How often do you weigh in?

Options
I'll admit that until starting this app, I had not weighed myself in months. I never really gained or lost so it wasn't a big deal. Now that I'm actively trying to lose weight, I'm not sure. Should I weigh myself once a week? Every day? In the morning? Bedtime? Will it make a difference?

Replies

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    There was a tread on this yesterday and after reading it I decided to start weighing in everyday. I was going to weigh once a week but decided I wanted to know when I fluctuate so I don't freak out if I haven't lost anything for the week. I'll see if I can find the thread for you.
  • jawelding
    jawelding Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I only record it once a week. I find if I don't weigh myself regularly I don't pay as much attention to how much I'm eating or what I'm eating and suddenly I'm up 5-10 lbs
  • StrenMel
    StrenMel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, for the same reasons stated above.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Wake up, visit the bathroom, weigh in, do stuff all day, go to bed, repeat. Knowing how much your bodyweight fluctuates day to day helped me with when it went up and when it went down. Plot 7 day trends and I was fine.

Good luck on your journey.

40kgs lost in 8 months weighing in daily, weighing and logging everything that went in my mouth and just doing stuff. Type 2 obese to normal BMI. Your mental state might not cope, so you need to do what works for you.
  • JymArmy
    JymArmy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do it on the 1st and the 15th of each month.

The body will fluctuate daily, and some people go into O. M. G. mode when they see this. Don't worry, it happens. Typically weighing in first thing in the morning usually gets the best reading. Using the bathroom prior to using the scale is recommended, and without any clothing.
  • emmadawson79
    emmadawson79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do it in the morning , I can't help it , I have to do it everyday. I do only log it weekly though.
  • Barbs2222
    Options
    Sorry I couldn't find the thread.
  • Ssanyal
    Options
    I weigh in everyday, use the bathroom before, without clothes. I use a Withings body analyzer, so my weight syncs to MFP automatically, everyday. And yes, it helps to monitor and be aware of fluctuations. But I log everyday.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had set a goal to weigh myself everyday. When I was doing that I made progress. When I stopped doing that I gained weight.

Some experts claim that weighing yourself everyday can be discouraging due to weight fluctuations, but I believe that adults should be able to be understand that.

I suggest weighing yourself everyday but only focusing on weekly measurements. If you don't lose a pound per week, you may need to step it up a bit depending on where you are in your weight loss journey. People who are just starting out should see progress. It's when you are peaking that the scale gets really stubborn (a good problem to have).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Everyday in the morning. I average my daily for the week and record the average once a week. I've been in maintenance for 8 months and feel that recording the average for the week is a truer snapshot of my weight. I have just recently started averaging. I got a little weary of feeling like I had gained or lost when I had in fact maintained. Weight fluctuates daily.
  • saun7
    saun7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I weigh every day. I need to know when I eat too much for that day. I wish this program counted carbs instead of pushing calories but I deal with it. I no longer put my food into this program but I do put my weight in daily and my exercise
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself just once a week.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every two weeks. Being very close to goal losing is slower.
  • Barbs2222
    Options
    saun7 wrote: »
    I weigh every day. I need to know when I eat too much for that day. I wish this program counted carbs instead of pushing calories but I deal with it. I no longer put my food into this program but I do put my weight in daily and my exercise
    If you go into settings there's a place to change your food diary settings. It has carbs as one of them. :)

• goldnfoxy
    goldnfoxy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Every Saturday morning after i use the restroom
  • p0m3g4
    p0m3g4 Posts: 6
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Everyday in the morning. I average my daily for the week and record the average once a week. I've been in maintenance for 8 months and feel that recording the average for the week is a truer snapshot of my weight. I have just recently started averaging. I got a little weary of feeling like I had gained or lost when I had in fact maintained. Weight fluctuates daily.
    I thought I was the only one that did this. :)

I like seeing negative and neutral sloped trends on my weight charts (and also my debt charts, but that's a different forum, lol) B)
  • ebarbour0513
    Options
    I do it on the 1st and the 15th of each month.

The body will fluctuate daily, and some people go into O. M. G. mode when they see this. Don't worry, it happens. Typically weighing in first thing in the morning usually gets the best reading. Using the bathroom prior to using the scale is recommended, and without any clothing.

I may do this too! I used to weigh every week, but I've become so obsessed with weighing. It's crazy! I love your idea of only weighing twice in the month.