Does the fitness industry care about beginners?

Options
I was trying out a beginner fitness routine on my Xbox One and while I did okay, it wasn't easy.

I got to thinking, if this so called "beginner" routine challenged me, what would it be like for someone over 100 pounds overweight who is over 50?

I think there is a huge market for products and services that target people who are obese. They need videos that ease them into a fit lifestyle. They need magazines, books, web sites that don't showcase people with ripped abs or huge biceps.

I'm a big fan of "The Biggest Loser" but the workouts they show are extreme. Those people don't lose weight from those theatrical workouts. If that was all they did they would be out of commission before the second week.

Could the fitness industry's constant focus on "extreme", "insane", "hardcore", etc be turning away people who really need the help?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The fitness industry at large cares about money...that is all...just like any other industry.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think that game may have just got the challenge level wrong, to be honest.

Beginners are where a lot of companies make the most money - be it sportswear, supplements, gym plans, etc. Most grow out of needing the must have pill or accessory once they stick to their plan and realise how simple it can be, but there's a massive market for those who get all hyped up or look for an easy fix at the beginning of their journey.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your are both right. There is no financial incentive for the fitness industry to actually help people. They make their money from people who give up. That why there are gyms with great equipment for $10/month.

• Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Of course they do! They make the most money from beginners.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! I admittedly subscribe to several of the girly fitness magazines and I get annoyed with one thing each month! The exercise routines. I weight 230-240 and am 5'7" I should ideally be at 130-140. All the things they show has some fit *kitten* twig hold plank for like 5 minutes and I just skip it because shoot if I could even do that for 5 seconds I'd be surprised! Not once have I seen a fitness routine that helps bigger people get to the point where they CAN do that! These magazines are supposed to help you get fitter and healthier but they seem to fail to realize that not every one starts out there. That is my one pet peeve with things like that!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    People, in general, tend to think that things that are more complicated work better or faster. Selling a fitness plan that says "just move more" would be difficult and people would scream for a refund.
  • FitnessTim
    Options
    Whenever I fall off the wagon and need to get back in shape, I start with walking and borrowing my wife's little hand weights for strength training. My beginner routine could be done by an obese 60 year old. I can dial up the crazy after I've re-established the habit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's kind of a chicken and egg thing...people want quick fixes...people think they need to go from 0 - 100 MPH overnight and exercise excessively to get in a good workout (when in reality a good long walk would probably be more beneficial)...so the industry is more than willing to cater to these people offer all manner of supplement and miracle weight loss plans and high intensity workouts.

Unfortunately, just telling someone to start going for long walks and building up their fitness doesn't really make anyone any money. It's all about the Benjis....$$$$$
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    The fitness industry preys on beginners. Whether it cares about them or not is probably a matter of perception.
    I couldn't agree more! I admittedly subscribe to several of the girly fitness magazines and I get annoyed with one thing each month! The exercise routines. I weight 230-240 and am 5'7" I should ideally be at 130-140. All the things they show has some fit ***** twig hold plank for like 5 minutes and I just skip it because shoot if I could even do that for 5 seconds I'd be surprised! Not once have I seen a fitness routine that helps bigger people get to the point where they CAN do that! These magazines are supposed to help you get fitter and healthier but they seem to fail to realize that not every one starts out there. That is my one pet peeve with things like that!

Well not to put too fine a point on it, but you won't get too far with that attitude. Everyone starts somewhere. If you can only hold a plank for 5 seconds, that's fine. Hold it for 5 seconds, the next time hold it for 7 seconds, then, 10, etc. Don't make excuses.....Adapt and Conquer

I never said I don't try. I simply don't do their exercises. I have found I much prefer using my treadmill or a bike. In the spring I look forward to walking out side and enjoying nature. I am simply stating it would be nice if they so much as even TOLD you what you already said. I see no reason not once can they write IF you can't do this move than start out slower etc. But they don't they write it like they just automatically expect some one who isn't fit to magically do this stuff. I also see no reason why they can't show more people actually getting fit instead of the always skinny type. I simply think it would be way more motivating
    and less frustrating if more company's could see this.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The fitness industry cares deeply about gullible beginners.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Try to find decent exercise clothing when you are a size 30 woman. I used to get a nice catalog from a company called "Title IX" but all of their clothing stopped at a size 14. There is a market for large size exercise clothing but it is a smaller one compared to the 0-14 range so most companies don't bother.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitness pro, and I have to say that most of the consumer fitness magazines do ignore beginners - even their beginner routines assume some prior experience. However, having said that, most fitness people are pretty sensitive to beginners; everyone starts somewhere and a lot of people are not going to become gym rats.

