet. Diets have an end. Think of this as a lifestyle change that you'll have forever.

Figure out why you lose motivation and you'll figure out why your past attempts weren't successful.

• sharonn44
    Options
    yes I have tried that too........but I still do poorly. just takes one or two unhealthy choices and I don't go down.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sharonn44 wrote: »
    Hi...I always fail at diets ...can never reach my goal ...but I never give up. I need to lose 20 or 30 pounds. I lose my motivation after a few days or weeks or at times months. Hope to stick with this to reach my goal

Stop dieting!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Change your mindset.
  • sharonn44
    Options
    fact is exercise doesn't seem to work without strict diet control. I love salads and veggies and fruit.......eat every day. but I also like bread and sugar......so that is where I have to restrict mostly......portion control.....

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    fact is exercise doesn't seem to work without strict diet control. I love salads and veggies and fruit.......eat every day. but I also like bread and sugar......so that is where I have to restrict mostly......portion control.....

If you want it bad enough that is what you will do. *shrug* No one here can make you want it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No, you cant exercise out a bad diet, but a the same time you just need moderation in a calorie deficit, not 'strict control' - life is too short to never eat cake!
  • sharonn44
    Options
    that is a good question. why do I lose my motivation. I still want to be slender. have more energy. less weight to carry up on my hikes and snowshoes. I know I eat for the wrong reasons and not because I am hungry.
  • sharonn44
    Options
    not expecting anyone here to make me want it. just sayin. Here to track my calories and introduce myself .
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You're looking for answers in the wrong places. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. You can do that with a good attitude or a bad one, with motivation or without, exercising or not, eating lots of salads or none. Just decide how many calories you should eat and eat those calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Don't diet, make a lifestyle change.
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    that is a good question. why do I lose my motivation. I still want to be slender. have more energy. less weight to carry up on my hikes and snowshoes. I know I eat for the wrong reasons and not because I am hungry.

Everyone loses motivation now and then. The important thing is to build up routine for those days when the motivation is not there.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Then don't diet. Change you're whole lifestyle, eat healthier and don't deny yourself that pizza slice once in a while. Set a reasonable calorie goal and make sure you're still in a deficit and you'll sure as he'll lose weight. Think long term :smile:

I like this comment! :-)
    Don't think of it as a diet but as a lifestyle change. Lower your calorie intake by just a bit (Check a TDEE calculator and subtract it by 500 for 1 lb loss per week, or subtract it by however you want so long as you're comfortable with it) and exercise a bit more. You don't need to go to the gym and lift 3 hours a day, or only eat celery sticks every single day, cutting off all things they like. That's why most people end up giving up.

Have you heard of the IIFYM/flexibility diet? I won't get into detail but you basically eat what you want so long as it fits your calorie goal. It worked for me! There are times I eat pizza or chips and still lost weight because it fit my calorie goal.

And also, build a routine and keep your eyes on the prize. Feel free to add or message me for support! You can do it. :-)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Don't diet, make a lifestyle change.

ding! and you don't have to give up anything - it is quite freeing :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    How much did you set your goal to lose per week? Maybe you are setting your goal too high/calories too low, and then you feel hungry. Also, its not an all-or nothing approach. If you go over one day, reel it in and stay under the next day. Don't let one or two "bad" choices ruin the whole thing. You can fit in treats and stay within your goals.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    How much did you set your goal to lose per week? Maybe you are setting your goal too high/calories too low, and then you feel hungry. Also, its not an all-or nothing approach. If you go over one day, reel it in and stay under the next day. Don't let one or two "bad" choices ruin the whole thing. You can fit in treats and stay within your goals.

wine.. wine is good... :) if I plan on having something that day I log that first then work around it :)
  • meagsdionne
    meagsdionne Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Been trying to lose the same 15 pounds for 2 1/2 years. I'll start to lose but then back track. Trying yet again! Add me
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Since you have to eat every day I think you're in the right place. By logging my calories and exercise daily I was finally able to shed that last 14#'s. Never dieted, keep active when possible (snowshoeing ... yes!), but find the nonjudgemental reminder when I log in at the end of the day very motivating. If every day were like today you will weigh ____ in 5 weeks.