Heavy breakfast vs. heavy dinner

Options
I recently read a study in which women who had a 700/500/200 breakfast/lunch/dinner format lost noticeably more weight (2.5x more) than those eating 200/500/700 for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Here is the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957

I always thought I should save my calories during the day to "reward" myself with a juicy dinner/ dessert, so this is interesting.

Any experiences?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Having tried both, high-calorie breakfasts lead to high-calorie late night binges. I do better with nothing/very little all day.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've had no issues losing weight not eating breakfast and eating large dinners but it just comes down to what works with you.

The study is flawed for a few reason because the caloric counts were based on self reporting (eg they reported what they had eaten) rather than monitored over a short period of time (only 12 weeks), therefore they're less likely to be accurate. There are also loads of studies that show no correlation between eating breakfast and improved weight management:

Al-Hourani HM, Atoum MF. Body composition, nutrient intake and physical activity patterns in young women during Ramadan. Singapore Med J. (2007)
    Sensi S, Capani F. Chronobiological aspects of weight loss in obesity: effects of different meal timing regimens. Chronobiol Int. (1987)
    Nonino-Borges CB, et al. Influence of meal time on salivary circadian cortisol rhythms and weight loss in obese women. Nutrition. (2007)
    Keim NL, et al. Weight loss is greater with consumption of large morning meals and fat-free mass is preserved with large evening meals in women on a controlled weight reduction regimen. J Nutr. (1997)
    Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity (Silver Spring). (2011)
    Schlundt DG, et al. The role of breakfast in the treatment of obesity: a randomized clinical trial. Am J Clin Nutr. (1992)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat at the time you prefer. I skip breakfast always and lunch sometimes.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I hate large breakfasts. Most of my calories get used up right away, and I have nothing left for when I'm hungry at night. I always skip breakfast and sometimes lunch, and just eat after 3 PM.
  • healthiermeep
    Options
    I don't like breakfast too much myself I think as long as you eat the calories it tells you or less you will lose weight when doesn't matter much. I like brunch a huge meal that is both lunch and breakfast
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I say follow your natural tendencies. I am not a breakfast eater, never have been! Takes me a few hours to want to eat. I tried forcing myself because I "should" and it didn't do anything but make me eat MORE over the course of the day and go over calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Nice to see quite a few people who don't eat until late.
    Most of my calories are eaten after 6 pm and most people I know don't understand how I am not hungry during the day, I am just not.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    shejuicy wrote: »
    I recently read a study in which women who had a 700/500/200 breakfast/lunch/dinner format lost noticeably more weight (2.5x more) than those eating 200/500/700 for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Here is the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957

I always thought I should save my calories during the day to "reward" myself with a juicy dinner/ dessert, so this is interesting.

Any experiences?

As the research shows heavy on breakfast wins side by side. I try to do 700 calories to start the day. That way the glucose load can be burned during the day instead of getting stored at night as I understand the logic.

• ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I was just looking through my diary for curiosity's sake, and I always tend to eat the most at lunch. I guess I'm just living right outside the box, guys!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you! I have found that if I have 700+ cals for breakfast (think fry up - plenty of fat and protein) then I don't need lunch, but I don't have time to make and eat that on a work day!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree with whatever works for you. For me honestly it just really depends on my hormones, lol. On days when I eat more in the morning, I'm more likely to go over, but only because I only eat over 500 calories for breakfast when my hormones are making me hungrier than usual anyway...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I lose weight fastest and feel my best when I skip breakfast entirely, have a small lunch, and enjoy a hearty dinner and plenty of nighttime snacks. This study is poorly designed, poorly reported, and I suspect it began with some pro-breakfast bias. Don't let it trouble you if you prefer a small or nonexistent breakfast.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is always going to be what makes your plan workable for your life and hunger patterns. I'd be unhappy with a 200 calorie dinner (or breakfast, I like a more even division), just as I can't do an early dinner or 6 mini meals. Even if those things make a small difference on average, the fact I'd go nuts and quit means they aren't right for me.

Even the better results in those studies usually don't meet the results of people working MFP consistently and successfully, too, and most of us worked with our own lifestyle preferences on matters like this.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I've lost a good amount of weight listening to my body. Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have a big dinner, sometimes I don't.

I think there's a lot more success in being able to recognize and follow your body's hunger cues than how big your breakfast is.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I like small breakfast. I eat most of my calories during dinner. I actually save the calories for later.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Need to read the whole study.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If I eat a large breakfast I tend to get discouraged. I like the reward of having a larger meal to look forward to.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you have Metabolic Syndrome? I'm almost at 300 lbs and I don't have it, yet. I'm sure its around the corner, but I don't have it.

All of the women in this study had it, and it is a cluster of conditions — increased blood pressure, a high blood sugar level, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol levels — that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

This seems like specific study for a very specific subgroup of obese women.

I think you're supposed to eat when you feel hungry and best suits your body type.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat two dinners. So, disagree.
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer having a large breakfast later in the morning. Or maybe two smaller ones. I hate feeling hungry in the morning.
    I can tolerate beeing a little bit hungry at night and normally, I'm not that hungry by dinner time, because I already had a lot of food in the day.