Wanting to loose weight but keep my curves.

Options
Hi Ladies,
I want to loose about 30lbs. But I want to keep my curves. Does anyone have any suggestions on what food I should eat and exercises I should do?
Thanks,
Jere

Replies

• Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hmm - if you are naturally curvy, then will be curvy slim rather than curvy overweight! (not that you even look overweight in your pic from what I can see)

I'm a curvy girl but I love being 34, 26, 34 at 8st 4 rather than 36, 29, 36 as I am right now at 9st 9. I plan on losing the weight and continuing with all over toning exercises like cardio tennis and cross training, and adding in some weight resistance work.

Good luck with your journey!
    -
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it depends on genetics where you will lose the weight from? I do think some people do squats to build up more butt muscle, and if you don't get your body fat too low you're more likely to keep your hips for instance, from my understanding.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There is no telling, really. Some women lose weight and retain their curves even at a low weight, others lose most of their fat from all the wrong places and lose their curves. There is nothing special you need/can do to retain your curves. All you can do is lose weight and hope you belong to the first group. If you don't, or if you don't like the way you look at a lower weight, it's not a big deal. You can always gain back a few pounds until you are satisfied with the way you look.

Some issues, like a flat butt or stick-thin legs, can be fixed with strength training exercises that focus on that area, but that's about it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As you lose weight, you generally just become a smaller version of you and whatever shape you naturally have. If you tend to carry weight in your belly area, that will probably be where it comes off last--same thing if you carry extra fat in your thighs--it usually sticks there longer. My opinion is that a combination of strength and cardio with calorie deficit is the way to go, but again, its my opinion. In order to not lose all curves, you need a certain bf%. You lose most of your fat, you're going to be shredded! Not necessarily a bad thing, just not what you want.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options
    Depends on your genetics, really. With nearly 29lbs less I was surprised to discover that I've lost a lot on my waist because that was rather slim already - slim for my somewhat wide frame that is. And my pelvis turned out to be narrower than my shoulders in the end. Funny that! Never considered it possible. But I guess I'm still curvey at 35 27.5 34 with a BMI of 21.9. I guess doing some workouts that are hard on the *kitten* (very slow squats, lunges, hip thrusts come to mind) will build up some muscle there and keep that curvey. It works for me, but I do build muscle there easily. Again, it's genetics.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You can't spot lose fat. Your body will decide where your fat gets taken from, sorry :(
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've got an hourglass figure heavy and slim, muscles or not. It means no one notices I've gained weight until I lose my cheekbones. ;-( But I'm pretty happy at 35 26 37, 22.1 BMI and 20% BF.

It's all genetics. If you're curvy, you'll stay curvy. If not, you just have a different body type. Everyone is different.
  • DesertMermaid29
    DesertMermaid29 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use a weighted hula hoop. It helps a bit with the hour glass shape. LOTS of squats. Other then that, its up to your body
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce and the foods that you chose are not going to give you different shapes.

The best thing that you can do to look good at a lower weight is to increase your muscle tone and flexibility. So lifting weights, dancing and doing yoga are all good ideas.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Search for threads with women who do heavy lifting. All sorts of super sexy curves in those ladies! I can barely wait to get there myself!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Be sure to include strength training (heavy is best), because a curvy perky bottom is much cuter than a curvy droopy bottom.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs slowly a few years ago, and have largely been maintaining since then. I was curvy then and I'm curvy now, just a smaller, tighter, sleeker version. Strength training has made my bum rounder now than it ever was when I was 2 dress sizes bigger.
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi Jere,

I also want to lose 25-30 pounds. I am curvy now as I was at 150 lbs. Granted at 150 lbs, I was healthier.

Focus on your overall health... Less stress that way. <3