Burning myself out with no results!

Hi everyone,
Over 6 months I managed to lose a stone mostly through exercise and (almost) monitoring my calorie intake.

But after christmas I decided I was going to up my game and put my effort into both diet and exercise, but it seems after two weeks on my scales I'm either staying at the same weight or gaining weight.

Daily - 7am I will have porridge or two eggs on one slice of toast

Lunch - between 12-2pm - Soup or salad with chicken/turkey/beef and a packet of crisp (usually under 150 cal)

Dinner -7pm or later - Soup or beans on toast

At the gym I've really upped my training and started to do the following classes;
Tuesday - Kettle Bell 1 hour, and 2x metafit classes half an hour each.
Thursday - Indoor bootcamp class 1 hour and 2x metafit classes half an hour each.
Friday - 2 x metafit classes half an hour each.

Now I would have thought that I'd lose at least a pound doing this, I always make sure I eat extra protein on gym days but my body just seems to be completely refusing everything I'm doing at the moment. I seemed to have more success losing weight exercising less and eating more calories than I am now. Side Note - I have PCOS and take metformin and on the pill, as well as taking a low dosage prozac tablet every day. I also take green tea and chromium supplements every day.

Help! Suggestions, Ideas?

Replies

• HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    It's so frustrating when this happens! People are definitely going to tell you to eat more, but I hate it when they do that because I always think "if it was impossible to lose weight eating this little, then models wouldn't be so thin".

Having said that, I definitely think you need to make sure you're not snacking on things that you haven't added to this list (that was my problem), also I'm not sure about your alcohol intake but that was a problem for me in that I never really counted it. I also would recommend definitely eating more protein in general AND having a couple of extra snacks between meals (eating 5-6 smaller meals a day seems better). Make sure you drink some ice cold water when you wake up seems to help a little too. I also see that you're not eating that many fruit and veg, which are good for you because they will help speed up your digestive system :)

Kudos to you for eating soup twice a day though, I could *never* do that!
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    I looked at your food diary. There were only 4 complete (3 logged meals) days in January, and 2 of those you went over in calories. The days you weren't over in your calories, there was an insane amount of exercise calories. I don't know what you actually did, but a four-digit number for exercise calories seems very high. If this happens also during the days you don't log, no wonder you aren't losing.

If what you did last year worked for you, why did you decide to switch things up?
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    I'm no expert but my two cents if you're interested...

I watched a programme on weight loss this week and it reinforced the idea that most people see a plateau or even weight gain after a sustained period of losing as the body 'wants' to hold on to its weight. The way they suggested round that was basically lowering the calories to fit the new lower weight (which MFP does for us) and persistence.

Hearing what you're doing and eating, I wonder if you're actually eating enough. Personally I lose best when I'm about 100 under my total calories (including exercise calories. My main exercise is walking and I think MFP overestimates that quite a bit).

I don't know much about PCOS but I hear it does affect your weight so that's probably making it harder too.

Best of luck with it all and keep on keeping on! :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    gennieeexo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Over 6 months I managed to lose a stone mostly through exercise and (almost) monitoring my calorie intake.

But after christmas I decided I was going to up my game and put my effort into both diet and exercise, but it seems after two weeks on my scales I'm either staying at the same weight or gaining weight.

Lunch - between 12-2pm - Soup or salad with chicken/turkey/beef and a packet of crisp (usually under 150 cal)

At the gym I've really upped my training and started to do the following classes;
    Thursday - Indoor bootcamp class 1 hour and 2x metafit classes half an hour each.

Now I would have thought that I'd lose at least a pound doing this, I always make sure I eat extra protein on gym days but my body just seems to be completely refusing everything I'm doing at the moment. I seemed to have more success losing weight exercising less and eating more calories than I am now. Side Note - I have PCOS and take metformin and on the pill, as well as taking a low dosage prozac tablet every day. I also take green tea and chromium supplements every day.

Question: how are you measuring your food? If the answer is anything other than a food scale, that could be a HUGE factor. Buy a food scale (like 15 dollars at target) and weigh everything that you eat. You'll be surprised how wrong the cup/tbls measurements are.

• Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    I looked at your food diary. There were only 4 complete (3 logged meals) days in January, and 2 of those you went over in calories. The days you weren't over in your calories, there was an insane amount of exercise calories. I don't know what you actually did, but a four-digit number for exercise calories seems very high. If this happens also during the days you don't log, no wonder you aren't losing.

