Cheat days? Or cheat meals?

Options
How do you guys feel about cheat days or cheat meals? Today is my 15th day on a strict clean diet. I'm already down 6lbs. I don't want to mess with my progress but I do crave pizza or a burger or something in that nature!

Replies

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just include them in my day and make sure it fits my calorie count. :smile:

I had a Krapfen for breakfast. A sort of German doughnut. Some know it as Berliner.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat days" because you're really just cheating yourself. It's fine to indulge every once in a while, but I still keep myself accountable for the calories I've consumed. I just experienced this yesterday. lol One of my biggest set-backs is stopping at a gas station w/an empty stomach and caving for their junk food.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you want and make it all fit in.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    So have a burger.

I slightly undereat during the week so I can loosen the reins a bit on the weekends. It works really well for me.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    So have a burger.

I slightly undereat during the week so I can loosen the reins a bit on the weekends. It works really well for me.

I am trying this out right now in maintenance. So far so good!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    quickjeff wrote: »
    How do you guys feel about cheat days or cheat meals? Today is my 15th day on a strict clean diet. I'm already down 6lbs. I don't want to mess with my progress but I do crave pizza or a burger or something in that nature!

I follow IIFYM, I fit treats in, I don't 'cheat'.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    If you're craving red meat, have a lean cut of steak- satisfy your craving and keep at it! I listen to my cravings, no sacrifices but making better choices is giving me great satisfaction . Lifestyle not diet :)
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If it fits into calorie goals for the week, just go for it. I've had a million "cheats" since starting and I've still lost 82 pounds.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I hate the concept of strict diets with cheat days or cheat meals. My observation is that those who have that type of mentality toward weight loss seem to binge more and have bad feelings about food/themselves.
    I feel it is better to just say that food is food, have some of what you like on a regular basis and work it into your calorie goal or decide that it is worth exercising more to eat that kind of food. Of course you can eat larger portions of lower calorie foods than higher calorie foods but it isn't cheating to eat something. It is possible to plan and eat a hamburger or pizza and consistantly lose weight.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your current weight loss. Definitely have a day where you treat yourself but stay within your caloric daily limit. I had a meal at Applebee's yesterday and the caloric value was under 600 calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food last night and yes the calories were 85% of my calories for the day and I just fit it in so I could eat it. Although it was not "clean" food per se I guess I would call every Friday my "dirty" day.

You have to enjoy your food every day. If it entails a burger, pizza on a certain day of the week go a head and enjoy. You will know what works for you if it a meal or a day of eating "dirty" LOL
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I hate the concept of strict diets with cheat days or cheat meals. My observation is that those who have that type of mentality toward weight loss seem to binge more and have bad feelings about food/themselves.
    I feel it is better to just say that food is food, have some of what you like on a regular basis and work it into your calorie goal or decide that it is worth exercising more to eat that kind of food. Of course you can eat larger portions of lower calorie foods than higher calorie foods but it isn't cheating to eat something. It is possible to plan and eat a hamburger or pizza and consistantly lose weight.

This is how I feel about it too. I don't assign moral value to my food. It's all just food and it all has its place in a healthy lifestyle.

Like some of those above, I follow IIFYM. So I focus on getting enough protein and fat, I get a few servings of fruit/veg, and then if I want pizza, a burger, or a cupcake I have it. I don't spend one second feeling bad about it. I've been maintaining this way for 2 years-- no guilt, no binging, no need to "cheat."
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I set goals to avoid sugar 5 days a week. That seems to be my weakness - once I start eating it, I crave it and nothing else. Avoiding it seems to keep my diet on track. However, 2 days a week, I let myself indulge - but I fit it in my calorie count. For me, it's all about moderation and learning how to control cravings. It's not my "cheat day," but just the day I have a treat. And because I'm keeping it within my calories for the day, it's really not a cheat, is it? It's the healthy lifestyle I feel I can maintain long term.
    - Good luck!
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Days when you have exercised are great for fitting in your "cheat" IMO. You have extra calories to work with, at the end of the day you'll be able to meet your goal AND have that pizza.

Also try logging it ahead of time, or at least blocking out a certain number of calories with the "quick add calorie function" so you can pace yourself during the day.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I try to not think of any kind of eating as cheating. Anything is allowed as long as it fits my deficit. When I learned that I was not satisfied with my daily allowance I upped my excersice. Try to find a balance where you can sustain the lifestyle over a long period of time. (perhaps the rest of your life :) )
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want every day ;)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want every day ;)

Yup! Clean = not being on my floor lol
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its part of your plan then have that extra bonus food on he basis you know its extra calories. If you think its a free pass, then think again as your body still counts it as calories. It can be beneficial just by giving you a bit of a respite, but its at a cost.

Much better to fit it into your plan and much better to earn it through extra exercise imo.
  • JenW70503
    JenW70503 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would eat the burger if I wanted it, but I'd make it fit in my calorie allowance for the day--either by limiting my calories for other meals or doing enough exercise to make up for it or only eating 1/3 or 1/2 of the burger. For instance, tonight is date night for my husband and I, so I know I'll be eating more calories with dinner than I usually do. To make up for it, I had a very light breakfast and will have a very light lunch. I know I'll still be about 200 calories over (I already chose what I'll order and got the calorie counts for it) so I'm going to make sure I do enough exercise to burn off those 200. And if I don't finish my meal tonight, I'll have a bonus deficit that I wasn't anticipating.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Having something you want even if it's not in your clean plan is fine but a cheat day rather than cheat meal is effectively a day off rather than a treat.