stretching ... runners

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Someone recently commented "stretch but not too much." I can't find it again to ask for clarification. Does this make sense? Related: how do I know if stretching a tweaked hip is likely to do more damage than good? Thx.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Static stretching (stretch and hold) right before a workout has a negative impact on workout intensity.

ETA: Science says static stretching is not bad if you hold the stretches less than 60 seconds. (This is a 2012 meta-study that incorporates the results of all the earlier "Stretching yay!" "Stretching boo!" studies floating around.)

Static stretching after a workout or in between workouts can increase flexibility and help protect joints from injury. Like, I am working on increasing calf flexibility to fight PF and peroneal tendinitis; I do those stretches 3 evenings a week but run/bike/swim in AM.

Dynamic stretching, when you're in motion (I think foam rolling would apply here?), can be part of a useful warm up and cool down around a run.

I can't comment on a "tweaked hip." I usually go by feel, the difference between good pain (foam rolling a tight IT band) and bad pain (biking into a tree)...
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What Cheshirecat said - stretch after not before. Before you can walk or run slowly to warm up, but stretching is for after you run.
  • ItIsTJ
    ItIsTJ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    One thing you want to stretch before a run is the Hip Flexors...Allows for a larger stride.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    static stretching after your run, dynamic warm-up before your run.