If what you did last year worked for you, why did you decide to switch things up?

Actually, I just looked at your food diary and there are very good points above. You must log consistently (and try to eat more consistently so you get into a good routine).

Your daily goal is nearly huge - how did you come to that number? I suggest you go back, plug in your details accurately, see what MFP gives you and try following that for a bit.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    gennieeexo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

NONE of that is important.

What are your NET calories? That is the only important piece of information ... and it's missing.

If you can't honestly and accurately answer that, then right there's your problem.

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited January 2015
    Find another way to track in addition to scales. Your weight may not be changing but your composition may be.

From October-December my weight on the scales didn't really change overall, yet I knew I was changing, with new clothes fitting, better definition etc. Turns out I lost around 1.5kg of fat, which was balanced on the scales by muscle (and some water).

Edit: Oh, and to reiterate (in a way) what others have said, keeping your calories relatively low while massively upping your exercise can make your body throw a bit of a strop. I know you said you eat a decent amount, don't start binging, but If you're confident that you're burning cals/keeping active etc, eat a little more. Your body is very good at burning what's available, especially when it's under physical exertion - and after, during the repair process etc.

For example, that lunch of yours is fine, especially if you're in an office job, but if you're then going off and forcing yourself to burn 3-400 calories, not only will you not have the energy to truly work your hardest, but your body won't be able to begin repairing/refuelling until you get more food. I used to work out on an empty stomach and lost weight, but for the past month or so, I've been making sure I eat (usually a bagel with butter + cheese) about an hour beforehand. This is an extra 3-400 calories, but my workouts have gone through the roof, and I'm seeing fat drop off/muscle gain, due to my body not having to worry about where it's next meal is, and thus repairing straight away.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You're not eating at a defecit and I would guess that's due to not weighing and logging your food and overestimating calorie burns

That said when you switch up exercise water weight can increase for muscle repair which could hide fat loss

Also if you are eating as little as you say you will crash and burn - wide nutritional input and fuel workouts appropriately
  • Hello,
    I would tell you, what I did to lose 10Kgs in 6 months, one year ago, with recommendations of Fitness trainer.
    1. What is your size and what is your level activity?.
    Look at this.
    Example: weight = 160Lbs. Gender= male. Level of activity = Moderate.
    Calories must be between (weight X 12 and weight X 14) = 160 X12 and 160 X14 = 1920 and 2240.
    Change your goal to 40% Protein, 25% Carbs, 35% Fats.

2. Eat 5 or 6 times a day meals smaller.
    3.Includes a source of protein at every meal : chicken, fish, eggs , meat or Whey Protein
    The protein has an important satiating effect also increases metabolism because the body burns 30% of their calories in digestion
    Carbohydrate digesting body burning only 5 to 10%

4.Eat fruits only in the morning . They are high in fructose, a simple sugar.
    Because fructose does not generate a significant impact on insulin many believe that no problem eating fruit at any time.

5.Consume natural complex carbohydrates with a low glycemic index. Moderately long with protein and when training
    The glycemic index is a value that is assigned to indicate carbs the speed with which it is absorbed and elevates blood glucose
    If greater than 55 have to limit them. They rise by as much insulin and this hormone prevents burn fat
    The best carbs are what nature gives us , our body responds best to them, the less processed better
    The best carbs : sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice , quinoa, not very ripe banana etc
    Fat Loss In 70% of the work is done the diet

6. Train weights with intensity training heavy and do not rest more than 30 or 60 seconds between each set.

7. If you are 100 % healthy cardiovascular practice fasting you just wake up in 45 minutes at moderate intensity or low
    When you wake your blood glucose levels and insulin levels are too low, and have not eaten your main source of energy is fat Should not take more than 45 minutes

8. Make high intensity intervals three times a week , not fasting. High intensity intervals

9. Drink 3 liters of water a day, this helps eliminate fluid retention , excess subcutaneous water also increases metabolism
    Take a pint of water increases your metabolism by 30% This thermogenic response can be given only 10 minutes later!
    When you drink water regularly have less appetite. Besides being well hydrated creates an ideal atmosphere to oxidize fat

10. Sleeps! It is important sleep 7-8 hours straight at night . This keeps your hormone levels under control
    It is important to understand that eating fat is lost ! .. Not stop eating , never consume less than 1200-1500 calories

I hope this information can help you.

Regards