In addition to working with rank beginners, I also teach Zumba. The philosophy of Zumba is that the instructor is not a performer (S)he is a teacher. We are told right from the beginning that if we want to be a star, we should go try out on Broadway.

The back row is our bread and butter. We count on beginners coming back to a class a second time, and a third...

This country is in a epidemic of an overweight, sedentary population (excuse my grammar). Most people I know, who were drawn to the fitness field have undergone some personal transformation that has left them with a lot of empathy for a beginner's struggle.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    I was trying out a beginner fitness routine on my Xbox One and while I did okay, it wasn't easy.

I got to thinking, if this so called "beginner" routine challenged me, what would it be like for someone over 100 pounds overweight who is over 50?

I think there is a huge market for products and services that target people who are obese. They need videos that ease them into a fit lifestyle. They need magazines, books, web sites that don't showcase people with ripped abs or huge biceps.

I'm a big fan of "The Biggest Loser" but the workouts they show are extreme. Those people don't lose weight from those theatrical workouts. If that was all they did they would be out of commission before the second week.

Could the fitness industry's constant focus on "extreme", "insane", "hardcore", etc be turning away people who really need the help?

In most cases, your parents/close family/close friends are the only people in the world that actually care about your or even consciously think about your existence. Companies care about $$$, not you.
  • FitnessTim
    Options
    Another thing. Fitness should not be associated with body builders who take non-prescriptions steroids. I'm not judging but people who risk their health to artificially enhance their physique has nothing to do with fitness.

In all likelihood, most of the fitness models we see are on something. It's gotten to the point where we expect anyone dedicated to fitness to have ripped abs and huge pectoral muscles when in reality only the very elite natural bodybuilders look like that. I'm not even going to bring up what they do in Photoshop.

Achieving ripped abs is not about fitness, it's about the challenge. There were times when I was able to get my body fat down to the single digits but it was for the challenge. In that state I would be one missed meal from passing out - not healthy at all.

Bodybuilding is fun and rewarding but let's not confuse it with fitness. It's a great hobby that will help you in your fitness journey but once you get past a certain point it is more about vanity than fitness.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There is no financial incentive for the fitness industry to actually help people. They make their money from people who give up. That why there are gyms with great equipment for $10/month

Sounds like you're referring to Planet Fitness, which has almost a thousand clubs. They cater to beginners who are intimidated by hardcore gyms. Which contradicts your first post.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The fitness industry at large cares about money...that is all...just like any other industry.
    This. That's why there are so many "new" training methods, programs, philosophies, etc. Many try to cater to a certain type of person/group and benefit from the money that gets spent by them.
    What's funny is that practically all exercise programs work on just a few things: strength, fitness, or general health. With strength, you're always going to do resistance training. With fitness it could be cardio or a combination of cardio and strength together. And then there's just general health which usually includes physical exercise with golf, rock climbing, skiing, etc.
    The fitness industry is smart and knows how to advertise programs with key words or phrases to entice people to pay extra to do that program. Now while I'm part of that industry, the majority of my clients have approached me and not the other way around. It's great that way because I know I didn't have to try to persuade them. They just made the decision themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bpimks
    bpimks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I once worked for an internet company and the business plan of the owner was "we want customers to pay for a service monthly but Hope they never use it." I would imagine the fitness industry feels much the same way.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    There is no financial incentive for the fitness industry to actually help people. They make their money from people who give up. That why there are gyms with great equipment for $10/month

Sounds like you're referring to Planet Fitness, which has almost a thousand clubs. They cater to beginners who are intimidated by hardcore gyms. Which contradicts your first post.

True, Planet Fitness isn't a good example of the phenomenon described in his first post. Quite the contrary; their problem is that they try to make exercise seem easy and relaxing (hence their lunk alarms and their huge "relaxation zones"). There's a place for light, easy exercise, but on the whole, it's not a good way to achieve results.