Frustrated About How Much Weight To Lose Weekly. Help?

Options
BooMonkeyButt
BooMonkeyButt Posts: 129 Member
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have MFP set for me to lose 2 pounds per week, which pretty much worked until I reached 141 pounds recently. I've always had problems meeting the daily 1200 calorie goal and if I decide to lower the weight loss goal per week, the daily calorie goal only gets higher. I don't know what to do but I'm extremely frustrated at this point.

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose 2 pounds a week. You should aim for half a pound or so now that you have less weight to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At 141 pounds, 2 pounds per week is going to be too aggressive. How tall are you and what's your goal weight?
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I know but I'm more concerned with the increased calorie goal. If I can't meet it at 1200, how will I meet it at 1860?
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and my goal weight is 120-125 pounds.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Forget the "pounds per week." Focus on what you eat and if you're losing. It doesn't really matter how fast you lose it, as long as it comes off. It's an average, anyway. MIT isn't really carved-in-stone, per week guarantee. :)

I'm not sure what you meant by "meeting" you goal. Can't eat that much? Can't eat that little?
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I do focus on what I eat but I'm not even losing weight anymore. I can't find a way to consume 1200 calories daily unless I'm eating something I shouldn't be.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You aren't supposed to eat less than 1200 calories. As you get lighter, you will burn fewer calories, so to continue to lose at 2 lbs per week, you will need to increase your physical activity so that you still have a 1000 calorie per day deficit.
  • malibu927
    Options
    I know but I'm more concerned with the increased calorie goal. If I can't meet it at 1200, how will I meet it at 1860?

Add in more calorie dense foods. Nuts/nut butters and full fat dairy items if you don't have any allergies. Avocados are also a good choice.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I changed the weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds per week because from what I've been reading, losing 2 pounds per week is too much. I'll see if it changes anything in terms of my weight because I'm sick of being stuck at 141 pounds.
  • malibu927
    Options
    I changed the weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds per week because from what I've been reading, losing 2 pounds per week is too much. I'll see if it changes anything in terms of my weight because I'm sick of being stuck at 141 pounds.

In that case, you're eating too much. Can you open your diary?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do focus on what I eat but I'm not even losing weight anymore. I can't find a way to consume 1200 calories daily unless I'm eating something I shouldn't be.

Been there!! If you have a medical thing and are on a special diet, call them up and discuss the problem. You may be referred to a dietitian who might be able to help. They might also say, "Let's try this..."

It can be really, really hard to hit 1200 calories if you have any limits, mostly because you get sick of eating. Sticking to the diet is hard enough. Eating what you're allowed gets old. Been there! Totally get it!

If you don't have any limits, add something with more fat. Just increasing fat in dairy products can help. Sugary breakfast cereals will add bunches of calories and not make you feel very full at all. There are million semi-healthy ways to increase calories if you aren't limited. :)
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I'm a very picky eater, which makes this process so much more difficult. And then it seems like once I see how many calories is in a certain food or whatnot, I'll be like, "Okay, I'll eat it" or "Forget it, it has too many calories."
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

In that case, you're eating too much. Can you open your diary?

Sure, hold on.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The real question here is, are you pushing yourself at the gym? Are you being honest about what you eat?
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    Done.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I don't go to the gym; I mostly do exercises and walking at home. But I had surgery last month so I'm limited to walking for the time being as long as I'm up to it. And yes, I'm being honest about what I eat.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If that's really all you eat, perhaps you should print out a couple of weeks worth of you food diary, and take it to your doctor.
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    The Doctor is pleased that I'm losing weight. It's kind of embarrassing to tell him I only consume 600 calories and I really don't feel like hearing a giant lecture from him.
  • lindabob77
    Options
    My goal per day is to have 3 meals that are between 300-350cal each then 2 snacks of around 100-150cal, I make sure my lunch is bigger then dinner by adding bread or brown rice :) Goodluck hope this helped
  • BooMonkeyButt
    Options
    I really like that idea but I'm just unsure if I'd be able to eat that much food without getting sick.